The Books thread.

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Theres also Ender's Shadow.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

Ender's Shadow was the best in my eyes, I have no idea why, but I really liked that book.
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

I still say Ender's Game is horribly overrated.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

THe original? Yes, only one in the series I liked was Ender's shadow.
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Franz_Schubert wrote:I still say Ender's Game is horribly overrated.
That doesn't mean it isn't a good book though.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Franz Schubert wrote:I still say Ender's Game is horribly overrated.
Overrated, I couldn't tell you because I don't ask everyone, but that doesn't mean I didn't love reading it. The REAL question is did YOU like it. Apperantly not, judging by your statement. But still. I'm on to Xenocide. I have to read a bunch of Vonnegut for a class, but I got to page four of Sound and the Fury and I wanted to rip it to shreds and burn it on an altar dedicated to some god of hate and anger and books that suck and should never be read. I'm sick of books about slavery, womens rights, and other bullshit, overwritten topics. Maybe that's why modern scholars suck. They read shit and pass off modern fiction/sciencefiction as "trash" because they don't take the thirty seconds to read it and understand that, even if they weren't written about how it feels to be black and enslaved, or female and enslaved, it still remains that they are good, solid, well thought out, well written books (Dune, Enders', etc.).

P.S. Has anyone read Hyperion? Someone mentioned that to me a few years back, but I have yet to pick it up...
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

yo has anyone read dhargren because you might want to
:chew:
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

jetbaby wrote:P.S. Has anyone read Hyperion? Someone mentioned that to me a few years back, but I have yet to pick it up...
Dune is a terrible fucking book. Never speak of it again.

I've got all 4 Hyperion books. Even though you can see the ending coming in the last book, they are good books overall. I have yet to find a set of books as odd, yet as good as they are.
I would recommend people read them if they like sci-fi.

P.S. - Hey Franz, whats it like dealing with amazon for books and such?
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

The in-print book purchasing system CAN"T be beaten. You can find any book in print, they slap a 20% or so discount on it so + shipping and handeling it ends up being less than or equal to what you would pay in a book store, then you wait like 2 days and they ship it to your house... And if you buy $25 or more worth of merchandise, they pay for the S+H. The convenience is great, cause you can order basically anything (look at the section tabs on the top of the main page, you can get all sorts of things, not just books/music/dvds).

But the OOP (out of print) books is the best. Just search for the OOP book you want, then click on it. It will provide a link to the "Amazon Marketplace", a list of "Amazon Merchants", which is where the sellers post their copies of the books, usually for cheaper since there tends to be some wear and tear (but it's used and OOP, so that's standard). All of the Marketplace purchases are insured (up to like $2,500 or something), so don't worry about sending money and then getting shafted.

It's how I got Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon by Stover, which have been OOP for a couple years. Incredible fucking books by the way... Fantasy doesn't GET any better than that... if you've outgrown the Dragonlance/ForgottenRealms-fantasy, that is.
jerman999
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by jerman999 »

The Hitchhiker's series by Douglas Adams is amazing. I also quite enjoy the works of Umberto Eco (Baudolino, The Name of the Rose, The Island of the Day Before, Foucault's Pendulum, etc.).
Jack_Deth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jack_Deth »

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner) - Phil K. Dick
1945 - Newt Gingrich/Someother guy who wrote more of it than Newt - Alternate History of WW2
World at War Series - Harry Turtledove - Alternate History of WW2 with Aliens invading
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Franz Schubert wrote:The in-print book purchasing system CAN"T be beaten. You can find any book in print, they slap a 20% or so discount on it so + shipping and handeling it ends up being less than or equal to what you would pay in a book store, then you wait like 2 days and they ship it to your house... And if you buy $25 or more worth of merchandise, they pay for the S+H. The convenience is great, cause you can order basically anything (look at the section tabs on the top of the main page, you can get all sorts of things, not just books/music/dvds).

But the OOP (out of print) books is the best. Just search for the OOP book you want, then click on it. It will provide a link to the "Amazon Marketplace", a list of "Amazon Merchants", which is where the sellers post their copies of the books, usually for cheaper since there tends to be some wear and tear (but it's used and OOP, so that's standard). All of the Marketplace purchases are insured (up to like $2,500 or something), so don't worry about sending money and then getting shafted.

It's how I got Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon by Stover, which have been OOP for a couple years. Incredible fucking books by the way... Fantasy doesn't GET any better than that... if you've outgrown the Dragonlance/ForgottenRealms-fantasy, that is.
Thats good to know. I think i'll try it when I get back to school. I was more worried about the independants who sell the oldies that I need. But you answered that so, I think i'm going to enjoy this.

As for books, I just read The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams. Now thats a damn good book.
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

World at War and Colonisation by Harry Turtledove were great; I heard he also wrote an alternate history of the american civil war but I can't remember what it is called.

On Sci-Fi space operas I was particularly impressed by "The Nights Dawn Trilogy" by Peter Hamilton.

I am currently reading the Dune prequels and may proceed all through the Dune series for the fourth (or is that fifth) time. Though the prequels are good so far, they can't compare to the originals written by Frank.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

Jack_Deth wrote:Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade
World at War Series - Harry Turtledove - Alternate History of WW2 with Aliens invading
Ah yes, Turtledove, there is an other who turns out impressive volumes Also check out his The Great Wart series, basicly, North lost the civil war, and it all goes to hell from there. Covers the first world war, and is moving onto the second now. It's rather inventive, and engrossing. Especially reading about the Canadian resistance, and A general Custer who was allowed to grow older (if not wiser)
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

Damnation Alley, Roger Zelazny.

When you think about this book, don't remind yourself of the movie, 'twas an abomination of the plotline.
does this work
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Sol Invictus »

Movies often are. Timeline anyone? Ugh, what a fucking horrible movie, riddled with plotholes that didn't exist in the book.
Administrator

Circle of Eight - Hellgate: London Resource Center
www.co8.org
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Philip K. Dick. Anything.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

fallout ranger wrote:Damnation Alley, Roger Zelazny.

When you think about this book, don't remind yourself of the movie, 'twas an abomination of the plotline.
I've got a near first edition paperback of Damnation Alley. Its a classic in any genre if you ask me.
The Long Tommorow by Leigh Brackett was damn good post-apoc reading too.

I just finished Planet of the Damned by Harry Harrison. Its not bad.

On a side note, I just got a 1953 copy of Exploration Fawcett and a 1945 edition of The Sacred Symbols of Mu.
Classics if you love the mysteries of history.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Moved to the appropriate forum... and on the topic of books, the latest Terry Pratchett one (Going Postal) is pretty good so far.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

cool beans. Is it like thr truth/soul music or is it more of an original type story? I'm guessing the former :chew:
:chew:
Our Host!