Where's That Confounded Bridge?!

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Where's That Confounded Bridge?!

Post by OnTheBounce »

Okay, I spent over an hour trying to make the Extendable Bridge work. I had dorked around w/this before, but wasn't sure I'd tried everything. Now I'm sure I've tried everything and I'm at a loss/stumped.

Setting the bridge up as an actor w/the race set to Object doesn't work.

Setting it up as State Scenery doesn't work.

Scenery? Nope.

Door? Nope.

Etc., etc.

If someone can get this to work it'd be great.

On a little sidenote: I discovered some sprites last night that I'd never noticed. Namely, there are robotic versions for a reactor, a generator, and a wall computer (not the standard console, this is different). There is also a sprite for a "Robot Docking Station", along w/a sound that it can make. Some of these things might come in handy for a mission I've been putting off mapping simply because I wasn't sure of what tiles and entities to use... :twisted:

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

It seems like scenery would be the most probable. Unless they had an entity type specifically for this bridge and cut it out of the game for one reason or another.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Damn... I was hoping the thing would work...

Does anyone know if an actor can "walk" on another entity? If so, couldn't JJ86 (with his m4d sprite skillz) make a new scenery entity, and simply use triggers to activate/deactivate it?

Only problem with that is if someone/thing is on the bridge when it deactivates...

"No it's nooooooooooooooo" *SPLAT*
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:Damn... I was hoping the thing would work...
So was I.

So was my hair...
Max-Violence wrote:Does anyone know if an actor can "walk" on another entity? If so, couldn't JJ86 (with his m4d sprite skillz) make a new scenery entity, and simply use triggers to activate/deactivate it?
The funny thing is that you can walk on the bridge, even when it's deactivated and there are no tiles beneath it. While you can't place your movement cursor directly on top of it and then move onto it, you can click on a space on the other side of it, then hit backspace and stop on it. It's very braziere.
Max-Violence wrote:Only problem with that is if someone/thing is on the bridge when it deactivates...
Funny thing I discovered recently is that can ramp vehicles off of the side of elevations. This should have come as no surprise since I have known for a long time that the ravines/rivers in St. Louis could be crossed w/the APC. However, I had various vehicles hurdling off of the side of a cliff, which was 24 elevations higher than the ground at the bottom. The vehicles weren't damaged, either. Whatever you do, don't have someone do this when you have the camera boundaries set wider than your tiles. Apparently there is no limit to how far you can fall... ("Are you sure you want to quit?" "Um, yeah...")
Max-Violence wrote:"No it's nooooooooooooooo" *SPLAT*
*hehe* I'm glad you liked that. :D

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote: The funny thing is that you can walk on the bridge, even when it's deactivated and there are no tiles beneath it. While you can't place your movement cursor directly on top of it and then move onto it, you can click on a space on the other side of it, then hit backspace and stop on it. It's very braziere.
Bummer.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

How did the bridge work in the last mission? You never really got to it while it was deactivated, right?

The only thing I can think of to do is to have doors that would correspond with the bridge...

hehe, yah i noticed those sprites, too. i've been wanting to use the monitor with the red screen, but haven't found a really good use for it.
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

Red

Post by Red »

The only map I did was the cave entrance to vault13, however I added a special "sniper post" which came from the cave closest to the side of the mountain/hill/whatever. Now in FO:T you need to make everything a bit larger as to accomodate the lack of the FO1/2 "invisible halow" feature, and one of the plans of the map was to use the cave on the east as a garage, so I added in a car to test that out - only to realize that the car could easlyly simply drive up my sniper ramp and jump off! Great fun... except when I went too fast and fell out of my map :)

I learned a lot about editing, however I mostly learned of the limitations of the occlusion calculations, and unless I respected the "normal" dimentions of it's design peices would simply dissapear which shouldn't of, and other peices stayed even though they should have dissapeared. It was quite frustrating, and making my cave respect the dimentions made it look like ass.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Re: Where's That Confounded Bridge?!

Post by Flamescreen »

OnTheBounce wrote: On a little sidenote: I discovered some sprites last night that I'd never noticed. Namely, there are robotic versions for a reactor, a generator, and a wall computer (not the standard console, this is different). There is also a sprite for a "Robot Docking Station", along w/a sound that it can make.
What's the location of these sprites? I wasn't able to find them...
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Red wrote:The only map I did was the cave entrance to vault13, however I added a special "sniper post" which came from the cave closest to the side of the mountain/hill/whatever. Now in FO:T you need to make everything a bit larger as to accomodate the lack of the FO1/2 "invisible halow" feature, and one of the plans of the map was to use the cave on the east as a garage, so I added in a car to test that out - only to realize that the car could easlyly simply drive up my sniper ramp and jump off! Great fun... except when I went too fast and fell out of my map :)
I've been spending a lot of time re-creating FO and FO2 maps in FoT tiles and I have to say that you really can do a decent job of it. I've gotten away from expanding areas due to the lack of the "sighting bubble", though. Basically, I try to areas scaled to the other rooms, and if it makes for only a little bit of viewable room in a corridor I don't worry about it, unless I'm looking at placing enemies there or something that the player needs to see.

Flamescreen: The sprites are located at the following address:

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\sprites\items\mission specific\Mission21

Cheers,

OTB
Red

Post by Red »

Yeah... I'm kinda saddened by my loss of my v13 map... it was pretty damn good... There's nothing like the white-ish buildings though...
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Which utility did you use to see them? I was only able to see the monitors with Spray, none of the others(also used Redviewer, red Bosviewer, and even the entity editor)
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Flamescreen wrote:Which utility did you use to see them? I was only able to see the monitors with Spray, none of the others(also used Redviewer, red Bosviewer, and even the entity editor)
I used my Mystic Third Eye. [j/k]

Actually, I just used the Entity Editor. As usual I had to enter the path to the image a couple times before the sprites would display, though.

OTB
Red

Post by Red »

Flamescreen wrote:Which utility did you use to see them? I was only able to see the monitors with Spray, none of the others(also used Redviewer, red Bosviewer, and even the entity editor)
Hey! I need to tile/sprite if it's buged...
Our Host!