Fallout Mod for CIV 3

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.

Would you like to see a Fallout mod for civ 3

Heck yeah!
71%
Heck no!
3%
Don't care
17%
What is civ 3?
9%

Total votes: 35

Thorgrimm
Respected
Respected

Post by Thorgrimm »

Yup, the names are already there, they are just not defined yet. And you are not annoying, this is what I want, feedback. Seems the only place I get feedback is here and CFC. So these are the two places I frequent. :pirate:

Here is a screenie of the new Vehicle Rehab Facility Small Wonder just created by Xerxes for the fallout mod. He sent me the Wonder splash and I converted it to the needed buildings icons. Good Job dude!

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas
Slaughter_Manslaught
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Slaughter_Manslaught »

Man, these deathclaws are sure some TOUGH bastiches! Now, guess what? I'm fighting fire with fire. Let's see if MY deathclaws are Bastichier than theirs.

Oh, and by the way: Raiders are going to be introduced in the game?
Bring your daughter... to the Slaughter of Manslaught.
Thorgrimm
Respected
Respected

Post by Thorgrimm »

Slaughter_Manslaught wrote:Man, these deathclaws are sure some TOUGH bastiches! Now, guess what? I'm fighting fire with fire. Let's see if MY deathclaws are Bastichier than theirs.

Oh, and by the way: Raiders are going to be introduced in the game?
Yup, the raiders and a Slaver civ. they have been seperated into two different minor civs. :pirate:

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Had the same problemo as Slaughter_Manslaught, it didn't DL properly with FF, but I'm trying with IE now and it seems to be working fine.

Just one point, I looked through all of this thread before starting, is this a Wonder?
The rediscovery of trade does this;
4 culture per turn
2 happy in all cities
+50% research output
+50% luxury output
+50% tax output
Increases luxury trade
In the city built it increases trade arrows by one on worked tiles
Pays the maintenance on all trade installations
And finally the treasury earns 5%

Because it looks extremely imbalanced. If you remember, in Civ III, most of the wonders didn't have such awesome effects, i.e. only gave like 6 culture per turn, which was nice, but not overpowered. This thing looks very overpowered. Maybe if you divided those effects out between 3 different wonders it would be more balanced (if it is a wonder). I'm downloading it right now and hope I can give some feedback that will hopefully be more constructive than this one once I'm done.

edit: I can't seem to download Mod music file. Stops half way through, even with IE. Retrying now.
Thorgrimm
Respected
Respected

Post by Thorgrimm »

It may seem overpowering, and in a regular civ game it would be. But trust me, you will desperately need it in the fallout mod. The wastes are a harsh mistress. :pirate:

Its possible FF does not like the site for some reason.

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Slaughter_Manslaught
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Thor, just a little question (look for this message for possible edits): What a sentry tower does? The same thing as the perimeter defense and the wood palisiades?
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Could someone rapidshare the music folder please? I've tried downloading it over 10 times with 2 different browers and no success.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Try it with a download manager.
Thorgrimm
Respected
Respected

Post by Thorgrimm »

Slaughter_Manslaught wrote:Thor, just a little question (look for this message for possible edits): What a sentry tower does? The same thing as the perimeter defense and the wood palisiades?
No, it provides a steath attack protection. And there are units that have stealth attack. :pirate:

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Slaughter_Manslaught
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Thorgrimm wrote:
Slaughter_Manslaught wrote:Thor, just a little question (look for this message for possible edits): What a sentry tower does? The same thing as the perimeter defense and the wood palisiades?
No, it provides a steath attack protection. And there are units that have stealth attack. :pirate:

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Wow... Explain me that little thingie, please? Looks cool...
Thorgrimm
Respected
Respected

Post by Thorgrimm »

What stealth attack means is that it can choose what unit to attack, it does not have to attack the best defender.

A stealth attack barrier keeps that from happening. A very useful building to have, especially when the units that have it in the FO mod are invisible. :pirate:

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Finally got all the files that I needed (thanks for the tip, Cthulhu). Played it for a few hours, so these are my comments:

Tech Tree
- beginning is way too slow. Earlier techs should allow the building of more buildings. Maybe they should be jumbeled around a bit.
- description for Tannery is missing.
- money is pointless, but you're probably aware of that already.

