Junk

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Junk

Post by atoga »

Since it hasn't been mentioned, don't you think there should be a big emphasis placed on all the junk you find out in the wasteland for mechanic type characters? For resourceful scavengers, you could build just about anything if you can find the right parts, either by picking them out from a trash heap or by buying them from an antiques dealer or something. The possibilities would be limitless for constructing new items or modding ones you already have. There could even be unique items for really skilled mechanics.

Since there's a huge emphasis in Fallout on all the stuff that's lying around in the wastes, and since items are relatively hard to come by, this seems like a good idea to me.

It would be like Arcanum, except only a lot more so. Your thoughts please.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

there was this lil' thing about arcanum and blueprints which bothered me.... I can't really recall what it was though.....

But yeah, tinkering with junk could enrichen the game, provided that the tinkering is not too 1337 or too lousy.

However...
I doubt that FO3 will have much that we'd like.
If only bethesda were open to syggestions, had some sorta suggestions thread....
But alas.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I rather have em jailed for the time they produce FO3. They wouldn't get any of the good suggestions, but none of the sucky ones either.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

well, you do habe a point there...
how about jailed naked to their computers, with some ppl from DAC there to monitor them.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Junk

Post by Briosafreak »

atoga wrote:Since it hasn't been mentioned, don't you think there should be a big emphasis placed on all the junk you find out in the wasteland for mechanic type characters? For resourceful scavengers, you could build just about anything if you can find the right parts, either by picking them out from a trash heap or by buying them from an antiques dealer or something. The possibilities would be limitless for constructing new items or modding ones you already have. There could even be unique items for really skilled mechanics.

Since there's a huge emphasis in Fallout on all the stuff that's lying around in the wastes, and since items are relatively hard to come by, this seems like a good idea to me.

It would be like Arcanum, except only a lot more so. Your thoughts please.
You would love Van Buren then, that`s what the science characters would be all about.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Yeah, I'm well aware of that. Ain't gonna happen, though.
Mismatch wrote:I doubt that FO3 will have much that we'd like.
Well, yeah. This is just masturbatory - but we might as well.

Finding blueprints was kind of a bitch; it would be better if a character could tinker and make items on their own from scratch. Perhaps there wouldn't be any guidelines and the player would have to experiment on their own, adding Item A to Item B with a pinch of Item C over a low heat and then placing in Item D to bake for 25 minutes. Optionally, the character could buy guidelines or get someone to teach them.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I'm afraid it would become like D2's Horadric Cube of Shit, and too much exploitable.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

What was wrong with Horadric Cube? It was one of very few good ideas of Diablo 2...
Serious Business.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

If there are some people to tell you 'TEH SEKRET COMBINAZIONN!' you shouldn't be able to combine these items beforehand, then... It would suck to know that on your second time through you knew which items to use and how waaay before you actually should recieve that information.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Wanna keep talking for me Kash? :P
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

The problem with this idea is that since it's a video game, there would be a very limited number of items/combinations, and it would all have to be programmed in to the game. VERY unlike real life, where there are millions of different parts and shit lying around.

Cool concept, but no way to implement it without sucking.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yup, like when you type a word to a NPC and he tells you stuff about it. Never works.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

I just figure 'Junk' would be very often used. It's little bit of everything, after all.

About the Cube - you have a point there.
Serious Business.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Franz_Schubert wrote:VERY unlike real life, where there are millions of different parts and shit lying around.
I don't get your point... it's a game, it doesn't have to be like real-life.
it worked fairly well in JA2?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Actually, "junk combination" was one of my favorite things in JA 2 as well as the section in FO 2 where you combined the Dynamite with the pole and cart at the military base. Ugh theres not much to say other then I support it. Who cares if the item combination can be limited. Theres ONLY so much you can make that could help you out and obviousily you're not going to be using a toaster to make a plasma converter. Besides, atleast it'll give me the chance to say "How are you gonna Macguyver yourself out of this situation."

Perhaps things like zip guns and explosives can be made? Those are fairly easy to make and such and early on that could be handy.
Harriers for the cup.

nice idea

Post by Guest »

I think it would be cool to have the ability to collect useless junk and make something worthwhile from it.

For instance if you find a piece of pipe, some electrical wires and a battery you have a pipe rifle minus the ammo (shotgun pellets, pebbles, or you can cast your own lead balls) & some propellant (gunpowder,lighter fluid,gasoline, etc.). A gun like that could hold you over long enough until you can get a decent gun.

You could even make a crossbow from a piece of steel, an old rifle stock and a piece of steel of cable.
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

A neat idea that probably wont happen is junk items are just things like springs and stuff, but you could go into a menu that works like that old The Incredible Machine game, then you just arrange pieces and put a casing to them (if needed) and see if they work, if they do, thats what you use.

Edit: Another neat idea is using junk when repairing weapons, instead of trying to find a new particular part, make a make-shift one out of some junk pieces (might make it work better too).
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

Gimp Mask wrote:
Franz_Schubert wrote:VERY unlike real life, where there are millions of different parts and shit lying around.
I don't get your point... it's a game, it doesn't have to be like real-life.
it worked fairly well in JA2?
I`m with Gimp Mask here :hug:
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Koki wrote:I just figure 'Junk' would be very often used. It's little bit of everything, after all.
You could subdivide junk into all kinds of wonderful things.

To make NPC teaching / schematics useful, you could be given new options for methods in combining items. For instance, any idiot could combine item A with B to make a half-decent item C, but you need to be in the know to combine item A with B while doing process D to create item E, the new-and-improved version of item C with some wacky new features.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Hey, that idea's got some balls.
Our Host!