SLAVERY ALIVE AND WELL IN FL, NY AND TX*

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

SLAVERY ALIVE AND WELL IN FL, NY AND TX*

Post by Killzig »

*according to this article from newsday

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld ... -headlines
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Modern-day slavery is alive and well in Florida, the head of a human rights center said Tuesday as it released a report on people forced to work as prostitutes, farmworkers and maids across the state.

Human traffickers bring thousands of people into the United States each year and Florida is believed to be one of the top three destinations, along with New York and Texas, according to the Center for the Advancement of Human Rights at Florida State University.

Although there have been several prosecutions of human trafficking in Florida, no one knows how many people in Florida are under the control of traffickers, said Terry Coonan, the center's executive director.

In south Florida, federal prosecutions have indicated hundreds of farmworkers were victims of human trafficking, and a forced prostitution ring identified as many as 40 young women and girls brought from Mexico. The center also cited a case of "domestic servitude" in southwest Florida.

But the problem is not limited to those areas or those industries, according to Robin Thompson, director of the research project.

"All you have to do is look where cheap labor is required and where there is a potential for labor exploitation, which pretty much can put you anywhere in our state," Thompson said.

The center organized a "working group" of advocates and law enforcement officials to study the issue. The project was funded by a federal grant under a 2000 law designed to increase protections for victims of human trafficking.

The center's report emphasized that not all victims of human trafficking are illegal immigrants. Many enter the United States legally but because of their poverty or inability to speak English are exploited by traffickers.

And some victims are Americans, Thompson said, pointing to the homeless, addicted and runaways as potential victims for traffickers.

"The greater the awareness, the more likely these cases will be reported and prosecuted," Coonan told reporters. "This is almost an invisible crime because the victims are kept out of the public eye. We need to crack this code of silence."
DISCUSS!
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Nothing new under the sun.
DISCUSSION ENDS!

Seriously, who came up with this "I COMMAND YOU"-stuff?
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Haha, god damn, I love capitalism.

In all seriousness, what else would we do with the homeless, runaways, addicts, and illegal immigrants? Yeah, the legal immigrants getting enslaved is a bummer, but I harbour little pity for the aforementioned groups.
fuck
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

One does not necessarily become homeless either because of his own choice, remember that.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

being a slave wouldn't be too bad. It would be sexy B)
:chew:
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Kashluk wrote:One does not necessarily become homeless either because of his own choice, remember that.
True, but they don't contribute much, if at all, to society when they're homeless.
fuck
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well neither (necessarily) do legal immigrants.
And often time homeless don't *require* anything from the society either.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Kashluk wrote:Seriously, who came up with this "I COMMAND YOU"-stuff?
Indo-Europeans

Apparently the idea of personal commands are quasi-exclusive to those languages. It struck me as funny when I started learning german, that the command was the easiest structure to form in the language.

Bizzaro.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

... doesn't English count for Indo-European as well? And Finnish? And Russian??
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

sad thing is - most of the people who bring the hispanics into the country as slave-wagers - are other hispanics.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

What's wrong, we give em a life and utility.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

s4ur0n27 wrote:What's wrong, we give em a life and utility.
good point, it's like with killing
What's wrong with it ? Everybody's got their reasons ?
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Thor Kaufman wrote:good point, it's like with killing
Last I checked, treating people like property was "NOT COOL." The problem with killing someone is that it means you feel someone's life is less important than others/your own.
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Kashluk wrote:... doesn't English count for Indo-European as well? And Finnish? And Russian??
Yeap. The only things that don't count are like Native American, Asian languages, tribal stuff. Thing is, commands are entirely different in those. Instead of being able to literally tell someone "do this" you ask them nicely, as a rule. Even though indo-european languages are the majority in the world, the idea of a straight command is kinda unique to them.
Last edited by SuperH on Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

The Gaijin wrote:
Thor Kaufman wrote:good point, it's like with killing
Last I checked, treating people like property was "NOT COOL." The problem with killing someone is that it means you feel someone's life is less important than others/your own.
Well, since you take the replies seriously (or not, however) I am going to try answering somehow seriously. :chew:

sauron stated that treating people as property was no bad thing since they get "a life and utility." Nothing about coolness, just cynicism, though you might suppose, he finds it cool, hence is an angsty teen, or something, heh.

As for killing and that everyone got its reasons for doing it would just mean killing on purpose.
And what's wrong with the assumption, that other people are "lowlives", you could as well say, that self confidence or egoism (/stronger: egocentrism) is a bad thing, although this centers on the person and not the "outer view" on people directly.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Thor Kaufman wrote: sauron stated that treating people as property was no bad thing since they get "a life and utility." Nothing about coolness, just cynicism, though you might suppose, he finds it cool, hence is an angsty teen, or something, heh.
sauron being an angsty teen isnt an issue here. we know he is an angsty teen working for a corrupt social institution known as the quebec government.

anyways, being a slave wouldnt be cool or l33t or sexy. but people with lower intellegance levels from lower developed countries want a place in our country. so let them make nikes and pick food for us. i dont care if they only make 3 cents an hour, i need basic level goods and the majority of people are too educated to do it.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

The problem is, wheter this action is of free will or not.
Too often people who work "for 3 cents an hour" are not allowed to found labor unions, demand for raises or ask for any human rights at all.
Nobody wants to be a slave and no one ever should have to suffer that kind of treatment. Low-wage work is a completely other deal if you've got the basic rights as a worker.
Bleusilences
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bleusilences »

Slavery always existed, just take prostitution. Most of the girl will say to you she love her job but she is alway under narcotic. Narcotic like, i.e, cocaine and extacy afre often use as a metode of control. Usualy it goes this way. A gang go into a bar spot a girl, take her outside, rape her and force her to take drug. So is it slavery yes my friend. So slavery isn't only on the outside and concerne every "race". And btw it can go the other way too.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Kashluk wrote:The problem is, wheter this action is of free will or not.
Too often people who work "for 3 cents an hour" are not allowed to found labor unions, demand for raises or ask for any human rights at all.
Nobody wants to be a slave and no one ever should have to suffer that kind of treatment. Low-wage work is a completely other deal if you've got the basic rights as a worker.
i couldnt care less if they got human rights or not. make my damn food, peddle wheels for electricity, and pick the vegetables for food. i think if illegal immigrants come over and are caught, they should be put to hard/slave labour so we can benifit from their stupidity.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Bleusilences
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bleusilences »

It's really a hard issue there, with illigal immigrant, they are human being so they have the chard of right and liberty to protect them. Should they be send back to the hell they come from or should we shelter them so they will most likely go into other province or even the U.S? Or let even worst, let them make their own getto isolated of social interaction with other rcae in people, making an ideal place for devlopping street gang and corruption? But some of them work really hard, study and are useful for the community. :confused2:
Our Host!