Is there hope for the video game industry?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Is there hope for the video game industry?

Post by Radoteur »

http://www.forbes.com/business/newswire ... 13656.html

You guys probably already plenty about how the video game industry are a bunch of wimps, but at least one man thinks there's still hope.
Despite the proliferation of sequels and licensed games, Pac-man creator Iwatani said that he had seen this happen before during his 20 year-career, and that new and revolutionary new games appear in a two- to three-year cycle.

"It's difficult right now but I expect to see a recovery in a couple years," Iwatani said.
Mailbox Man!
Yar.
Canis Lupus
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Canis Lupus »

He's basing it on the experience he had in his career - he was the creator of Pac Man, so did his career end ages ago? If so, then his views aren't too accurate in this day and age. But then, some things apparently don't change. Much.

Oh, I notice that a copy of Pac Man: Adventures in time came to me in a packet of Rice Bubble bars - unless most developers release their games in snack boxes, I guess his career is pretty much over.
Trakocian
Respected
Respected

Post by Trakocian »

Blah, blah, blah.
Markets rise and fall, as well as most everything else. There are low times in every market (anyone remember Atari 5200?) and there will be high points. Deal with it.
Just a thought....
Windows XP:
Yet another example of how pussies get screwed.

One by one, the penguins steal my sanity

Duck and Cover - Where a thread full of idiots posting the same fucking smile over and over again is considered the cutting edge of hilarity.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Bleh, I'm still waiting until someone makes a decent space combat sim. A Freespace 3 would be nice....a Freespace 2 where I didn't get outbidded for the 50th fucking time would be great too.

Most games are bored as dog shit these days. And alot of "revolutionary" titles aren't that great either.
Bleusilences
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bleusilences »

videogame m,arket it's like everything else in life, it got it's and low, and most of the market is shit.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Trakocian wrote: (anyone remember Atari 5200?)
Isn't that when the video game market crashed? Back then everybody was jumping onto the game bandwagon. The same shit is happening today. We got Warner, Fox, Kellogs, all these assholes with no business in the market getting involved. It looks like a gold mine now, but so did that E-business shit a few years ago.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Like Bleusilences wrote, everything has it's ups and downs... I doubt gaming will become "distinct" just yet though. Platforms and methos change, that's all.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Give it a few years. When everyone has bankrupted their gaming department and we are left with a small core of developers with devoted fanbases (see INTERPLAY, though they got screwed out of that race), or the market shifts on to the next "big" thing, maybe we'll start seing Barbie brand bread products? Hell if I know. We'll see where the game industry stands in a few years. Every industry is a rollercoaster, there are ups and downs, we just have to wait them out.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Bleusilences
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bleusilences »

for now I think we are going trough a up.
Our Host!