The Books thread.

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Ewww, Salvatore
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

WTF are you talking about?
does this work
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

fallout ranger wrote:WTF are you talking about?
Hmmm, well let's see.
R.A. Salvatore Fan wrote:I'm reading Forgotten Realms stuff, mostly Salvatore. Well, actually only Salvatore.
Salvatore-Playah-Hatah wrote:Ewww, Salvatore.
Ta da. Having never read a Forgotten Realms novel from any author, I can't comment on Salvatore and Teh Adventurez Of Drizzt. He seems to be uber-popular and hated at the same time. Maybe I'll grab his stuff.

I'm really addicted to Chuck Palahniuk's work so far. I've read Choke, Diary and I'm finishing Lullaby as we speak. Fight Club and Survivor are coming in the mail, so I'll be reading them after right after Lullaby.

I really want to read Maxx Barry's Syrup. I've heard nothing but cool about that book.

And it's bitching how we talk about books every week. That's uncommon on most of my other forums.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Don't even try Salvatore, his writing is childish and the story is generally boring, plus Drows are gays, and nothing makes any sense.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

He wrote the story to Demon Stone which was...............really predictable. It was decently written, but considering Salvatore is supposed to be some sort of great author, it was barely mediocre.
Harriers for the cup.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Wolfman Walt wrote:He wrote the story to Demon Stone which was...............really predictable. It was decently written, but considering Salvatore is supposed to be some sort of great author, it was barely mediocre.
You can only compare Salvatore to other terrible fantasy writers.

And yes, if you want confirmation on Stover you have it. Heroes Die is on my list of favorite books. I've been meaning to find a copy of Iron Dawn but have yet to come across a copy.

I could probably pull some more good books out of my ass but I think i'll go eat then post some.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Having trouble finding out of print books? All hail Amazon. MFG, here's Iron Dawn, just order from one of the vendors. As a fantasy afficionado, I can truly say that this is one of those rare examples of a GOOD fantasy book. It's not "high" fantasy... there's very limited magic and gods' influence and other fantasy staples, but I actually prefer this, because it gives the magic more "impact" and importance. It's sort of an alternate history set in Greece right after the Trojan War, except the premise is that all the greek/norse/egyptian/barbarian mythology is considered TRUE, and plays a big part in the story. The plot is fairly standard, but as with Heroes Die, the book is gripping because the action scenes are intensely vivid, and the characters are amazingly realistic.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Ebay owns all, Franz. Even Amazon.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Martha Wells - City of Bones
Will Self - Great Apes
Scott Baker - Nightchild

Also just finished rereading Steven King's The Stand, Rose Madder, Desperation, and Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicals and Mayfair Witches trilogy. 3 weeks....I read a lot...Average 1 book per day when I feel like it.
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Sol Invictus »

Reading that many books in such a short period of time can only bring me intense drousyness. I prefer to read them one at a time, fluidly, but not too fast. I need time to absorb the content.
Administrator

Circle of Eight - Hellgate: London Resource Center
www.co8.org
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Don't even try Salvatore, his writing is childish and the story is generally boring, plus Drows are gays, and nothing makes any sense.

Wow. I'm not alone. I've skimmed a few pages of one of teh drizzzzzzzzt books and I was amazed.... but not at the overwhelming quality and magnificence of the work, but by the fact that, as Susan says, "his writing is childishand the story is generally boring, plus Drows are gays, and nothing makes any sense."

Drow exist for the sole purpose of drawing people like me to elves. People that think elves are a bunch of nancy boy sissy shits who deserve to have their spines snapped in two by a REAL fantasy race like Dwarves. Tree hopping freaks. But the DROW, OMG. HARDXXXXXCORE because they are BLACK and EVIL. Wow. Nice scheme there, whoever thought them up. Elf lovers are on par with furries in my book.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

you all suck.
and your books.
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Sol Invictus »

You suck, and your avatar too, asshat.
Administrator

Circle of Eight - Hellgate: London Resource Center
www.co8.org
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Anyone else find it humorous that when you make a good book thread, it gets filled with terrible fantasy novels.

Raymond E. Feist is the only fantasy I read anymore. I guess I occasionally read some Tad Williams too. I read books like Robert Jordan's verbal diarrhea in grade 9 when I thought he was good.

I wish more people read the old hard sci-fi and space opera novels. They are some of the best books ever written. Stuff like Heinlein and Poul Anderson are deep and thought provoking.
Shit, some of Heinlein's stuff was borderline jail-time when he wrote it.

Even the co-operations between authors like Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle make for great reads even though they are newer. A Mote in God's Eye is one of the best alien meets human space novels I have read in a long time.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Don't even try Salvatore, his writing is childish and the story is generally boring, plus Drows are gays, and nothing makes any sense.
All elves are gays. And suck.
Serious Business.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

The elves in Dragonlance weren't too bad. Of course the vast majority of them were pansy ass gays who just bitched and moaned about everything, occasionally there was an elf who could kick some ass (Tanis).

Post by Guest »

Ernesto wrote:Ebay owns all, Franz. Even Amazon.
Except SO not. I don't know about books, but when it comes to music, Amazon has shit I've never even heard of, while eBay has some damned slim pickings. And they're almost always used. Oddly, though, I've found some really rare 12" records and import Garbage singles on eBay. I guess it depends what you're looking for.

Topic? Memoirs of a Geisha is fantastic, and I just read A Home At The End Of The World by Michael Cunningham. A bit pretentious at times, but very good overall.

Let's keep the non-fantasy books coming, people!
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Heinlein's Stranger... and Starship Troopers are two of my favorites.

I just finished reading Speaker for the Dead and I have to say that it is easily in my top favorite books along with it's sister, Ender's Game. Now I'm off to reread Dune.

POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

If you liked Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead, then there some more books left in its series that you can read.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Xenocide and Hegemon that I know of.

Our Host!