The Books thread.

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Moved to the appropriate forum... and on the topic of books, the latest Terry Pratchett one (Going Postal) is pretty good so far.
Cool, I read most of the Discworld series up to "The Last Continent" but I think "Hogfather" has to be my favourite. I can see its one of your favourites too judging from your handle. Anyone read "Good Omens" by Pratchett and Neil Gaiman?
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Good Omens was terrific, as is anything else by Gaiman. And I thought that Last Continent was pretty weak for Pratchett. It seemed to just be a long joke about Australia rather than a good novel.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

I just finished Palahniuk's Survivor. It's a great satire/commentary on religion and it's relationship to modern media. Palahniuk's Lullaby and Choke (Great fucking books by the way) were much better compared to Survivor -- It didn't move like Chuck's other books and the end of Survivor lacked the omph he's famous for.

Now I'm going to read the Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy series. I've heard fan-fucking-tastic things about the epic but I've never took the time to read it.

Hopefully all the references in Dongo Weener and in the Fallouts will finally make sense.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

The weakest Discworld novel I think was <b>Monstrous Regiment</b>, which I never even finished. It seemed to be a bad attempt by Pratchett at feminism.

<b>Going Postal</b>, however, is turning out to be excellent, though like Pratchett's other recent novels, is based around Ank-Morpork (or however it's spelt).

<b>Good Omens</b> is one of my favourite books. Completely brilliant.

As for serious books, I really like EM Forster's <b>Passage to India</b>, though I've only really read it once. Lots of philosophies about the nature of the universe and stuff. Also <b>Jude the Obscure</b> by Thomas Hardy is a powerful read. Very anti-religion and anti-establishment, which is a brave thing to do considering the time and place it was written (around 1900 I think, in England). And the circumstances around the book concering Hardy are interesting, if depressing. I think it was the book that persuaded him to stop writing novels, and it was around the time his wife died, or maybe I'm getting things mixed up. I know he refused to speak to his wife on her death bed in the upstairs room, she died, and he was filled with remorse and gave up writing novels for the rest of his life and only wrote poetry.
Last edited by Mr. Teatime on Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Is it just me or is Neuromancer a fucking hard book to follow?
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

have any of you bum-faces read snow crash FFS
:chew:
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

r they stuk in a anvalance?
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Ernesto wrote:Is it just me or is Neuromancer a fucking hard book to follow?
Its an odd book to follow. But I think its only hard to follow when you start. Its been a while since I have read it.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Ernesto wrote:r they stuk in a anvalance?
yea lol btw has your skin cancer eaten at your organs yet bye

It's about Hiro Protagonist whose a hacker, samurai swordsman and pizza-delivery driver. And this girl on roller-blades or a skate-board. I forgot. Anyway, it's good you gypsy fuck, so like...read it. OR else.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

I recomend Armor by John Steakley its a very good read. If you don't get involved with the characters in this book your dead. Whats extra cool is that power armor is a critical component of the story. Much better than Starship Troopers and on an equal level with Hyperion.
Reviews
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

Snow Crash is worh a read indeed. Quite fun.

If you'd like to try something a bit different (I'd only reccommend the ones translated by Brinbaum) I'd suggest you might want to give Haruki Murakami's books a shot. Hard Boiled Wonderland & the End of the World & Wild Sheep Chase were excellent & either would be a fine place to start.
"I think you could beat IPLAY up for lunch money and still come up short." -Interrupt
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

Ernesto wrote:Is it just me or is Neuromancer a fucking hard book to follow?
Someone here is a moron!

Anyways, i'm reading Dune right now.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

I'm pretty sure he means that after a book as good as Neuromancer, it's hard to follow up with a suitable sequel.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I'm pretty sure he can't comprehend books properly.
:chew:
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

I'm becoming the subject of a stickied thread? Wow, I must be important.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

xbow wrote:I recomend Armor by John Steakley its a very good read. If you don't get involved with the characters in this book your dead. Whats extra cool is that power armor is a critical component of the story. Much better than Starship Troopers and on an equal level with Hyperion.
Reviews
Yeah, Armor is pretty fucking good.
I think that the guy is writing a sequel to it atm, Armor 2, there's a chapter of it on some fan-site out there, on the interberrywebnet. :drunk:
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

xbow wrote:I recomend Armor by John Steakley its a very good read. If you don't get involved with the characters in this book your dead. Whats extra cool is that power armor is a critical component of the story. Much better than Starship Troopers and on an equal level with Hyperion.
Reviews
The well conversation fucks with your head. I still remember it.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

I just interrupted my Dune re-reading marathon for Brave New World, because my girlfriend had a copy and it's something I've always wanted to read. I always thought it was supposed to be pretty 1984, but it was on the whole much cheerier. I liked it, and it was really surprisingly ahead of it's time.

As I have mentioned before, probably in this same thread, I read all those idiotic Dune prequels and now I'm going back to re-read all the original Frank Herbert books. On Children of Dune right now, I'm actually amazed at just how little I remember from the last time I read them. Damned good stuff, anyway.

Anyone ever read any other Frank Herbert books? Obviously they aren't going to be Dune quality, but snap, he seems to be a decent author?
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

SuperH wrote:I just interrupted my Dune re-reading marathon for Brave New World, because my girlfriend had a copy and it's something I've always wanted to read. I always thought it was supposed to be pretty 1984, but it was on the whole much cheerier. I liked it, and it was really surprisingly ahead of it's time.

As I have mentioned before, probably in this same thread, I read all those idiotic Dune prequels and now I'm going back to re-read all the original Frank Herbert books. On Children of Dune right now, I'm actually amazed at just how little I remember from the last time I read them. Damned good stuff, anyway.

Anyone ever read any other Frank Herbert books? Obviously they aren't going to be Dune quality, but snap, he seems to be a decent author?
I'd hope they were better than dune quality. Dune isn't good enough for my dog to shit on.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

Dune: the book for all your fantasy needs FOR ME TO POOP ON!
does this work
Our Host!