Long live heavy metal

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Kashluk

Long live heavy metal

Post by Kashluk »

This topic is meant for discussing about the greatest of all music genres - metal - in all of it's forms. You little pussy swell guy with no taste in music can stay the fuck off from this topic. This is for real men only :dance: yay, blue oyster.

Let the thrashing begin!

---------------------------------------------------------

I found some real treasures today: A Semblance Of Normality -album by Skyclad, from this year... Brand new folkish stuff is always appriciated. I've been listening to the track A Good Day To Bury Bad News non-stop for the whole evening. Another jewel I managed to get my hands on was Waylander's Reawakening Pride Once Lost. A track really worth mentioning is Born To Fight, a magnificent combination of wood pipes and death metal.

And of course, Finntroll's Nattfödd is waiting it's turn in the CD player. God, I love that album.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Okay, I'll tolerate this for now. But contrary to popular beleif, heavy metal is not rock and roll (baby).

I like Black Sabbath, though?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, if we get all theoretical with this stuff, we'll find out that metal has so much variety within itself that it's tough to say anything for sure. Not to mention that many bands play music from several (sub-)genres and even combine different elements from several genres in *a single song* already. Genres in general pretty much suck, too. But back to the point.

Nu-Metal, Death Metal, Folk-Metal and Heavy Metal are pretty much the opposing extremes of the scene, Black Sabbath belonging somewhere between hard rock, heavy and heavy metal. It's cool, nevertheless. Even though I'm not a really big fan, I listen to it from time to time.

And by the way - what did you mean with the "heavy metal is not rock and roll (baby)"? You'll tolerate it for now? Huh? More question marks?!?!
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I dont listen to music, so die you hippies.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

"I'll tolerate it for now" means I won't delete this crappy thread. As for heavy metal not being rock and roll, well, I think that statement is pretty obvious. It ain't. Even prog-metal like Tool isn't that good.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Ah, I didn't realize you were a mod around here as well. And I first thought that you meant genres, not "isn't good" with "isn't rock and roll".

Anyhow. I'm waiting for Nicolai and the other metal heads to settle in, so we can start talking shit about albums and stuff.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Fine, carry on. Nothing to see here folks.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

'Been listening a lot to the older Burzum-albums lately, 's pretty good stuff, you should check it out if you haven't already.

Oh, and get this :dance:
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

I've been listening to Renegade by Styx lately. Good stuff.

Black Sabbath is a great band, but it took me awhile to figure out the reason why the Black Sabbath song Iron Man sounds so much like Ozzie Osbourne's song of the same name. He's the singer! I know, I'm stupid.

Blue Oyster Cult is great too, but I have never heard anything other than Don't Fear the Reaper on the radio.

AC/DC is also a favorite band of mine. Though they are technically not Metal, they are still great in their own right. Hells Bells and Back in Black are great classics.

And of course, Metallica is the best metal band, ever. I have four of their albums right now, and I can honestly say that every single song on three of the four is good. Those albums are Metallica (also known as "the Black Album"), Kill 'Em All (their first album), and Master of Puppets.

The bad album I own is their most recent one, St. Anger. The only decent songs on that one is Frantic and St. Anger.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Long live heavy metal

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Kashluk wrote:You little pussy swell guy with no taste in music can stay the fuck off from this topic.
Irony?
Harriers for the cup.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Re: Long live heavy metal

Post by Ernesto »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Kashluk wrote:You little pussy swell guy with no taste in music can stay the fuck off from this topic.
Irony?
Translation: "Whoa, calm down there Avril!"
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Styx is pretty rad, yeah, and BOC's Godzilla is damn near unbeatable for awesomeness. History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of meeeen--Godzilla!
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

godzilla just might be the best song ever, don't fear the reaper is damn good too..,

does this work
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Nicolai wrote:'Been listening a lot to the older Burzum-albums lately, 's pretty good stuff, you should check it out if you haven't already.

Burzum? Honestly, I've never heard of this band. I guess I'll go get some songs ASAP.

Amon Amarth sounds promising - really promising. Is The Avenger an old album? And are all the tracks as good as that one? This kind of basic smash-em-up is always welcome.

Oh and I got a Vintersorg album today! Cosmic Genesis, pretty tough shit... Some kind of a weird combination of folk-ish, power & speed and black metal. They got both clean and growling vocals and a whole pile of kewl keyboard tricks.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Kashluk wrote:
Nicolai wrote:'Been listening a lot to the older Burzum-albums lately, 's pretty good stuff, you should check it out if you haven't already.

Burzum? Honestly, I've never heard of this band. I guess I'll go get some songs ASAP.

Amon Amarth sounds promising - really promising. Is The Avenger an old album? And are all the tracks as good as that one? This kind of basic smash-em-up is always welcome.

Oh and I got a Vintersorg album today! Cosmic Genesis, pretty tough shit... Some kind of a weird combination of folk-ish, power & speed and black metal. They got both clean and growling vocals and a whole pile of kewl keyboard tricks.
Yar, The Avenger was released in 1999, and they've relled 3 or 4 albums since then. Pretty much all of their stuff is as good as (or better) than Metalwrath \o.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Wow. That means two more bands to check out, yo yo \;;-|
RawonaM
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by RawonaM »

I just got Saxons brand new album Lionheart and it Rocks! :joy: The new drummer Jörg Michaels (Stratovarius) sounds great too... Maybe a bit too power metallish to Saxons style.
Ive also been listening to Tarot (which is way better than Nightwish in my opinion) alot. Another great finnish band is Peer Günt! Great songs...
Long Live Rock n' Roll
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I really dislike Peer Günt. I think it... it... it's hard to explain, but it just sucks, plain and simple - on every level.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

:chew: ALERT ALERT ENTER YOUR HOMES :chew:
:chew:
RawonaM
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by RawonaM »

Some people like and some dont... thats the way things go :yes:
Long Live Rock n' Roll