The End Is Nigh!

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

chut up

i think video games suck because there are far better ways to waste your time, ie: girls & drugs
bey.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

iohkus wrote:chut up

i think video games suck because there are far better ways to waste your time, ie: girls & drugs
And maybe watching Donnie Darko?

In any case, this article is quite correct about the gaming industry except on one point: most people don’t get bored of playing the same shit over and over, as long as the sequel has more tits, guns, and blood.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

i like donnie darko... the evil bunny has visited me many times since i've seen that movie :(
bey.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I had a dream about donnie darko, but it was actually about a dead body wrapped in masking tape and used for his art project. OMG THE HORROR.

Games suck a bit. They'll probably be as dead as disco in a few years. Good article. Good site. Just Cola.
:chew:
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Even if video games "end," something will replace them. Things don't just cease to exist, they are always replaced by something else... unless of course, it stops existing because it is so pointless or idiotic that no one cares.

The bunny's name is Frank, and he isn't evil.

Post by Guest »

Interesting article. He had some good points, solid facts, and kept me reading right till the end.

Unfortunately, he's completely, utterly, embarrasingly wrong. On every level.

Video games aren't going to die. They've been popular, solidly, since the early '80s. We keep thinking that we've seen the best, as good as it'll get, and time and again we're proven wrong. Metroid was once state-of-the-art. Tomb Raider was once state-of-the-art. Halo 2 is now state of the art, but it'll be obsolete 5 years from now. Hell, more like 3. The point is, the industry will continue to evolve, because I'm sorry - games are just too popular to die, no matter what generation of consumers we're talking about.

Athough I will agree with this:
Monsieur Doomsday wrote:What I am not looking forward to is an era when it will be presumed that all gamers have broadband connections, thus giving the video game industry the same "we can always release a patch later" quality control that has crippled the PC gaming industry.
Too true. One of the biggest draws for consoles, at least from my perspective, is that you can just pop the disc in and play. No system requirements to think about, no worrying about processor speeds or hardware components or video cards. This is why I hate PC gaming, despite the many excellent titles available.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

It's not really evolving though. Just getting a little prettier. There's a few innovative games but they usually suck.

/me wails on guitar

Post by Guest »

True, but keep in mind the relation between technology and innovation. 10 years ago, Vice City simply wouldn't have been possible. Same with all the MMORPGs and online fragfests like Counter-Strike.

And there are original games out there - it's just that very few are as popular as the tried-and-true models.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

You sort of bring up an intresting point by comparing counter-strike to vice city. A mod for a 5 year old game is still more popular than a lot of current games being released.

And there are original games, though it's a lot easier to find them in the past than it is to find them in the future. Games released then were totally original, though a bit short. A little similair to a few flash games now. Games being released now on the other hand are the same as last time with different graphics and one or two intresting features.

The industry has become to obsessed with money. Consoles didn't help it much either.

Games won't die, they've just become too saturated with trying to be trendy or cool. "This time period is looked at as being full of lazy, self-centered, civically ignorant sheep."
Grey Fil
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Grey Fil »

The babilonians played games, the romans payed games, your momma played games. Gaming is a part of human nature. The kind of games is dependant on what technology and culture whe live in but games will exist as long as there are humans. What kind of games will be played in the future is depent on how things evolve. Video games are a big part of the modern day culture and will not be abandoned soon. I think that they are now only in their infancy. Marvelous things are still to come.
Carpe jugulum.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Subhuman wrote:Tomb Raider was once state-of-the-art.
Tomb Raider was once considered state of the art? I miss something? As far as I know, most people bought it because they heard there was a nude code.
Halo 2 is now state of the art
Shouldn't we wait until it comes out before we call it "State of the art", really now, just because something has "Pretty" graphics doesn't make it state of the art. I think a good majority of people on this forum thought that the original Halo wasn't exactly "State of the art" and the sequal is probably more of the same.

Other then your examples, Agreed.
Harriers for the cup.

Post by Guest »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Tomb Raider was once considered state of the art? I miss something? As far as I know, most people bought it because they heard there was a nude code.
Being the first fully-3D adventure game, yeah, it was state of the art. I was just using Halo 2 as an example of a next-gen game.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

That article is dead on. Most of it is pretty obvious to anyone older than 20. Even the way he phrases his questions are pretty damn accurate

"Oh, yeah? Just wait for the PS3, Captain Anus. It's got a special IBM super processor that's gonna RULE, dick holster."