Environment
- WAY too many Radscorpions, to the point where it makes it pointless to have workers. You need to clear the area for a long time before you can send any workers out of the city.
- some of the textures are difficult to understand and have more of a confusing effect, i.e. the ruined city, etc.

Civs/Units
- that Enclave special unit that you start with (1st army, or something) is extremely imbalanced. I made a little experiment. Restarted the game and just sent him across the map to the nearest civilization. Walked over all of B.O.S's cities without them being able to lift a finger.
- the Unity's ability to produce slaves is too frequent. Either reduce the number of radscorpions or decrease the chance of getting a slave (I think 10% would be a good number).
- a) either too many units and too good ones to start with in the beginning, or
b) teching to later units is way too slow. You need to cherish the ones that you have in the beginning, literally meaning that early game warfare (which I'm a huge fan of) is literally 0.
- how about each Civ starts with 1 city, 1 worker and 1 militia? I know that it would be less true to the background, but it would make it much more balanced and a better game.
- Enclave tanker has way too many move points. Yes, I do remember that moving units across the sea in Civ III was chaotic and next to pointless, but here it's a little overdone. How about 2 move points per turn?

Other
- why is there a horrible loading time after each round? I have to wait for at least 10 seconds T_T
- worker AI is not too great (is it Civ III AI or did you change it a little, because they seemed a little more intelligent in Conquests). For example, tell a Worker to automate. If there is no-one nearby they'll do a job, but if a radscorpion advances, instead of picking a new task, they decide to wait in the nearest town indefinately. Needs some tweaking I think ~~
- the new look. I know that your intention was to make it more Falloutish, but it doesn't really work out. Instead it's quite difficult to read and no offence, but some of it is just plain ugly. However, I know that this is just an early version and such things will probably be fixed sometime in the future.

This is my experiences this far. I'll post some more once I get into the game a little more. By the way, if you need an extra hand on the project, I could help out a little. I don't have any experience with modding, but I've been playing Civ III for years and know the game inside out. For example, I could help you out with those tech trees and stuff. If you already have enough people, it's fine as well.
Thorgrimm
Respected
Respected

Post by Thorgrimm »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:Finally got all the files that I needed (thanks for the tip, Cthulhu). Played it for a few hours, so these are my comments:

Tech Tree
- beginning is way too slow. Earlier techs should allow the building of more buildings. Maybe they should be jumbeled around a bit.
- description for Tannery is missing.
- money is pointless, but you're probably aware of that already.

Environment
- WAY too many Radscorpions, to the point where it makes it pointless to have workers. You need to clear the area for a long time before you can send any workers out of the city.
- some of the textures are difficult to understand and have more of a confusing effect, i.e. the ruined city, etc.

Civs/Units
- that Enclave special unit that you start with (1st army, or something) is extremely imbalanced. I made a little experiment. Restarted the game and just sent him across the map to the nearest civilization. Walked over all of B.O.S's cities without them being able to lift a finger.
- the Unity's ability to produce slaves is too frequent. Either reduce the number of radscorpions or decrease the chance of getting a slave (I think 10% would be a good number).
- a) either too many units and too good ones to start with in the beginning, or
b) teching to later units is way too slow. You need to cherish the ones that you have in the beginning, literally meaning that early game warfare (which I'm a huge fan of) is literally 0.
- how about each Civ starts with 1 city, 1 worker and 1 militia? I know that it would be less true to the background, but it would make it much more balanced and a better game.
- Enclave tanker has way too many move points. Yes, I do remember that moving units across the sea in Civ III was chaotic and next to pointless, but here it's a little overdone. How about 2 move points per turn?

Other
- why is there a horrible loading time after each round? I have to wait for at least 10 seconds T_T
- worker AI is not too great (is it Civ III AI or did you change it a little, because they seemed a little more intelligent in Conquests). For example, tell a Worker to automate. If there is no-one nearby they'll do a job, but if a radscorpion advances, instead of picking a new task, they decide to wait in the nearest town indefinately. Needs some tweaking I think ~~
- the new look. I know that your intention was to make it more Falloutish, but it doesn't really work out. Instead it's quite difficult to read and no offence, but some of it is just plain ugly. However, I know that this is just an early version and such things will probably be fixed sometime in the future.

