Fallout plot inconsistencies.

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Fallout plot inconsistencies.

Post by Radoteur »

I guess this is a response to Tank's little bit of heresey. :wink:

I've just talked with Zax the supercomputer and I think i could make this work.

The idea that they need the people in my Vault makes sense now. I'm not sure of the exact line, but it says that if it is injected into a person with genetic damage, like from radiation, it results in massive overhauling resulting in organ damage and death. Zax doesn't seem absolutely positive about transmission of the virus. He says something like "Typically, you need to be injected or dipped."

I don't see why anyone would care that the mutants were sterile. They could have kept a group of humans as "hosts" (Children of Catherdal, anyone?) They would let the humans reproduce, in controlled conditions, and make them mutants. The mutant population would have a very low death rate, because "cell death would be offset by augmented growth"

Remember. Zax was cut off from the outside world for a very long time.
Those infected by the FEV virus became super smart, but might not have been able to unlock all of its mysteries.

I admit there are inconsitencies with the plot, but the creators of Fallout, in theory, could explain away everything. Just because someone says something doesn't mean it is fact. Esp. in a post-apocalyptic world.
Richy
Regular
Regular

Post by Richy »

if the designers pulled something like that out of their ass, that would just be as lame as shit.... <richy throws foreign fruits at those who would ever pull off such a thing>
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

The virus does not like even the slightest mutations. Why do you think 99% of the muties are so dumb?
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Tank wrote:The virus does not like even the slightest mutations. Why do you think 99% of the muties are so dumb?
The more radiated you are, the more unpredictable FEV is with you.
------------------
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:
Tank wrote:The virus does not like even the slightest mutations. Why do you think 99% of the muties are so dumb?
The more radiated you are, the more unpredictable FEV is with you.
Well, I knew this, but i guess thanks for clarifying.

See:
Radoteur wrote:The idea that they need the people in my Vault makes sense now. I'm not sure of the exact line, but it says that if it is injected into a person with genetic damage, like from radiation, it results in massive overhauling resulting in organ damage and death.
I guess i would also feel a little ripped off if the developers tried to do damage control, but i guess i would also be a little pleased that they are at least trying.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

But again, we can't be too harsh on a universe which does not exist ;)
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

What do you mean it doesn't exist?
It does exist. At least thats what the voices in my head tell me.
They have never lied.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

A true believer! Woohoo!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Ashmo
Respected
Respected

Post by Ashmo »

According to a passage somewhere in Fallout (I think it was the first one, but I won't bet on it) the FEV got pumped into the atmosphere when some nukes hit FEV research facilities.
This FEV was also mutated by the radiation and that's why every wasteland dweller becomes a stupid mutant when being dipped. Maybe Grey wasn't exposed to the atmosphere too long... he must have been dipped early according to what Harold says.
The longer you live in the wasteland, the more of the mutated FEV is being absorbed by your body - not enough to cause a complete mutation, but still enough to damage your DNA.
That's why you can become a Nightkin (the bright ones are obviously all Nightkins).
M2K wrote:HELLO
Dan wrote:LEAVE.
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

No thats MCA being a moron and trying to explain all the mutations with modern reasons, instead as good ol' 50's mutation radiation as the original designers had set out.

Its another example of the FO Bible being shite.

he fails to realise the West Tec site was SATURATED with nuclear weaponary, it tore the tectonic crust up around the place (shown by lava flows and such on the map). there is no way the SMALL amount of FEV that might have still been contained at the base could have actually done everything it said it did.

Also Mariposa wasnt blown up until the end of FO1 this is where all the FEV was, and as such it must have travled back in time to do all the damage :wink:
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

No thats MCA being a moron and trying to explain all the mutations with modern reasons, instead as good ol' 50's mutation radiation as the original designers had set out.

Its another example of the FO Bible being shite.

he fails to realise the West Tec site was SATURATED with nuclear weaponary, it tore the tectonic crust up around the place (shown by lava flows and such on the map). there is no way the SMALL amount of FEV that might have still been contained at the base could have actually done everything it said it did.

Also Mariposa wasnt blown up until the end of FO1 this is where all the FEV was, and as such it must have travled back in time to do all the damage :wink:
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Of course it is real, Radoteur! Everybody knows that. The dumb people don't. They're just jealous the voices are talking to us.[/quote]
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Also, the FEV couldn't mutate, remember??? That's what I said Zax said. Zax=FO1=the real Fallout.

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Tank wrote:Also, the FEV couldn't mutate, remember??? That's what I said Zax said. Zax=FO1=the real Fallout.
Huh? How does the FEV make mutants then? Could you please explain that to me? I haven't had a talk with Zax in a very long time, and I'm feeling really dumb right now, thanks to you. :P
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Slave_Master wrote: Huh? How does the FEV make mutants then? Could you please explain that to me? I haven't had a talk with Zax in a very long time, and I'm feeling really dumb right now, thanks to you. :P
FEV, the virus itself, doesn't mutate. It does mutate what it affects.
------------------
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me Prov. I'm going to have to look it up, because I thought that viruses, as a rule, mutate. That may not be the case as it is a man made virus, but I'll still have to check.

As for the Mariposa thing, yeah I can see that. Only the top two, or three, levels were destroyed at the Glow, and all the FEV research was at the the bottom. But even if the whole base was nuked to rubble, I can't see how a small trace of FEV for research could have mutated everything in the world.

Oh, I got it! The government moved the FEV project to Mariposa AFTER the War! That explains how the FEV got all around the world! :roll:
fuck
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

I think they moved it during the war.
It also looks like it wasn't exactly safe, since some chimpanzees died.
Here's a pretty interesting tidbit, a pair of raccoons injected with a strain of the FEV virus escaped. So, there may be a pair of mutated coons running around. Mutated coonskin hat... That would be interesting.
Beef
Respected
Respected

Re: Fallout plot inconsistencies.

Post by Beef »

Radoteur wrote:I admit there are inconsitencies with the plot, but the creators of Fallout, in theory, could explain away everything. Just because someone says something doesn't mean it is fact. Esp. in a post-apocalyptic world.
And there was both me and the developers thinking that no one would ever study their game hard enough to be able to remember the plot, all the character's names, what happens in the game and every (over exaggeration here - ) single item of damage you took. I, for one, enjoyed the game on face-value. But i guess you could use all these points to have a detailed argument with interplay if you really did want to...
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Beef wrote:But i guess you could use all these points to have a detailed argument with interplay if you really did want to...
Yeah. No wonder why they made FoT, they were just pissed we knew more about the game universe then they did! :D
Radoteur wrote:, a pair of raccoons injected with a strain of the FEV virus escaped. So, there may be a pair of mutated coons running around
I could just imagine the next edition of the Fallout Bible: "Actually, the FEV could not have caused the mutations. It was the two mutated raccoons!
fuck
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

The mutated raccons that escaped were the reason there are mole rats. They escaped, bred, and reproduced in very large numbers causing the many stupid random encounters you get with them.
Our Host!