People used to say the same shit in the late 80's-early 90's. I don't believe the industry will be completely obliterated, but it will scale back significantly. And in a few years we'll be right back in this same position.
Bleusilences
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bleusilences »

Ho shit, I just read the article and I said prretty much the same thing, so either that i am not that crazy or both me and the author are crazies.
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

The past few years have been bad, but this year is kinda getting better. It'll probably pick up a bit then go into a 2002/2003-ish crash again.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I'm ready for the X-Chip to come out...Implanted directly into my eye-lid. It'll be able to download games miles from any service providers, play it in true 48-bit color right into your retina. With a simple wire leading from your eye to a friend's eye, you can play multi-player.

It'll start your car on cold winter mornings.

Just plug the wire from your Windows-Chip in your other eye-lid, and print files through the Microsoft Tongue Printer.

The X-Chip will automatically send signals to your brain to ease hunger pains while playing a game that takes up the full frontal lobe for days of non-stop entertainment.

And with a mod-chip, the X-Chip will be able to induce orgasm instantly anytime you vaguely think of a female nude.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Subhuman wrote:
Wolfman Walt wrote:Tomb Raider was once considered state of the art? I miss something? As far as I know, most people bought it because they heard there was a nude code.
Being the first fully-3D adventure game, yeah, it was state of the art. I was just using Halo 2 as an example of a next-gen game.
as the article said, video games have leveled out. they can only make the AI slightly better and the graphics slightly shinier. its all they can do. you can only get something so close to reality. i think the gaming industry will end up like the comic book industry. booms for a little while then dies into hardcore fanaticism.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Grey Fil
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Grey Fil »

Until the next giant step comes along. In the meantime they could begin working on the gameplay.
Carpe jugulum.
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by 4too »

Just Because ...

Wooff'mon Walt intoned:
... just because something has "Pretty" graphics doesn't make it state of the art. ...
Being ""Pretty"" has always been, and will always be part of the "packaging", ... 'art'.
The glowing aura emitted from the box "art", evokes the enzines that inspires migration to the shelf space.

Just because it's ON the box, doesn't mean it's IN the box. Doesn't mean it's IN the game.

Your, (and our) ""Pretty"" here applies to the graphics that grace the engine, and the state of this art is slanted for saccharine mirage water sensations and FU's pinnacle of sensory 'affectations', ... the ""cool particle"'.

Just because 'it' clothes the 3D wire forms and consumes most of the silicone cycles doesn't mean 'it's' in the game.

The state of this art will always cling to the new-est and shini-est, for this art is the art of the sales pitch, the iconic magic of the carn'y barker wooing us rubes to ""step right up"".

Is the "hook": the bullet time, the buxom babes, the bodacious blood:
is the "hook" our game? The "hook" is the game of the game sellers, and if it was our indulgence than we would all own a piece of the public stock.

Maybe it's a zen perception th'A'ng. Do we buy the Cracker Jacks for the caramel corn and peanuts, OR did we REALLY want the 'free' PRIZE. Not quite of "chicken or egg" priority, still it does enforce a pause in THIS rambling.

Outside of graphic precision to make it easier to sort out this clutter of
"beauty", what does the "hook" contribute to the actual game? (The checkers, the chess, the scissors cuts paper that's tank rushed by the rocks ...!) It may not be the meat (or tofu for you vegians) or the potatoes (or pork rhynes for you Atckians) of the game, but it may be more than salt, pepper, and PARSLEY for this paid for presentation.

I am maneuvering to the content of these artifice productions. Does the content supply a means to an end, and does this end justify our individual ethics relating to the time and treasure invested to this end?

Does the end justify the means?

If this is garbage in, garbage out, then we can all applaud the fireworks and go home. The game can stay on the shelf, until it's bargain bait or another archeological layer in the Atari Landfill. Food for thought and gradute thesius foder for future soft science pontificators seeking the holy state of "tenure".

If there is a substantial drama to fire our intentions, and a significant involvement of both sides of our brains in skulling out a winning strategy, then we might take the "b'tch/b'strd" home to introduce to the "she/he/it" folks.

I allege that any production that can include a game that stands the test of ... what, ...time ... replay, might I suggest as example the FO Saga, that game might be out side THE BOX of repackaged trend cloning, and the current state of "Pretty" computer graphics. That game might be a broadfront marketing advance that exploits the broadband spectrum of entertainment tastes.

Just because it's what all the other "smart money" are doing, doesn't make it a game that will sell, sell well, and build a following for the next round of
... marketing.

The gaming demographic has broadened in age span as it has broadened in waistline, the "new math" of stretch, or full cut 36's means a 38 on the horizon, the tide of many hairlines will never cover that competitive cranial dome. And many are as easily BORED as we were once hooked by these "Pretty" graphics. We have a jaded sense of what's IN THE BOX to never have to go there for mere "Pretty" graphics, much less upgrade our hardware to get the eye candy to shake, shimmy, bump, and grind, for our temporal appetites.

4too
Our Host!