This is my experiences this far. I'll post some more once I get into the game a little more. By the way, if you need an extra hand on the project, I could help out a little. I don't have any experience with modding, but I've been playing Civ III for years and know the game inside out. For example, I could help you out with those tech trees and stuff. If you already have enough people, it's fine as well.
This is the type of feedback I need. :eyebrow:

Tech Tree
1. The wastelands are a harsh mistress and it is going to take centuries, not decades, to recover from a nuclear war. So it has to be slow in the end Besides, the mod has 1000 turns.
2. Yup, lots of civilopedia entries are missing. Txt files need lots of work.
3. Not pointless, still need to pay maintenance and some forms of govt can use money to rush items. The Enclave is not one opf those govts, they would rather lash the backs of the tribals to rush. :eyebrow:

Environment
1. Actually the version you have has been watered down. Added more. Once again the concept is to first survive, push back the wastelands, and THEN expand. With this mod you have to think outside the civ 3 box to have a chance to win or even survive the howling wastes. :eyebrow:
2. Wait till you see the wastelands terrain incorporated. War tends to destroy and confues things, throw in a few nukes, and it will get even more confusing. :drunk: The ruined city is where the Old Cities used to be, they are now ground zero for the wastelands terrain.

Civ/Units
1, No, it can die, and no it can not take the capital, try taking out that popup turret with your Early PA and you WILL be sorry. :eyebrow:
2. The amount of slaves recieved is hardcoded. Either they enslave or they don't. No in between.
3. Each civ starts with the same amount of units, Only BOS and the Enclave start with PA and I have seen them die on a bughunt. :eyebrow:
a. You have to cherish these to, you will NOT be able to build them for a VERY long time, lose your PA or Combat Armor and find out what happens when those scorps change into Deathclaws. :flamed:
b. When folks are more concerned with survival than learning, science get shoved to the rear till you have room to grow once again.
4. they would never survive.
5. Point taken on the tanker, will reduce the movement points.

Other
1. On slower machines the comp needs to process all mices for each civ and the barbs. Sometimes the ai moves a lot of barbs.
2. Standard civ 3 AI. No changes by me.
3. I am sorry you do not like the gfx, but they have been finalized. Sorry about that. You are of course free to change your version to whatever you wish.

And I look forward to your continued feedback. If you wish to help, go to the CFC Workshop forum and apply for membership in the Sci Fi workshop. Would you be willing to do civilopedia text entries?

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Slaughter_Manslaught
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Let me add some coments:

Enviroment:

1º - Why workers and settlers can't enter on wasteland terrain, but EVERYONE else can? Sometimes, I find a resource on a wasteland, but I can't build a road to get it because of the wasteland terrain.

2º - You know - The east is just a BIG lot of desert, rivers and flood plains. And on the other hand, the coast is quite a lushland. Why?

Civ/Units

1º - Man, I just finished playing it. Decided to stop after a GIGANTIC, I mean, GIGANTIC, army of robots with the same firepower of a Early Power Armor invaded my territory. They would smash me next turn, I bet. And before that, they destroyed the Unity, they fought the Vault Dwellers and took some of their towns, and almost destroyed New Reno. They had a GIGANTIC, MASSIVE empire. Stronger that all civs combined, I think. How in HELL they expanded so much? (I was playing in demigod, will try monarch)

2º - Why the people of the vaults are called "Vaulters" and not "Vault Dwellers?"

ok, started that monarch game:

3º - The Mutants aren't a little near from the robots?

4º - It's just me, or while there's a butload of radscorpions around the coast, there's less of them near the unity?

5º - Then again, why the mutants can't build their settlers? Someone else experienced this issue? I already have patch 1.22, green goo, tribals and anything else it might need.

6º - You could add a bonus, or even strategic resource representing pre-war bases and such. Yeah, I know about the old huts, but they just don't get the "salvage the stuff" thingie, except when you get tech from them.

