Deliberately Clashing Tiles

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Deliberately Clashing Tiles

Post by Stevie D »

Say I want to have a barrel floating half in and out of water. I could use a normal barrel tile with normal water tiles, place the barrel so its top half is above the surface of the water and the bottom half below it. But then the tiles would be flashing red within the editor because they shared the same space at the points they met.

Question is: Is this a problem? Other than looking a bit odd and flashing red in the editor, do clashing tiles cause technical problems in game?
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

I don't think so... I have a mission map which hold several colliding tiles that are marked red... so far I haven't had any problems playing it or editing it.

Greetz
bertgoldstein
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by bertgoldstein »

A lot of them will make the game less reliable and prone to crashes. I know when someone went through and re-edited the original maps with that came with the game it crashed less.

I don't think one or two would be a big problem though.
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

bertgoldstein wrote:I know when someone went through and re-edited the original maps with that came with the game it crashed less.
I don't know... Is it just me or is this just plain simple 'bad english' ? I don't understand what he's saying :bored:

Greetz
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah, bad english but we'll let it slide :D There are plenty people that are obviously not native english speakers. There was someone from the Interplay boards that went through all the maps and fixed the areas where there were overlapping tiles.

The other problem I have seen where you have a tile that intersects another tile is that the clipping changes as you move around the object. It looks funny.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

The other problem I have seen where you have a tile that intersects another tile is that the clipping changes as you move around the object. It looks funny.
Roger that. I'll give them a miss, then, if I can avoid it. Can't say I'll miss not being able to use clashing tiles, but if there was the option, I'd like to know I could use it without fear of anything going wrong. Thanks for passing on the news, gents.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

You could create a custom tile that looks like a barrel floating in water. Some simple cut-n-paste action should do the trick.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Our Host!