The sum of all (Fallout3 related) fears

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

The sum of all (Fallout3 related) fears

Post by Mismatch »

Since I myself fear so much for the future of fallout (I am happy though that FO3 IS being developed, don't get me wrong) I am curious about your fears for fallout3.
Maybe the fallout3 forum should be concentraded of constructive suggestions and so forth, but in my opinion, what NOT to do is equally important as what to do.
Some of my not tos:

§ Real time combat
§ Action oriented
§ Reducing the complexity of the game world, so that everone will understand its wonders.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

How about something as simple as the new age obsession with devoting 49% of time and resources (both monetary and system) to graphical design and rendering and the other 1% to marketing? (of course the other 50% goes to the Illuminati, but we don't talk about them.) I'd like a game where I know that 90% of my hard-earned cash wasn't spent on some pissing contest over who can make teh h0tt3zt female models or the best partifle effects and cloudcover.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

my fears

Post by xbow »

1)That FO3 is Morrowind with guns

2)That FO3 is a dipshit console game that runs on a PC

3)That the 3D player models look like angular faceted crud

4)The perspective is not isometric.

5)The creators miss the whole point of the game

6)That the game doesn't have the option of CTB mode

I will stop there
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

- 'hot' chick on boxart(Yes, I Will Not Let It Go).
- Squeezing the game into 'Teen' category.
- Not making Adv. Powered Armour (Mk.2) best armour in the game.
- Not using SPECIAL system.
Serious Business.
Hatchen
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Hatchen »

- they might start thinking to much futuristic and forget it sopposed to be a 50's reto future
-might not have the same feel as fallout 1, and a bit of fallout two had (i unno but i think it had to do with the waste land and trying to survive in a great world
- should we fear having the character not a decendant to the vault dweller ?
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

- should we fear having the character not a decendant to the vault dweller ?
Even more than that, I fear that someone at bethesda will get the idea of not letting the player be customizable.
Which is rather common in console RPG:s.... if they so can be called.
But I doubt they can be so foolish...
Cipher
Respected
Respected

Post by Cipher »

My biggest fears are....

1. That they will bastardize the game like Deus Ex 2 and make it a piece of crap console port to the PC. It should be a CRPG that is ported to the console.

2. I'm not too worried about the view but they better keep the feel and rythm of FO1/2, FO2 was good but almost messed up the feel of the game.

3. I hope they keep the SPECIAL system and let you have total control of your character.

4. I hope they don't screw up the non linear game play. KOTOR was LINEAR so I really, really hope they do NOT use KOTOR as a example to follow.

5. As long as they make the fans happy all should be well. If not then aaaaarrrrrrhhhhggggg!!!!

Really I don't have tim eto worry about FO3, I hope it is cool but if not life goes on.

Fallout fans icon_pelvic_thrust.gif(Fallout 3) [Well, that didn't work like planned but you get the idea. Damn proxies]
Hatchen
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Hatchen »

Mismatch said:

I fear that someone at bethesda will get the idea of not letting the player be customizable.
That's very true, that was one of the parts ai liked. Character creation. it would't be as good with a charcter already picked out to use.
NOT A PEDOPHILE
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Re: my fears

Post by NOT A PEDOPHILE »

xbow wrote:1)That FO3 is Morrowind with guns
I seem to remember one of the devs dismissing the "lol fallowind" fears. Personally, I'd be surprised if the developers didn't learn from all the mistakes they made with Morrowind.
4)The perspective is not isometric.
Why is this a problem?
And what might that be?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Re: my fears

Post by Retlaw83 »

NOT A PEDOPHILE wrote:
xbow wrote:4)The perspective is not isometric.
Why is this a problem?
And what might that be?
A non-isometric perspective is not a problem in and off itself. But the game would need to have some kind of overhead view in order to feel like Fallout.

