Fallout/Fallout 2 in Windows XP

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
echotheory
SDF!
SDF!

Fallout/Fallout 2 in Windows XP

Post by echotheory »

yeah, I know, another one of these but my problem seems to be a little more complex.

First things first though, relevant machine specs:
Asus MB
p4 3.0
1 gig ddr ram
win xp home

Fallout 1 installed and ran without a single problem/glitch/malfunction on my machine, which apparently around here is pretty unheard of.

Fallout 2 however has been a nightmare. Once it reaches the "Please Wait" screen, I'm immediately kicked back to the desktop. I've tried playing with the compatibility suggestions made here, I've tried editing the fallout2.cfg file and all my paths are active. I've tried doing a manual install like some have said.. ie: copying files from the cd to my harddrive and just opening the patch to get the rest of the files. This seems all good or whatever but my the critter file , about half way through copying, errors out saying " Cannot copy CRITTER: Invalid MS-Dos Function" wtf? Sometimes it also says, "Cannot copy: Cyclic Redundancy Error" or something to that effect. Even with the "Humongous" install option it never seems like the Critter file is getting into the Fallout2 folder in whole. Do i have a bad cd? What else could be causing my problem? Help?

Thanks so much and sorry again for adding another one of these threads here.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I dunno but if you got your CD from suprnova.org or some other torrents place, chances are you got the same ISO as I have, and well, it's corrupted. Poop told me some people were talking about it on the suprnova forums, but I can't access them for some strange reason.

glitch

Post by Guest »

Fallout 1&2 both run perfect on my machine(I also use XP). When I add a city to fallout 2 if I forget to put the city.txt or maps.txt into the BlackIsle/Fallout2/DATA/data directory I get the same basic result.

Maybe you're doing this too(if you mod).
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

<a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewto ... ws+xp">See if any of this will help</a>
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
echotheory
SDF!
SDF!

Post by echotheory »

welp, i have the game running now, cd was just dirty as hell but now im having other problems... haha guess ill search around here and see if anyone else has had em before i post again.
zetabobster
SDF!
SDF!

Post by zetabobster »

Well what I do is on my Win XP machine i go into explore on the disk, then i click it, hit proertities go to compatibility then hit windows 98, i use the humongous install and it works great
May my wang be long and prosper

I've never seen the Main Menu :(

Post by Guest »

Hello all.

I recently bought the Fallout/Fallout 2 double jewel case package. Autoplay works fine with the games, and installation completes without a hitch. However, the autoplay's "play" button is still greyed out, and when i try to launch the game, the screen goes black and my NEC monitor makes a *click* noise that I associate with changing resolutions. It then clicks again, and the black fades back to desktop. Occasionally, I get to the grey screen that says "Please stand by."

I have tried innumerable combinations of the compatability options, I have set my desktop settings to low (800 x 600, Medium 16bit), I tried disabling my graphics card and startup processes and such. Once my graphics card was disabled, i could get the initial movie to play, but at the end, the screen's colors inverted like a photo negative and the program froze.

If anyone knows what else i could try (or has devised a fix) I would be very interested in hearing from you. Thanks all.

JoCom

My system includes:
P4 3GHz
Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
Windows XP Professional
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Have you tried a humungous installation? Also, sometimes not all the files are installed (no idea why), so you may want to look around your Fo/Fo2 directory and look for the folders with missing bits and copy/paste them over from the cd directly.
Carib
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Carib »

I got the Dual Case last year and the game, thank goodness is already patched... It ran pretty smooth on my Dad's dell.

But that is true, some versions of the CD are corrupted. Can't imagine why.
Dove
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dove »

S4ur0n27 wrote:I dunno but if you got your CD from suprnova.org or some other torrents place, chances are you got the same ISO as I have, and well, it's corrupted. Poop told me some people were talking about it on the suprnova forums, but I can't access them for some strange reason.
*snicker*

I wonder how that happened?

Hehe.
Xeixen
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Xeixen »

Well when I try to install Fallout 1, I just get a blue screen.

But Fallout 2 works almost perfectly for me. It seems, however, that the character animations move a half a second slower. Not a big deal.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I believe there's an option to speed up animations.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

I'm thinking that switching to Win 98 will solve most problems. Maybe getting another hard drive, and having a dual-boot system is in order, eh?
RAK
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by RAK »

XP is a piece of shit when it comes to running old games. It doesn't even have proper DOS compatibility.

I reckon that most of the problems that I've heard of result from people running XP. And, yes, I do have reasons for disliking XP. Don't think that I haven't tried it.
"When conversing about oligarchy, you must consider this point: Many children are taught from an early age that monarchies are primarily benevolent, and are given very little to discourage this opinion until at least adolesence. Even more prevalent are stories about the supposed benevolence of heirs to the throne, symbolising a cycle which they are taught is good."
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Both Fallout and Fallout 2 work perfectly on my computer never had one problem with them.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

MR Snake wrote:Both Fallout and Fallout 2 work perfectly on my computer never had one problem with them.
What is your system?

I've got to scrounge up a battery for my old Aptiva, then I'll be able
to run all my old crap w/o hassle.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

a 6 month old post. Your lucky I actually checked this, anyway.

AMD XP 2400+
1gig ram 333 mhz
Geforce 4 ti4200
msi kt4 ultra-bsr
1 x 200gb 7200 rpm ide hdd and one 120gb 7200 rpm.

Win XP Swe Pro SP2 integrated.
Last edited by MR Snake on Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I think the operating system matters more whether Fallout and Fallout 2 will run properly, not specs. Fallout 2 runs normally in my Pentium 4(WinXP). How's it with Macs?
Geno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Geno »

I had some trouble installing Fallout, but I simply used Compatibility with Windows 95 on the files on the CD. Then everything worked well after(can't remember if I did compatibility with the files on the hard drive). I haven't installed Fallout 2 yet, but I should soon. Hope it works.
Vaultboy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Vaultboy »

Lets hope Windows Vista has DOS compatability and Windows 3.1 also

Bill gates + me = :chaindeath:
:evil_laugh: :chainsaw:
"My groin is the groin of fire!"
"Townsman was hit in the groin for 9 hit points and killed"
Our Host!