Wasteland: Metal God

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Scorea
SDF!
SDF!

Wasteland: Metal God

Post by Scorea »

Wasteland: Metal God is a Source Engine modification preparing to start production soon. This is a community project done for fun and to provide it's members with something they can show to potential employers. It uses a post-apocalyptic setting silmilar to the one used in the Fallout series of games by Black Isle Studios, among others. Metal God is currently in development and will begin full production in September. Production will last for nine to twelve months Currently we are seeking talented and dedicated people to join our team. If you are interested in joining, please send an e-mail to johking@uat.edu or josbake1@uat.edu At this time we're looking for:

3-D Artists
2-D Artists
Character Modelers
Level Designers
Last edited by Scorea on Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Now as a Fallout fan yourself I trust you are basing this potentially cool modification on the first two Fallouts, right? The subtitle Metal God seems to make reference to Fallout Tactics' plot and frankly that's kind of Communist. I myself can't program out of a bag but... I'll be moral support?
Scorea
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Scorea »

Actually we were suggested (to the point were refusing wasn't an option) that we shouldn't use the Fallout name or any other trademarked items. This is reflected in the changes to the post. And no, the storyline did not hold Tactics in high esteem.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Scorea wrote:Actually we were suggested (to the point were refusing wasn't an option) that we shouldn't use the Fallout name or any other trademarked items.
Who's gonna sue you? Interplay? Titus? Damien Foletto?

BTW, you misspelled "scoria".
Jim5
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Jim5 »

why don't you ask Interplay about that?
DO YOU THINK THAT YOU KNOW THE FALLOUT WORLD?DO YOU THINK THAT YOU CAN COMPETE AGAINST OTHERS IN A CONTEST?
IF SO JOIN www.stgfc.com
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Although it is a violation of the copyright rules, the chances of you getting sued is very unlikely, nobody will really care if you use the Fallout IP unless you hurt the commercial value of that property and the chances of you doing that, again, are very unlikely. Of course these rules only apply if your product has no commercial value and by that I mean free.

Of course it’s always best if you ask the owner, just make sure you log all the conversations, e-mails, etc.

EDITED: Oh and make sure you tell the user that your product is not affiliated with the owner and that it is unlicensed.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Yeah, as long as you don't plan to make any money off someone's license and give them some credit (Something like.. Based on Fallout. Copywright 1997 Interplay studios. ) then I guess you can do whatever the fuck you want.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

"Wasteland" copyright belonged to Interplay until Brian Fargo claimed it, if memory serves me right. And he wants to make a game on it soon.
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

Yeah, didn't InXile pick up the rights to this.
Our Host!