Chrome Warriors: Team Eagle Claw

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Chrome Warriors: Team Eagle Claw

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'm making a five-mission campaign based on a book I'm writing entitled "Chrome Warriors: The Future of Combat." It features new weapons, items and a few novel ways of making squad members have more character. NPC dialogue will be spoken. The performances won't win any Oscars, but they add alot to the experience.

Most of the GUI will also be changed to reflect the theme better, as well as new weapon sprites added.

The campaign takes place in the year 3030 on the planet Pluto. The story has absolutely nothing to do with Fallout.

More information on the book, and some chapters of it, and the project can be found at www.retlaw.deviantart.com

Screenshots can be found at www.geocities.com/utscw/screenshots.html
I'll warn you that the images at the bottom of the screen take awhile to load.

Please tell me how you think things look so far. I think the default Tactics font goes well with my GUI changes.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I take it the screenshots were to show off the GUI?

The guns look "ok" seeming they aren't textured yet. I don't really notice anything different about te GUI except those panels on the side.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I recolored it the GUI to look metallic is the main thing. Some things - like the PIPBoy interface - have been completely overhauled. I'll put up a screen of that later.

You'll notice that on the bar instead of PIP it will say ABIS, which is an AI used in my book to assist troops in the battlefield.
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Wow, those are some high resolution red X's for the first few pictures.

I won't comment on the weapons as they're not textured at all, maybe they just look too simple though to my discerning eye? Ofcourse, I can't make anything better unless I draw it, so I shouldn't complain.

Sikes looks a little too fat to survive the wasteland, much less be a soldier. Better sketch him up a can of Slim Fast ASAP.
Harriers for the cup.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I'll wait to comment when it is further along. I'm amazed people still play FoT i n any form..
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Wow, those are some high resolution red X's for the first few pictures.
Damn it. The thing keeps breaking for no goddamned reason.

I fixed it, though.

As for the weapons, they might not get textured. They're flat composite materials and metal. How am I supposed to texture that?
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Still not fixed. The problem is because your image tag still leads to the "C://" so it works on your computer, but since none of us have it on ours it won't work. Upload them on the site and change the "Img src".

You're the programmer and 3-D artist. My suggestion if possible was to just take pictures of the real weapons, png them, shrink, cut, paste, whatever and use those......but what do I know?
Harriers for the cup.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Wolfman Walt wrote: You're the programmer and 3-D artist. My suggestion if possible was to just take pictures of the real weapons, png them, shrink, cut, paste, whatever and use those......but what do I know?
lol. That idea would work terrifically, and I wish I could do it, except all the weapons are entirely fictional. The rifle - whose barrel and magazine color I'll probably change for higher realism - is called a K17 and fires large caliber caseless ammunition. I'd have it fire grenades out of the integral launcher as well, but Tactics won't support it. The boxy machinegun is a man-packed fully automatic railgun that fires 1mm rounds. Both are a tad bit unrealistic, but the story takes place well over a thousand years in the future.

Thanks for pointing out my html woes, Wolfman. It SHOULD be working now. My first map is probably about 25% complete, so some screens of that might be forthcoming as well.

If I get around to it I'll do a proper website, if not I'll break down the screenshots for faster loading.
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Hmmm? I suppose its time to get creative with plastic and paint? If worst comes to worse, maybe buy some old G.I. Joes, paint the weapons with some high quality model paint and snap some shots of those?

Ugh hmm, you could probably buy some molding plastic and some gun props and customize from there.

Also, just a dumb question......but you know 14 MM is just a ridiculiousily huge round, right?
Harriers for the cup.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Or you could just, you know, draw them instead of making them.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Well I figured that answer was obvious, especially since I think I mentioned it somewhere.
Harriers for the cup.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Umm... I never mentioned anything about a 14mm round. But yes, that would be ridiculously huge for a manpacked weapon. I did mention a 1mm round - which is very small - for the railgun. Perhaps that's where the confusion is?

All my attempts at drawing the weapons are awful. I think I'll just texture them the best I can.
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Blah I missread.
Harriers for the cup.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I've gotten the basics for the first mission down. I just need to refine the triggers and the speech file, then add some scenery.
- the Vault Dweller
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Retlaw83 wrote:All my attempts at drawing the weapons are awful. I think I'll just texture them the best I can.
They do look overly simplistic with the basic shapes. I'd recommend exporting a large sized jpeg from your 3d program, then bringing it into Photoshop to add more detail. Email me one larger(300x500 or so) jpeg and I'll show what I mean.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Thanks.

I've always been awful at texturing things.
- the Vault Dweller
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I want to add at least two new vehicles to my new mod, but Spray won't let me add new graphics for it.

Which do you think is better? Make the vehicles, supply pictures and tell the player that is what they should look like, or screw it?

I guess what I'm asking is... anybody want to play pretend?
- the Vault Dweller
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

If anyone is still monitoring this thread, 2 missions out of 5 are done. 1 more vehicle needs programmed, the alien weapon needs a sprite, voice acting needs finished (but that's a mission-by-mission thing) and I might add a single random encounter that will be cool for any hardcore Fallout fan. I also need to do some small details like setting prices of items and making my money work like money.

And also, a MASSIVE thank you to JimmyJay86 for texturing up my boring sprites!
- the Vault Dweller
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I'm not sure what you mean by changing a vehicle. It will be impossible to change an existing vehicle with Spray so the only real option is to use one of the standard vehicles and give it a different history.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

That's what I meant. Should I give existing vehicles a different history and ask the player to play pretend, or just forgo vehicles?
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!