More Pigs (and cowbell)

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

More Pigs (and cowbell)

Post by CloudNineGT »

MMORPG's, love them or hate them, are in full swing. They also seem to be some of the only games worth playing. So I'm left with the dilemma of spitting in my own face for playing them or turning a cold shoulder to what could promise to be a hilarious breeding ground for tomfoolery. City of Heroes has piqued my interest and could fulfill my dream of being a diminutive robot in the big city. It also doesn’t have much of an item based economy, and after having a brief nightmare that went by the name of Diablo II I'm in no hurry to spend my time looking for runes and gems to mix up in my box of wonders. It most likely boils down to how many people I know that play, and that has things weighted in the most likely heavily retarded FFXI, though I hear it is actually a nice game. I'm just in no hurry to play an elf with an oversized sword next to a cat-ninja. In short (and now late since I wrote a lot of useless things) MMORPG good? Bad? What one?
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

i was only attracted to this thread by the keyword "Cowbell" ... ...

for some reason, it reminded me of something... someone i think... from a long time ago...
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

There's no fun for any MMOG noobie with big games like Everquest (I believe 70% of all players are over level 40 or something,) or Ulitma Online. Unless consumers want to be slaying rats for 5 years, Everquest is on it's way out as EQ II creeps closer. The death of EQ will be offical once the EQ II servers become live.

(Face it, SOE will always have some demonic version of EQ. It's fucking crappy but damn is it a great money maker.)

The only way to really enjoy a MMOG is to grab a copy of the game when it's first released. Then, it's a relatively leveled playing field as thousands of people are able to slay rats and complete mindless Fed-Ex quests with-out a real risk of having a power-player come down and bitch slap n00bs with a Bastard Sword +135: Palme De Bitch.

The coolest massively multiplayer game that's out right now has to be Planetside. Can't get it because God didn't give me a credit card at birth. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this.

In conclusion, popular MMOGs can suck ass because of the permenant n00b status that is stuck with new players. The first hours of gameplay for new MMOGs will probably also suck ass.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

I always considered playing MMORPG's but once I got around to trying it, and I realised it was rather stupid.
There was no point, absolutely no meaning with playing since there was no plot....

So, I left it at that and started molesting people instead.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

More cowbell! Was a SNL skit with Bruce Dickensen and Blue Oyster Cult.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Green, you forgot the fun in playing with friends. I've got a few people in CoH and FFXI, so leveling in the beginning can still be fun.

Actually my real turn off is paying money that I don't have.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

The concept of working with friends in games like City of Heroes is unbeknowst to me since I'm the only mother-fucker out of my entire social group who has DSL. Regardless, you make a good point about the team-work factor.

Word of advice to teh noobs, MUDs demand hardcore commitment. The lure of a free text-based MMOG might be tempting but everyone knows MUDing is not for everyone. Do drugs, drop out of school.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Mr. Green wrote:Do drugs, drop out of school.
That's what I did like 2 years ago, when DAoC came out. I bough it right when it came out, just after I had dropped school, so I used to play hours during the night, and was fairly advacned compared to the average guy. It's an awesome game with a lot of depth and in which every classes are fun and balanced. The developpers are very present, there is constant patching. The fun part begins at level 20 though, when you can go out of your realm to fight on the battlefields with level limits. Then, at 35, you can siege other realms' castle and it gets even better. Mass raids during the night were awesome, hundreds of people fighting. Then they added the PvP dungeon. A good system let the 3 realms, turn by turn, be able to enter it. But once you're realm's time is up, you're trapped there with monsters and other players until death.

Then I stopped drugs and got back to school. Stopped playing for some months. When I was away, they implemented this gay feature which let people with a level 50 character create a free level 20 one (or 30, don't remember), so when I came back, I was all alone with my new low-level character(my account was somehow deleted), and got discouraged at level 11. Not grouping is boring and leveling without grouping is deadly slow.

Since then, I said FUCK MMOG, especially those who requires you to pay.

Another thing which annoys me : Guys playing female characters and not telling you.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Way back in the day I played a rogue in Diablo and people would give me stuff asking me to be their girlfriend. Didn't even ask if I was male.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

s4ur0n27 wrote:Another thing which annoys me : Guys playing female characters and not telling you.
You seem to assume that women play MMORPGs too
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

You never know. I've seen some girls playing SW:G and CS in LANs. Who knows what the future's keeping in his pocket for us? We might even see Interplay come up with somegood game someday, although I doubt any of us lives long enough for that.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

The girls that play MMOGs have, obviously, through-the-roof levels of testosterone, so they're not really girls per se. It's best to steer clear of the whole crowd. With the money you waste on MMOGs, you could be sniffing some real high quality glue instead; ponder that.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

12$ worth of glue wont keep me through a month.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Yeah it will, what are you talking about. What are you, retarded? He who isn't fit to manage his glue supply is not fit to sniff glue!

Edit: fixed predictable spelling error.
Last edited by atoga on Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

i find it absolutely astounding that people will pay $90 for a goddamn game then pay to play it.

it just contradicts logic. if i pay for a game i expect to be able to play it without additional fees.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:i find it absolutely astounding that people will pay $90 for a goddamn game then pay to play it.

it just contradicts logic. if i pay for a game i expect to be able to play it without additional fees.
Exactly, it doesn't make sense for me to pay a monthly fee to play a game. At most I'd pay a one-time fee of up to $60 to play a great game. But it should be a GREAT game.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Or a direction more like Ragnarok where you download the game and have to pay like $7 a month to play. Not too draining on the wallet, and if you dont like it you didn’t waste that much cash.
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Pat To Play

Post by 4too »

Pay To Play

MFG:
i find it absolutely astounding that people will pay $90 for a goddamn game then pay to play it.

A lot of life's options have that "pay to play" proviso. Phones, Cell phones, Cable or Satillite TV, Health Clubs, Country Clubs, Sports Clubs a.k.a. Golf and so further into our "total entertaimnet age" ....

Just being on line with a functional PC is a hefty down payment and a monthly fee ...

I agree with your astonishment because of the hidden cost of "play".

OUR TIME!

These designers and purveyors of massive online social interaction simulators may be avoiding the TIME their subscribers must PAY to be able to 'stay in the game".

I wonder if these market'eers are banking on the addictive nature of ''massive online'' behavior. Even a "mass audience'' hooked by a vehicle of "mass appeal" will finally reach that "boredom horizon" if the 'game' is just more of the same.

Assuming that the cost in 'treasure' is not taxing, the massive amounts of time necessary to "stay in the game" compete with "real life".
"Real life" has that talent, that knack, of grabbing us by our metiphorical or actual external 'sexual' manifestations and twisting our attention back to our local here and nows.

A game, any entertainment, that can be put on hold so we can take 'care of business' will have a critical selling edge with many of us.

And I thank you all for 'showing up" and reading my script, for there must be something REAL-ly important that we could be watching on TV right now.

4too
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

God damn it I love you, 4too.

Other than whatever the hell "MFG" is, I agree.

Edit: gaypile on 4too :pelvic_thrust:
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

jetbaby wrote:Other than whatever the hell "MFG" is, I agree.
Mandalorian Fallout God
He's not over-kryptik you know
Our Host!