Chrome Warriors: Team Eagle Claw

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Use them if they fit in the story unless they look out of place.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Playing pretend it is, then.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
wild_qwerty
Regular
Regular

Post by wild_qwerty »

I'm not sure I follow, did you want to edit the graphics for the existing FOT vehicals to look different? I may be wrong but wasnt spray for FO2?

I know FOT should let you adjust the colours on most of the critters and I think this includes the vehicals
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Spray is the sprite editor for FOT. Some color adjustments can be made to sprite layers but I think Retlaw is more interested in maintaining a certain futuristic style.
wild_qwerty
Regular
Regular

Post by wild_qwerty »

Ok, I stand corrected. Though I might now go have a play with Spray as I already found a way to convert the FOT Spr files into FO2 Frms, so it would be nice to be able to change them before the conversion.

Are there any known programs that can generate a SPR file? I havent done any modding in FOT, just converting some of the graphics to FO2
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Yeah. I even have (textured!) 3D models of the vehicles I can make picture files from, if spray could handle it.

If we can do SPR2GIF, why can't their be a GIF2SPR? Wouldn't it be a similar process, but just requiring you to specify what file goes where and in what order?

It would be so nice to have the simplicity of graphics creation tools for FoT like I used back when I modded Red Alert in middle school.
- the Vault Dweller
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Red is the resident expert and according to him gif is a pain in the ass to work with. TGA is much better which is why he supported it in his viewer. Sprites can get very complex especially with vehicles and characters. This was one of the reasons Domin didn't do too much work trying to get Spray to handle them. His main interest was in creating gun sprites and it works wonderfully for that.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I wasn't necassarily demanding GIF as the format. I have Photoshop; as long as it took a picture file as input I could use it.

But I reckon, seeing as though Tactics is getting nigh on 4 years old, it would not be worth it to make a new sprite editor.

I still can't grasp why Micro Forte won't release the their sprite editor, seeing as though they're probably done using the Pheonix engine.
- the Vault Dweller
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I have recently finished making the third mission and the special encounter, and I noticed something that's not too terribly good. I tagnamed my squadmembers in the entity editor, but they only use the "force speech node" command one the first mission... I think spawning from a player spawn point erases their tagnames. So, no talking PCs past the first mission.

I'm on track to get this thing done before August 15th, because after that preparing to go college and my coursework (4 intensive writing courses, yay!) will more than likely interfere with it. Or, rather, this mod will interfere with my coursework, which would be worse.

This means all but one of the missions will be quick, horrendously violent, and all will focus mainly on the three tenants of real-life squad-level combat - violence of action, force projection & protection, and taking battlefield initiative.
- the Vault Dweller
wild_qwerty
Regular
Regular

Post by wild_qwerty »

I have contacted Microforte asking if they would be so kind as to realease the sprite editor. Im waiting to here back from them. Didnt think it would hurt to try :)
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

lol. Thanks qwerty.

I would have done it, if not for the fact the previous attempts by everyone else, including Section 8, have failed.
- the Vault Dweller
wild_qwerty
Regular
Regular

Post by wild_qwerty »

hehe, nothing to lose by trying I suspose ;) If I dont get a response I'll just sign them up to some spam sites :)
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

lol.

That's a great idea. But here's how I see it, though - you're in the same region of the world as Micro Forte, much closer than I am. Next time you go on vacation, take it near their corporate headquarters. Then, in the dead of night, just break in and steal the damn thing. :)

I just noticed your av... do you know of anyway to get Crusader to work on modern computers?
- the Vault Dweller
wild_qwerty
Regular
Regular

Post by wild_qwerty »

Sorry you tripple posted so I delted one of them and someone else beat me to the second one, so you're back to 98 posts :) you must have hit the botton three times or something.

Crusader wont run in Windows and requires True DOS to work, which is why it wont run in any version of Windows.

But... Thats why you use a DOS emulator such as DOS box, which actauly supports crusader, though the emulation is a later heavy on the processor so you need a really good PC to play Crusader, my Celeron just doesnt cut the mustard.

Also since NZ just beat Australia at the rugby they probably dont want to help any NZers
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I deleted the other one. I only though I double posted. :( I only hit the damn button ONCE!

I've tried emulators, but not DOS box. It seems like Crusader doesn't like my DVD drive.
- the Vault Dweller
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

wild_qwerty wrote:I have contacted Microforte asking if they would be so kind as to realease the sprite editor. Im waiting to here back from them. Didnt think it would hurt to try :)
I've tried several times to get in touch with de Margheriti about releasing the tile and sprite editors. I even had a petition about it. I guess it doesn't hurt to keep trying. I think at this point they have moved beyond the Phoenix engine so it might be possible they will give us the editors. The reason they gave originally was that some other company could use the editors to create a new game without being licensed or some shit. As if the EULA doesn't give them complete control over anything made from the tools....

Let's start a email campaign - everyone send John several emails a day requesting the editors?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Sounds good. E-mail or PM me his e-mail address.

I think we should all use an identical e-mail message, too, just to be thoroughly annoying.

Nice thing I like about my mod is that I own the copyright to the intellectual property - the story, title and such have all been incorporated into my book and several images I have made in Truespace and Photoshop. So they could take what I made with the editor if they wanted, but they'd have to remove any references to my book, including weapon and equipment names and descriptions. Then the mod would be retarded and out of context.

Ah, I love copyright issues.
- the Vault Dweller
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:everyone send John several emails a day
PnP?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah