F.E.V. Contagious?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

F.E.V. Contagious?

Post by Ernesto »

I've never really thought about it, but could F.E.V. be passed like a STD?

I'm no PHD but this is my logic: Marcus screws a hooker and shoots blanks. Wouldn't the genetic information within his blood/blank sperm/other bodily fluids be infected? Thus when blood meets blood, the F.E.V is transfered over to other host and starts multiplying?

It is my understanding that F.E.V. in it's all forms is not contagious. I assume people can confirmed this?
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

FEV is obviously contagious in some form. Would it be passed on through seminal fluid? Likely, I would say, as it rewrites the genetic code, so it would be stored in the genetic code passed on in the act of sex.

Unless, of course, it loses it's contagenious ability after a certain amount of time. But I doubt it.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

If you need to completely submerge someone to get the effect of becoming a supermutant, would that small an amount even do anything if it were contagious?
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Probably wouldn't turn them into a mutant.

They might end up like Harold, however.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Didn't Enclave slaves turn into Super Mutants by inhaling very small particles of F.E.V. when they were at the Military Base?
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

I recall the miners, but I'm not sure how much FEV was present. If all it takes is a little, why the dipping?
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

1. No.

2. No.

3. Oh wait, you're talking about the Millitary base. Needless to say, the amount of FEv in the air would not be very small.

4. No.

5. A guy in the Millitary base could summon deathclaws. So I disregard that part of the game not knowing wether it was meant to be a gag or not, in addition, it's lack of important items or stories causes me to forget it.

6. No.

7. They were constantly exposed to it under fatiguing conditions, which lowered their immunity drastically.

8. No.

9. No.

10. In summation, yes, you are right. If we are to take that as kosher in the FO timelininity.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

FEV as an STD. I'd say you'd need a large amount of dosage to effect it via that way. Keep in mind super mutants could also be sterile due to an increased metabolism increasing their body heat and thus killing the sperm. Although that wouldn't account for the female's also being sterile.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

No. It cannot be spread in any way person-to-person. You need a MASSIVE dosage (hence Saint_Proverbius' sig of "a dip'll do ya and a picture of the Master's vats.). The FEV in the air on the Enclave base was a mutated version meant to kill, which it did (the Enclave wanted to wipe out the freaks and muties that coated the U.S. mainland for their great recclamation).
Last edited by jetbaby on Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

It takes little over a long amount of time. Many of the people of the wasteland have been exposed to FEV and radiation for most of their lives, and it comes to a point when the virus would probably take effect.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Check the bible before screaming out silly things, jetbaby:
- FEV (Forced Evolutionary Virus) explains the more grievous mutations in the wasteland (the Master, the Master's pets such as the floaters and centaurs, super mutants, Harold),
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Edit: I was thinking of Set. Harold is a super mutant of some sort. He was one of the ones that broke into the Military base with the group that got wiped out and the man that became the master. However, the ghouls (i.e. Set) are not created by FEV.

And why isn't Set on the "Best President" poll?

Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Because he sucks. He's like Bush and we want that guy out.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

How could you not love that cute and adorable little ghoul?

Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

jetbaby wrote:And why isn't Set on the "Best President" poll?
I agree.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

jetbaby wrote:The FEV in the air on the Enclave base was a mutated version meant to kill, which it did (the Enclave wanted to wipe out the freaks and muties that coated the U.S. mainland for their great recclamation).
The Enclave went to the Military Base in order to get a sample of F.E.V. The Chemical Corps made it lethal. That's what I remember.
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

The Enclave went to the Military Base in order to get a sample of F.E.V. The Chemical Corps made it lethal. That's what I remember.
Indeed. The FEV the miners sucked back was normal FEV, just in superlage quantities.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Mr. Green wrote:
jetbaby wrote:The FEV in the air on the Enclave base was a mutated version meant to kill, which it did (the Enclave wanted to wipe out the freaks and muties that coated the U.S. mainland for their great recclamation).
That's what I'm saying. The Enclave went to the Military Base to collect the F.E.V. from the Master's former stronghold. They then took it back to the Enclave Base (the oilrig) and mutated (the Chemical Corps of the Enclave) it to kill off their enemies. However, if you are a supreme speaker and a science freak you can release it early... namely on the oilrig. The president goes down without a fight.

Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Okay, I feel stupid.

I need to play more Fallout.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

It's always good to play through again. There is always something that you missed.

Our Host!