Tilesets article (which could use some more details)

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Tilesets article (which could use some more details)

Post by Red »

Slightly corrected Email to Odin (thanks to Odin for finding it :)), slightly edited with more recent information:
Red! wrote:Tip3a: You can make tilesets which contain the same tile more then once. The only restriction (within the FO:T editor) is that you need to select an alternate tile to add it to the list. This is great to create "random" floors for deserts. You choose the normal desert tiles say 80% of the time, and the "feature tiles" (with small rocks and such) fill up the rest of the tiles. This really looks much better then doing it manually and/or not doing it at all (the last of which can make a map really ugly).

Tip3b: Instead of making the tilesets within the editor (which doesn't even save them correctly), first make a tileset with all the tiles you'll plan to use, then save it. Open it in your favorite text editor (I recommend UltraEdit) fix the quoting problem (you need to add them), and copy-paste the appropriate tiles the number of times you want it represented in the tileset (say you want 80% sand, have 20 tiles "with features", and 8 tiles "with normal sand", then copy paste the sand tile list 10 times to get the ratio... you get the idea, I hope :). Load the tileset, and use it.
Furthermore I discovered a few directories which need to exist, or otherwise the game will always put you back into the root (although you might like that feature...) To make the editor always find the proper directories, you'll need to make sure these directories exist:
  • <tt>core\editor\clips</tt>
    to save the clipboard stuff (this is great to save the Vault door once you've managed to patch it up)
  • <tt>core\editor\tilesets</tt>
    to save tilesets
  • <tt>core\editor\triggers</tt>
    to save triggers
Remember that these are not crucial to save stuff, it's just needed so you don't end up selecting the drive all the time and finding the FO:T directory.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I still don't know what to do with tilesets. I think I need a step-by-step guide explaining things. Like when you say, "fix the quoting problem" I have no idea what you mean.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Red

Post by Red »

Max-Violence wrote:Like when you say, "fix the quoting problem" I have no idea what you mean.
I covered that in the other thread. I'll make a "HOW-TO" guide... It'll be a lot better :)
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Yea, I could really use a How-to guide on making and using tilesets... mostly on making 'em. I'm slow :painting:
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

I never really used them, aside from placing large sections of floor tiles. And most of the time I just manually selected a bunch of them on the fly, and layed them without caring too much about saving tilesets.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Our Host!