The Movies, Music, and Games thread

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

There's too much good music, movies and books of different style, atomosphere and feeling. I change everyday D:

Post by Guest »

Y'all have way too much time on your hands, seriously.
Franz wrote:I could give a shit about what music he likes... but Kill Bill?? It was all style and no substance, but bad style. What was meant as an homage turned out to be just a bad imitation at best, insulting mockery at worst.
Yes, but that's your opinion. I think Kill Bill is, on the surface, a "wink-wink" homage, but beneath the clever-film-geek-auteur facade is an emotionally involving, exciting, action-packed movie. Why do you think I liked it so much? I hate movies that simply rely on self-conscious irony, quirkiness, and nostalgic references in order to make it through two hours. Kill Bill relies on plot, emotional buildup, vivid characters, and smart dialogue as much as any other movie out there. That stuff gives the movie resonance, which goes far beyond what any simple "homage" could do.

People give Tarantino far too little credit as a filmmaker; he understands that movies are about story, first and foremost, and that they should be gripping, involving stories. Kill Bill is that, and then some. Pulp Fiction, on the other hand, is all style and no substance. Give me one good reason for that movie to exist. I can see why it caused such a splash when it first came out, and I see why it's been so influential ever since. But it's virtually plotless, too clever for its own good, and it just goes on, and on, and on, with no direction or purpose. I'm suprised Tarantino is behind both movies, since they're so radically different.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Arh, Pulp Fiction is better than Kill Bill for exactly the same reasons you just gave us for Kill Bill to be good.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Hear, hear.

Post by Guest »

Either way, it's an opinion. Don't get all pissy and childish just because I disagree with you. People have dissed both Garbage and Kill Bill in this thread, but you don't see me personally attacking anyone because of it. Take a pill.

By the by, how "temporary" is this avatar, Teatime?
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

There you go. It's a shame to lose that awesome Avril Lavigne picture I found, though :(
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

BEst bands for me-Audioslave,Garbage, Billy Idol, Ramones, Tears for Fears , Greenday (don't care if they have gone pop) Peter Frampton
Best ALbums-Nimrod, Beautiful Garbage, Audioslave, Anythign by my lord god Peter Frampton
Best Movies- SHawshank Redemption, Evil dead trilogy, Star Wars Trilogy, Anything by Kevins smit, From Mallrats to J&SBSB.XXX. Johnny Mnumonic( What can I say, I thought it was hilarious.
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

I can't see everyones fascination with Queen. They are far from my favorite.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:

Post by Guest »

Me, neither. They're just so over-the-top I can't take them seriously. And Freddie's singing on "Somebody To Love" makes me want to smash things.
Doc Hill wrote:Best ALbums-Nimrod, Beautiful Garbage, Audioslave, Anythign by my lord god Peter Frampton
Ew, beautifulgarbage blew. (Except for "Cherry Lips" and "Breaking Up The Girl", of course.)
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yeah, V2.0 was the best I thought. Although the first one was good as well.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Band: Genesis (Peter Gabriel / Steve Hackett era)
Track: Thick As A Brick / Jethro Tull (all 45 delicious minutes of it)
Movie: Currently it's Dr. Strangelove.
Game: Fallout.
Frequency: 60 Hz.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

My frequency's 70 Hz. On a 19" TFT with a 16 ms response time, YEAH BABEH.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

We're not talking just about monitor frequencies, you know. 60 Hz is good in almost any situation.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

72 Hz D:
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

60Hz is horrible to look at, 75 is the absolute minimum I'll look at.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I usually ryde or dye at 85 Hz, though my monitor isn't so happy about doing that at 1600x1200.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Subhuman wrote:Kill Bill relies on plot, emotional buildup, vivid characters, and smart dialogue as much as any other movie out there.
I think the main thing that ruined Kill Bill for me was the dialogue... it was odd and cumbersome, and unrealistic.

The dialogue in Pulp Fiction really had a natural feeling to it.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

I don't know how one can say Kill Bill relied on plot when it's paper thin.

Post by Guest »

And Pulp Fiction isn't?
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Pulp Fiction didn't rely on plot... nobody is saying that. Pulp Fiction's depth comes from the character interaction and the general sense of "realistic-ness" that each of the stories has.
Our Host!