The Books thread.

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Nooke
I'm a little twat

Post by Nooke »

Speed_demon wrote:
Nooke wrote:
Speed_demon wrote:Let's see your fancy pent-o-gram protect you against that
I don't have the balls to fuck
Fail.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

how deep :che:

report from da dark heart of congo:
started delving into the world of vonnegut yesterday, using cat's cradle as a springboard. 75pp in and enjoying the ride so far.

what else did you pick up with your massive gift card, naegro?
NakedLunch
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by NakedLunch »

I got Moby Dick, Einstein's Dreams, another Borges' book, and In the American Grain :deep:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Wikipedia makes Einstein's Dreams out to be quite the snazzy little book. I do suspect that I will have to check it out. How would you rate it on the Gass-Wallace scale?

:party:

report from a previously unexplored subconscious: chillaxing with the rise and fall of the third reich. shirer's research is quite outdated, but it is an interesting read nonetheless :fun fact:
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

:pretentious pseudo-intellectual bullshit: gibariba
NakedLunch
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by NakedLunch »

It's pretty postmodern, chief. But highly recommended. Quick easy read that still yet manages to make the mind behave in strange ways. Go to it, pilgrim.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I'll.. look into it. :google:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Have any of you gimps read any of David Britton's stuff? His book "Motherfuckers: The Auschwitz of Oz" sounds mighty interesting, but seem to be a bit hard to come by. :sadblinky:
NakedLunch
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by NakedLunch »

Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

hardcover edition? sixty buckaroos? used? nigga please :subhuman:

maybe I'll just get it directly from the publisher
sarge112
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by sarge112 »

entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

lol internet exploder
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I'm almost through Dies the Fire, and it's gotten pretty good. It's definitely not one of the best post apoc books I read. Although, I'd say it ranks with Lucifer's Hammer. They're both very long, have a million characters, there's groups of good guys, mercenary types, bad guys lead by Lord Humongous types, cannibalism, and dead bodies everywhere. The Wiccan shit mostly surrounds one chick and her group of hippies that live together on a farm. It's incredibly dorky, fortunately everyone else in the book thinks so too.

I do think it's intriguing to imagine what would happen if all the electronics and modern technology suddenly stopped functioning. We go back to medieval times, basically. I can't help but think how much better (and different) the book would have been if Stirling threw guns into the mix.

Next up in the not too distant future:
The Aliens vs. Predator series written by Steve Perry, Stephani Perry, and David Bischoff in the early 90's. I picked up the comics when I was a kid, but didn't rediscover the book series until a few days ago.
AvP: Prey is the first one, and I remember it was the basis of the original AvP movie script. Predators drop off Aliens on a desert planet for their younger members to fight and become "blooded". Unfortunately, there's a human colony of ranchers aliready there and shit hits the fan. Meanwhile a ship of Colonial Marines is heading toward the planet to do stuff.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

sarge112 wrote:Image
Auschwitz -- Waist management :evil_laugh:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Auschwitz diet really works. That's why you can't read about this stuff in the yellow press.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

It's a well-kept secret. :salute:
sarge112
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by sarge112 »

not anymore
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Mad Max RW wrote:I'm almost through Dies the Fire, and it's gotten pretty good. It's definitely not one of the best post apoc books I read. Although, I'd say it ranks with Lucifer's Hammer. They're both very long, have a million characters, there's groups of good guys, mercenary types, bad guys lead by Lord Humongous types, cannibalism, and dead bodies everywhere. The Wiccan shit mostly surrounds one chick and her group of hippies that live together on a farm. It's incredibly dorky, fortunately everyone else in the book thinks so too.

I do think it's intriguing to imagine what would happen if all the electronics and modern technology suddenly stopped functioning. We go back to medieval times, basically. I can't help but think how much better (and different) the book would have been if Stirling threw guns into the mix.

Next up in the not too distant future:
The Aliens vs. Predator series written by Steve Perry, Stephani Perry, and David Bischoff in the early 90's. I picked up the comics when I was a kid, but didn't rediscover the book series until a few days ago.
AvP: Prey is the first one, and I remember it was the basis of the original AvP movie script. Predators drop off Aliens on a desert planet for their younger members to fight and become "blooded". Unfortunately, there's a human colony of ranchers aliready there and shit hits the fan. Meanwhile a ship of Colonial Marines is heading toward the planet to do stuff.
Read all the avp books and still own them. from what I remember they were quite good.

Also, with dies the fire, I still have yet to pick up meeting at corvalis but I must say...from what I've heard, it keeps going much the same. I agree about the wiccan shit but, definitely a good book and an interesting exploration of that scenario.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Anyone read The Lost Civilizations of the Stone Age by Richard Rudgley?

It's pretty entertaining if you are into prehistoric life and how basic written word and languages were developed.
It's pretty much a book on how ancient cultures were way more advanced than we originally thought they were and a study on how certain things developed in certain areas.

I'm only about a third of the way through but you should pick it up if you like a little history. It ain't light reading though.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Our Host!