Goodbye Sam and Max

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Goodbye Sam and Max

Post by Role-Player »

LucasArts cans the dog and rabbit duo's planned return to the PC.
Gamespot wrote:Sad news came today for fans of the 1993 PC game Sam & Max Hit the Road. LucasArts has canceled its PC sequel, Sam & Max Freelance Police, only a few months before its planned spring 2004 release.

"After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC" said Mike Nelson, acting general manager and VP of finance and operations at LucasArts, in a brief release. The release also revealed that LucasArts will not let any staff go as a result of the cancellation of the game, which was being internally developed.

Despite significant interest, Sam & Max Freelance Police had been shrouded in mystery since it was originally announced in August of 2002. All that was known was that it would be 3D and that it would continue its titular dog and rabbit heroes' adventures. At the time, LucasArts seemed enthusiastic about the project. "Sam & Max Hit the Road is a classic and [is] as close to being a signature game as any LucasArts has ever done," said the company's then-president Simon Jeffery.
IGN wrote:March 03, 2004 - Sad news for adventure fans today: LucasArts has decided to stop production of the upcoming adventure title Sam and Max. Mike Nelson, acting general manager and VP of finance and operations at LucasArts explains it this way:

"After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC."

No jobs will be eliminated as a result of this decision. We'll have more information as soon as we can get it.
[Sources: Gamespot article and IGN article]

Cancelling Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels, and now Sam and Max's sequel, quite possibly in favour of more Star Wars games makes me wretch in disgust.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

As it's quoted: traditional adventure games don't seem to sell these days. Join the USCP if it bothers you.

And by the way - maybe you could've put this into the Submit News section?
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

OMG...FUCK!!!

This sucks.
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

Kashluk wrote:As it's quoted: traditional adventure games don't seem to sell these days.
I disagree with this. They may not have sales figures like those of Star Wars, but they sell.
And by the way - maybe you could've put this into the Submit News section?
Unless Sam and Max have become PA, i don't see a reason it would interest the Fallout community.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I'm fairly certain George Lucas needs to be taken into someones back yard and shot. Although I doubt that this is directly his fault, I'de still like to attribute it to him.
Harriers for the cup.
Tayl
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Tayl »

Bleh. I was looking forward to that.

That'll teach me to get excited about something.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Blah, you could see it coming.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Yeah, Ray probably is the leading authority on cancelling games.

Anyhow, this totally sucks. The FT sequel looked like ass and was apparently leaning that way, so it got canned. This one, however, could have been pretty damn slick.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Sebastian
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Sebastian »

WHAT??? They canceled Full Throttle? FUCK!
Sebastian of the Wastes
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Poor Sam. Poor Max.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Yeah, Ray probably is the leading authority on cancelling games.
Sometimes I just don’t understand you guys. I gave you guys new screenshots every month but some how I end up the vapourware king, then I cancel one game and now I’m as bad as chuck. Seriously what the fuck? I think all that cum your dads been pumping in your ass has gone to your brain spaz.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Cancel one game? Well how many games have you finished? Eh? Eh?
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

How long does it take finish a game while working on a mod and while preparing for your GCSEs? Eh? Eh?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

A mod!? Can't wait for the finished product! :drunk:
Someone's avoiding the question eh eh eh?

Pity bout S&M though - not one of my favourite games (some of the puzzles were even too wacky for me), still wouldn't mind a brand spankin new adventure game. but you know how it is: games without real-time combat w/ pause don't sell.
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

Well at least this way, there is no possibility of them butchering the series like Jedi Knight Academy. Still sucks that people favor idiotic console ports(Halo...) over interesting ones. Lately, those Xbox/PS2 PC ports are the shit.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
KruddMan
Respected
Respected

Post by KruddMan »

there goes christmas
Our Host!