real fallout

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
king_ota
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

real fallout

Post by king_ota »

Im not shure on this but if FO2 is about 80 years after the war then shouldn't most of the radiation dispersed by now (provied that most of the bombs were air bursts, not guround blasts)
Hail to the King!
Its good to be the king!
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

No, that kind of massive radiation takes far longer to dissappear. Plus, it's with '50's theories, meaning the reaction they said happened (the sky burts into flames) would intensify the radiation and unleash it into the atmosphere leaving the world radiated for centuries.
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Chris Taylor emailed this to me months ago. I thought it was interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/03/01/nuclea ... index.html

We've all been exposed to fallout.
------------------
Gehenna
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

AHAH!

Post by Gehenna »

And THAT, children, is why I drink only rainwater and pure grain alcohol.
-Gehenna
Every time someone in Interplay's marketing department makes a decision, an angel gets hit by a bus.
FLEA
SDF!
SDF!

Post by FLEA »

hmm 50 after the war the radiation particles would just begin to decompose wich means the radiation level increases and it would take em anot 70 years to fully disappear so my guess is no
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I find it surprising it mentions Chernobyl and not Three miles Island. Well, perhaps because Chernobyl is more recent...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Um.. 3 m isle? :?

And talking about recent - was it 1984 or 1986? Or something totally else! :P
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Flamescreen wrote:I find it surprising it mentions Chernobyl and not Three miles Island. Well, perhaps because Chernobyl is more recent...
Three Mile wasn't a complete meltdown, was it? There was still a lot of containment there.

Chernobyl is still a problem. They dumped concrete on the core, then they built a vault over it. However, the radiation is so powerful at that site, it's making the concrete more brittle than it normally is.

However, they go back to the atomic bomb tests in the 1950s radiating people.. So...
------------------
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Sure, but I would think that Three mile island would be more of a proper example for the American viewers. Not for the world though as its been less globally known, no global media then...
And its 1986 for Chernobyl Kashluk.
A page for those who don't know about 3MI...
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Well, Tjernobyl is a great example- they expect it to be unihabitable for another 100-150 years. And that's not even close to the amount of radiation a war like the one in Fallout would cause.

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
king_ota
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by king_ota »

Does any one know if the bombs were primarily air bursts or ground bursts? (thats basicly my question)

wasn't the ammount of uranium in chernoble(sp) much greater then a nuclear bomb? (softball sized [bomb] to alot of rods [plant])
Hail to the King!
Its good to be the king!
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Since they used fat-man style bombs I'd say they were all ground-bursts. These also contained much more radioactive material. No to mention the atmospheric reactionthey said happened (an old '50s theory that has now been disproved but was strong back then- something about a big nuclear reaction setting off a chain-reaction through the entire atmosphere. They mention this in the Fallout 1 intro).

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Flamescreen wrote:S
And its 1986 for Chernobyl Kashluk.
I remember when Chernobyl was very specifically. It was 8th grade, and we were dicussing it in Earth Science class. We were talking about how big a problem it was with no good solution to it.

I said, "Why don't they dump lots of liquid concrete on it? It would cool it and the concrete would set up faster due to the heat." My teacher said that wouldn't work at all. There was a bit of discussion about it and we moved on to another subject.

That night on the news, they announced that the Russians were dumping liquid concrete on it to cool the area and seal the core.

Next day I walked in to that class with a huge, shit eating grin on my face. Before I said anything, my teacher said, "Yes, I saw the news too. Now sit down."
------------------
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

I was told that the amount of nukes the world has is enought to destroy earth 3 times. Well if nukes hit the stored nukes the world would go bye bye 8O !!!!!
What do you think of this?
"When Angels deserve to die." - SoaD (System of a Down)

A Member Of The Knight Organization
Sc0pE
Respected
Respected

Post by Sc0pE »

tell me if i'm wrong, but wasn't FO like 250 years after the war or something and then FO2 was 80 years after FO??? and the stored nukes probably would have been fine, depending on the mechanism used to make critical mass...
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

From what I remember is that FO is 80 years after the 'Great War' and FO2 is 80 years after FO and FOT is 40 years after FO.
Sc0pE
Respected
Respected

Post by Sc0pE »

hmmm.. 80 years after the war sounds better for FO, but i thought that FOT was 40 years after FO and FO2 was 40 years aftyer FOT, thus being 80 years after FO... if FO2 was 40 years after FO, your ancestor woiuld stilll be alive...
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

Sc0pE wrote:hmmm.. 80 years after the war sounds better for FO, but i thought that FOT was 40 years after FO and FO2 was 40 years aftyer FOT, thus being 80 years after FO... if FO2 was 40 years after FO, your ancestor woiuld stilll be alive...
Argh stop it or my brain blows up !!!
To put it easy and contradict you all the war erupted in 2077 now do the math :P (you know this reading the S.A.D. holodisks)
"When Angels deserve to die." - SoaD (System of a Down)

A Member Of The Knight Organization
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

Here a simple little timeline

'Great War' ---80 years---> FO---40years---> FOT---40years---> FO2
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Here's a simpler timeline: