Sub Command and 688I

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Sub Command and 688I

Post by xbow »

You just can't beat Janes combat simulations for realism. The follow on to the great 688I hunter killer combat simulation is Sub Command, its a bit easier to master than 688I and a bit more automated but still a good sim.

You will love it or hate it depending on your ability to focus. Talk about a high imersion level! It also has a pretty good mission editor.

This is only for people that can enjoy reading through a 200 page instruction document to learn how to operate the realistic sonar, and fire control equipment. You will do things like match the prop noise of an undefined contact with known noise signatures to determine if the target is a threat. You will input fire control solutions and guide mk48 torpedos to a target that is launching countermeasures and attempting to escape from your attack. ahh bliss. You can also command a titanuim hulled 50 mph Soviet Alpha instead of a Sewolf if you want. Sadly Sub Command is not available at this time unless you hunt for it..its still around.

Review
Last edited by xbow on Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Sounds like it would give me a siezure. I hate math, so figuring out the fire solutions would murderate me.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

Retlaw83 wrote:Sounds like it would give me a siezure. I hate math, so figuring out the fire solutions would murderate me.
Bullshit!!!! any guy that can mod like you would be a natural at Jane's combat simulations bro! Besides that the math is automated, the TDC does that.

You simply evaluate the target tracks, prop signature, select the weapon and its high low bounds, arm safe distance, if you want it to run in active 'ping mode' or passive sonar mode, fire, and then manuver the boat to a nice layer of warm water to hide beneath after firing. It sucks when after all that stealth you have to dodge a high speed incoming Russian torpedo in a frantic effort to avoid destruction.
Last edited by xbow on Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

xbow wrote:
Retlaw83 wrote: Bullshit!!!! any guy that can mod like you would be a natural at Jane's combat simulations bro! Besides that the math is automated, the TDC does that.
I owned Fighters Anthology back in the day.

And modding for more than half an hour gives me a headache, especially with how I'm getting all the different ammos to work likes in classic Fallout...

I might check this out at some point. I thought I saw it for $10 at Wal-Mart, so next time I'm out that way I'll look into it.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!