View modes.

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

View modes.

Post by T-900 »

Fallout 3 in a fixed isometric view wouldn't work for a big time retail project... it simply, sadly, wouldn't appeal to the masses... The only way to get a game that is truly what the community wants would be for the community to make it, and the game would suffer horribly for it.

The compromise between Bethesda's RPG style of first/third person and Fallouts isometric would have to be a moveable camera... Think Neverwinter Nights. I see no problem with this whatsoever... it would allow us to zoom in on our character and view close-up scenes of dialogue, allow us to spin around buildings to find doors without having to rely upon guesswork and translucent rooves, and allow us to zoom out sufficiently to see the terrain and larger battles.

What would be the cons of such a system? I don't really see them.

Also consider that with the hex-based system of the original Fallout engine did to the locations... With tiles, walls, and objects in uniform rows of hexagons... Think what a real 3d engine could do for the cities, making them less uniformly arranged and more suitably chaotic... A 3d engine could do amazing things for Fallout, just as easily as it could ruin it.. consider the upsides of all the changes we're dreading.

- T-900
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

hexes are a bitch to use, especially in the editor. Moveable cameras suck, unless the default view was iso.
does this work
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

*reads your signature, and ignores your post*

Reminder to all... I'm asking for what you percieve as the cons of a moveable NWN-like camera, not blunt statements that 'moveabule cammeres are teh n00ble'. Thanks :bored:
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

okay okay

Con:

It may have crappy pixelated graphics like a 1st person

Pro:

fluidness of s 1st person shooter
does this work
brillo
Regular
Regular

Re: View modes.

Post by brillo »

I really liked the camera system in Silent Stom, and would love to see something like that. It was 3/4 overhead by default. Could rotate the camera fully around the character, up and down a bit, and zoom in/out a bit. I think that would work great, preserve the feel of the original, and be just fine in a major project like FO3.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

I must admit, I like the idea... I mean, hexxes would never work out nowadays, at least not ones we can wtahc, however, keeping them for the program to determine shooting-distances, modifiers, etc would be nice...

As for the rotatable camera, I'm all in for it, as long as one of the viewing-options is our long-favored 3/4 isometric view, I really can't care less if it just means the y'll make the game for us :D

As long as it isn't FP, beacuase a FPS-version of fallout would rule out the usefulness of SPECIAL, all the combat-skills, etc...
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

It's amazing to see people who go on about how '1337 particule effectz0rs' take precedense over gameplay in modern games... when they start saying 'moveable camera equalz nasty pixels of first personness'...

Anyway, yessss... moveable camera is good.. it would only improve the gameplay to be able to rotate our view around, zoom in, etc. Apart from the freedom it grants, it would allow purists to play in the classical isometric view while allowing the rest to put the camera wherever they want whenever they please.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

brillo wrote:I really liked the camera system in Silent Stom, and would love to see something like that. It was 3/4 overhead by default. Could rotate the camera fully around the character, up and down a bit, and zoom in/out a bit. I think that would work great, preserve the feel of the original, and be just fine in a major project like FO3.
Yep, what he said. Wich, by the way, was the way both the Troika PA game engine and the Jefferson engine adaptation for Fallout3/Van Buren worked. Cool beans.
brillo
Regular
Regular

Post by brillo »

Briosafreak wrote: Yep, what he said. Wich, by the way, was the way both the Troika PA game engine and the Jefferson engine adaptation for Fallout3/Van Buren worked. Cool beans.
And also the same system most of the turn-based strategy games on consoles have used. So it seems to work pretty good all around. Very flexible, and useful for any kind of turnbased strategy stuff.
Our Host!