The point of the game, as I have always percieved it, is that despite the fact billions are dead and society is gone, people still matter. Or, conversely, people are nothing more than sheep to be robbed from and killed. The point of the game depends on your style of play, really.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I definitely feel RT combat has no role in Fallout. I recently played Soldiers:HOWW2 over and over. I wanted to like it as a strategic combat game but the RT finally made it too frustrating to enjoy. Turn based combat would have made it a joy to play and would have allowed for more complexity. The game fell flat on its face and I was forced to rely on auto targetting and firing to make it through the game in one piece. I would have preferred total control of the battles but as good as the combat engine was it would have never been possible to have that control.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Speaking of which, I was wondering if anyone can point me to a GOOD WWII Turnbased stradegy game similar to East Front (Well I liked it) or Panzer General since those two don't wanna work on my XP and I'm to lazy to install another OS.

As for complaints. I definetly feel FO needs to be TB, just think of FOT if you need further proof. With TB you can impliment stradegy cause you're controlling all your units and can carefully plan and such where as with RT stradegy you just cannot possibly control all your units at the same time to set up an effect stradegy. Ofcourse in FO you're (Hopefully) going to only be controlling one character, thus the multi tasking is less, but its the same deal, especially if you want to give orders or something (Like I suggested with a radial menu option..bah, I have too many good ideas.)
Harriers for the cup.
NOT A PEDOPHILE
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

fallout ranger wrote:Have you even played Fallout?
Multiple times. Care to explain to me what this has to do with my question?
Retlaw83 wrote:A non-isometric perspective is not a problem in and off itself. But the game would need to have some kind of overhead view in order to feel like Fallout.
Why?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Good job there of answering questions with more questions. Ever think of becoming a politician?
Harriers for the cup.

Post by Guest »

NOT A PEDOPHILE wrote:
fallout ranger wrote:Have you even played Fallout?
Multiple times. Care to explain to me what this has to do with my question?

If you had played fallout you'd know that a non-isometric view wouldn't be suited for it.
NOT A PEDOPHILE wrote:
Retlaw83 wrote:A non-isometric perspective is not a problem in and off itself. But the game would need to have some kind of overhead view in order to feel like Fallout.
Why?
Because all of the other fallouts have had an "overhead view". See where this is going? :eyebrow:
NOT A PEDOPHILE
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

fallout ranger wrote:If you had played fallout you'd know that a non-isometric view wouldn't be suited for it.
Apparently, I'm not as leet as you are or something. Could you please explain why Fallout needs an isometric view?

Because all of the other fallouts have had an "overhead view". See where this is going? :eyebrow:
So would I be correct in assuming that you are saying that to feel like Fallout, the game must be isometric? Would it not also feel like Fallout if didn't have an isometric viewpoint, yet had the exact same atmosphere of the first game?
Wolfman Walt wrote:Good job there of answering questions with more questions. Ever think of becoming a politician?
My original questions had not been answered to my satisfaction. I don't think there's a problem with that.

Post by Guest »

Quote:
Because all of the other fallouts have had an "overhead view". See where this is going?

So would I be correct in assuming that you are saying that to feel like Fallout, the game must be isometric? Would it not also feel like Fallout if didn't have an isometric viewpoint, yet had the exact same atmosphere of the first game?
The viewpoint *is* critical to the atmosphere of the game. If it didn't have an isometric viewpoint, it *wouldn't* have the same atmosphere. Sheesh.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

The only reason Fallout FP would be bad is because RPGs don't work in FP: you can't get a good view of your surroundings, you can't see your own character, and combat is weird.

Aside from that, viewpoint is something that you might want to carefully consider, but it could go either way (3d with zooming camera angles and shit or isometric). So long as the graphics are good enough to make the game look as clean and consistent as the original Fallout, then everything should be fine.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Bethesda should look at the game Gangland for an idea of how to pull off 3D isometric with zoom/pan/etc.

Post by Guest »

ExtremeDrinker wrote:Bethesda should look at the game Gangland for an idea of how to pull off 3D isometric with zoom/pan/etc.
Damn right, that's a good game. :drunk:
Our Host!