EDIT: By the way, I eslaved a barbarian unit with a mutant melee, and made it join "The Vats." Funny enough, it appeared of "critter" nationality. There's any issue with that? Or I can join as many critter slaves as I want?

EDIT 02: What a Cathedral of Apocalypse serves for?

EDIT 03: It's possible to change the dialogues of the leaders? I mean, there's some stuff they say that looks quite strange in the fallout world, and all FO fans around would love seeing Richard Grey talking weird, Set saying "Dirt Nap", Maxson using his slang-ish military talk, and Richardson talking in his polite, patriotic way.

Great work on that mod, man!
Thorgrimm
Respected
Respected

Post by Thorgrimm »

Slaughter_Manslaught wrote:Let me add some coments:

Enviroment:

1º - Why workers and settlers can't enter on wasteland terrain, but EVERYONE else can? Sometimes, I find a resource on a wasteland, but I can't build a road to get it because of the wasteland terrain.

2º - You know - The east is just a BIG lot of desert, rivers and flood plains. And on the other hand, the coast is quite a lushland. Why?

Civ/Units

1º - Man, I just finished playing it. Decided to stop after a GIGANTIC, I mean, GIGANTIC, army of robots with the same firepower of a Early Power Armor invaded my territory. They would smash me next turn, I bet. And before that, they destroyed the Unity, they fought the Vault Dwellers and took some of their towns, and almost destroyed New Reno. They had a GIGANTIC, MASSIVE empire. Stronger that all civs combined, I think. How in HELL they expanded so much? (I was playing in demigod, will try monarch)

2º - Why the people of the vaults are called "Vaulters" and not "Vault Dwellers?"

ok, started that monarch game:

3º - The Mutants aren't a little near from the robots?

4º - It's just me, or while there's a butload of radscorpions around the coast, there's less of them near the unity?

5º - Then again, why the mutants can't build their settlers? Someone else experienced this issue? I already have patch 1.22, green goo, tribals and anything else it might need.

6º - You could add a bonus, or even strategic resource representing pre-war bases and such. Yeah, I know about the old huts, but they just don't get the "salvage the stuff" thingie, except when you get tech from them.

EDIT: By the way, I eslaved a barbarian unit with a mutant melee, and made it join "The Vats." Funny enough, it appeared of "critter" nationality. There's any issue with that? Or I can join as many critter slaves as I want?

EDIT 02: What a Cathedral of Apocalypse serves for?

EDIT 03: It's possible to change the dialogues of the leaders? I mean, there's some stuff they say that looks quite strange in the fallout world, and all FO fans around would love seeing Richard Grey talking weird, Set saying "Dirt Nap", Maxson using his slang-ish military talk, and Richardson talking in his polite, patriotic way.

Great work on that mod, man!
Environment

1. Gameplay reasons, Any unit combat unit can go into the wastelands but only the enviro armor can work it. Civ three has no way to damage units with terrain, so I have to limit the workers and settlers ability to work that terrain. BTW the enviro armor also ignore the movement cost of the wastelands.

2. Look at a map, ;) that is the way California and Nevada are in the real world.

Civ/Units

1. The Bots are designed for just that, big bad asses, that will roll through any unprepared civ. The Unity is the only civ that can stop them early, their mutie melee units, especially if you use the enslave upgrade chain properly, can wipe the bots out. Seen it half a dozen times done by the AI. :D

The Big three, as it were, are the EOTC, Enclave and BOS. if you let them get huge and don't have a coalition built against which ever one is huge, you will die. This is not a standard civ scenario, you need to think outside the box. ;) :D

That may mean you might have to pull a civ or two up by their bootstraps with tech to get them pumping out good units in the war. But I have also seen the Unity wipe out the bots and be the big threat with a massive army. The best game for anybody else is for the EOTC and Unity be relatively evenly matched and just beating the piss out of each other but not trading cities.

Hint, Bot Infantry can NOT see invisible units, Think Combat Armor Sniper. :eyebrow:

2. Just a play on semantics, they both mean the exact same thing.

3. Nope actually they are quite far away, only through that central river valley do they usually ever combat each other. The Unity can spread out quite a bit, it all depends on the pattern of radscorp killing that the ai chooses as to how big they become.

