Swordfight Lameness in Movies

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Lightsabers and aliens would've at least made for an entertaining story. Saying that the basic storyline was there is like saying that the basic storyline of Mein Kampf was found in the Matrix. There are a few names and shit happens. That's about the similarity.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

whatever you say...
does this work
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Now you're getting it. Try reading the story then watching the movie. Or just ask someone who's read the story. Or at least has a vague grasp of it. The movie was a two hour spectacle of nothing. Characters had the same name and there was a fight over some bitch. Wow. That sure was closely tied, what with all the characters being anything like how they should, and the gods themselves putting force into each swing as Ajax slew hundreds and Hitler flew in on his ornithopter and ate every last one of the million man marchers.

Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

jetbaby has a point, while the film Troy perhaps has the potential for minor entertainment, it would be flagrantly idiotic to suggest it was even remotely faithful to The Illiad on any worthwhile level . . .

*looks*

Why am I not surprised ?

Regardless, I firmly believe a film would never be able to do justice to so great a work of literature. :drunk:
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

most siege films do really well anyway, but the reason i posted Troy earlier was because if its fight scene's not its historical literary accuracy
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

I caught the context, avenger. Regarding sword work, Troy was amusing in my opinion. 'Twas nice to see people aiming for their opponent rather than their opponent's weaponry for a change. Had to switch my brain off first though, the classical literature purist within balked at the concept of the film . . . :drunk:
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

Are you by chance a Cancerian?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

avenger69ie wrote:... i posted Troy earlier was because if its fight scene's not its historical literary accuracy
Oh, I know. And I agreed. I was just pointing out that the rest of the movie other than a fight or two sucked. And the fights would've actually made it worth my time if he were actually invulnerable, not just a good fighter. That movie was a letdown, for the most part.

avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

ahh, i enjoyed it though. i liked the way that hector and Achilles were portrayed as almost godlike hero's... which is basiclly what they were according to the legend...acting in those kind of films is usually over dramatic because nobody has anything to base their acting on besides eitehr legend of history books,
gladiator was like that too, but gladiator was one of the first hi-tech high budget films of that class. so it doesnt get as much stick as what troy would have.
When you compare the acting in gladiator to Spartacus... its almost identical... that is if ye can ignore kirk douglas's chin-hole dimple.

nevertheless, i enjoyed both films
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

avenger69ie wrote:Are you by chance a Cancerian?
Being uncertain of the exact reason(s) for this question, I will provide an emphatic : no comment.

Oh, and a huzzah. There are never enough huzzahs. :drunk:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Troy was a girl movie. My friend with which I went to see it was all over Brad Pitt's new muscles and abs. FFS.

It would have been fun to see more of Ulysse, and much less of Achilles. Also, Glover can't act anymore and he was fucking annoying.
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

Blargh wrote:
avenger69ie wrote:Are you by chance a Cancerian?
Being uncertain of the exact reason(s) for this question, I will provide an emphatic : no comment.

Oh, and a huzzah. There are never enough huzzahs. :drunk:

it was just something you said distinctly remined me of a horoscope thing i read about general cancerian attitude... i know i know ...its bullshit, but anyway that was the reason.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Has anyone here seen the recent Zatoichi movie? I'd like to know where on the good/shitty scale its swordfights fall.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Zatoichi was awesome, even if you take out the swordfights, the whole movie is incredible.

Beat Takeshi is crazey,
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

Kitano "beat" Takeshi to be precise

Post by Guest »

Blargh wrote:I believe you have to personally experience it to truly know and appreciate it. If you haven't, I ponder how well you could equate what you see in a film to anything remotely realistic, or begin to know the difference(s).
Oh, cram it. The point of any swordfight is to kill the other person, as Franz said. A director doesn't need to be familiar with the intricate workings of one-on-one combat or the pulsing adrenaline that comes with performing the art of swordfighting - he just needs to have Person A try to slice Person B in half. The rest is just cause and effect: Person B blocks said strike and retaliates with one of his own, which Person A either blocks or ducks, and so on. It's very simple, and you needn't have personally fought with swords to direct a good swordfight scene.

(And if you reply, please don't make long-winded, pretentious jabs at my inferior intelligence or hopeless lack of comprehension which only your divine intellect can even attempt to adopt. Just reply.)
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

avenger69ie wrote:Kitano "beat" Takeshi to be precise
I know :D
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Kitano and Takeshi? sounds rather zany to me :drunk:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Actually it's Takeshi Kitano.
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

susan wins the deluxxx bukkake goggles pack for being showing all you up...
does this work
Our Host!