4. There is a reason for that, have you figured it out yet? :eyebrow:

5. I have no idea why you are having a problem, I can build them with no problems. Send me a copy of your BIQ file and I will load it up to see what may be wrong. Thorgrimm@comcast.net

6. What do you think the ammo and other types of resources represent? ;)

EDIT 1. Nope, that is a bug I will change a slaves ability to join cities. Good catch. :drunk:

EDIT 2. It allows the Unity to begin spy missions. Their spies are not as good as the Mobs are, but it allows sabotage and tech stealing missions.

EDIT 3. Yes it is possible, it has to do with the diplomacy text file, just gotta figure out what civ gets what dialog. :pirate:

I am glad you are enjoying the mod. Keep up the outstanding feedback.

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Thorgrimm
Respected
Respected

Post by Thorgrimm »

Found the problem, You are correct, the AI can build the settler with the tech requirement, but for some reason, even though the civ has the tech from the get go the human can not build it. So I took out the tech requirement and now they are buildable to a human player. Good catch dude. This is why I need playtesters, the more eyes, the better. :)

Added a Mutant Rocket launcher to the mod.

Hey Slaughter, would you like to join the team as a playtester?

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Slaughter_Manslaught
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Found the problem, You are correct, the AI can build the settler with the tech requirement, but for some reason, even though the civ has the tech from the get go the human can not build it.
I was just going to report this when I saw your post. I decided to play Ghouls, and then my Scout dog found the Unity. I said "Hey! WTF?! They CAN build the settlers, but I CAN'T?! WTF?!"

So I took out the tech requirement and now they are buildable to a human player.
VIVA! Now I can kick ass with mutants! Human scum, pray for my arrival be delayed!

Good catch dude. This is why I need playtesters, the more eyes, the better. :smile:
Thanks. More eyes? No thanks, two are enough. And there's the joke on VBR comic about me and the three-eyed guy...
Added a Mutant Rocket launcher to the mod.
Kool! Nothing beats some explosive firepower! When the update is going to be out?
Hey Slaughter, would you like to join the team as a playtester?
Sure I do! Where do I sign?
Thorgrimm
Respected
Respected

Post by Thorgrimm »

Slaughter, the more eyes comment was about playtesting the mod. I can only test one civ by myself. So I have to watch the ai actions in debug mode. So I had seen there was no probs with the muties building settlers as the ai, so I had assumed that the player could to. :eyebrow:

Go to your player control panel on CFC and go to usergroups and apply to join Flamand and Thor's sci fi workshop. But if you join as a playtester I WILL expect reports on the assignments I give you. :pirate:

All updates are first playtested by the team before releasing. So if you join you have access to the updates first. :eyebrow:

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Slaughter_Manslaught
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Slaughter, the more eyes comment was about playtesting the mod.
I knew, I was just joking, hehehe. The joke at the comic is real, through. Hirilarious!

I can only test one civ by myself. So I have to watch the ai actions in debug mode. So I had seen there was no probs with the muties building settlers as the ai, so I had assumed that the player could to. :eyebrow:

Yeah, that bug was really weird. When I've found AI settlers, I screamed "Hey, you cheaters! Where are human players rights?! You AI cheater!" Strange thing is that I found it.

Go to your player control panel on CFC and go to usergroups and apply to join Flamand and Thor's sci fi workshop. But if you join as a playtester I WILL expect reports on the assignments I give you. :pirate:
Did that. I'm going in. Let me guess the rules? "If you lose your weapon, you'll spend a week in the box. If you lose your armor, you'll spend a week in the box. If you lose your weapons and armor, I'll kill you MYSELF!"

All updates are first playtested by the team before releasing. So if you join you have access to the updates first. :eyebrow:

KOOL!
Thorgrimm
Respected
Respected

Post by Thorgrimm »

What I expect is when I give you something to test you test it. You would be surprised at how many folks thinks that playtesting means playing, it does not. :eyebrow:

When testing a civ overall, I want two general reports just touching the bases, not too detailed and then one detailed report a week. The last one I want great detail, like you have done so far. :)

And welcome to the team.

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Our Host!