Free and legal old computer game downloads?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Apocalypse 2077
Regular
Regular

Free and legal old computer game downloads?

Post by Apocalypse 2077 »

Hi,

In the past I have had topics similar to this closed because of there :censored: content. So let me make it clear. I want a LEGAL download site for old games which you can't get anymore, at least not easily. In particularly I am looking for Wing Commander IV. Now this topic shouldn't be close because I've asked for a LEGAL site... if you know of a questionable site then please e-mail me it or private message me, since it is against forum regulations to mention illegal sites.

(I really am trying to abide by the forum rules... but I really would like to play Wing Commander IV and various other old games which I can't find in the shops or at amazon.co.uk)

Also, if anyone can find a working, user friendly, up to date site where I could simply buy Wing Commander IV and various other old games like Quake II, Duke Nukem 3D, e.t.c... then please feel free to mention that site. I only ask because I can't find it, if it's out there.

Thanks again...

Apoc
After Y2K the end of the world became a cliche... there are now only personal apocalypses... - Max Payne

I love the smell of napalm in the morning! - Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore, Apocalypse now
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Try googling it or maybe on Ebay?
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Re: Free and [i]legal[/i] old computer game downloads?

Post by LlamaGod »

Apocalypse 2077 wrote:Hi,
Also, if anyone can find a working, user friendly up to date site where I could simply buy Wing Commander IV and various other old games like Quake II, Duke Nukem 3D, e.t.c please feel free to mention that site. I only ask because I can't find it, if it's out there.
http://www.ebay.com
http://www.idsoftware.com
http://www.3drealms.com

As for 'legal' sites for other games, you just have to poke through them. Learn what games have been announced as 'free', like System Shock 1 and GTA2.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: Free and [i]legal[/i] old computer game downloads?

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

LlamaGod wrote:
Apocalypse 2077 wrote:Hi,
Also, if anyone can find a working, user friendly up to date site where I could simply buy Wing Commander IV and various other old games like Quake II, Duke Nukem 3D, e.t.c please feel free to mention that site. I only ask because I can't find it, if it's out there.
http://www.ebay.com
http://www.idsoftware.com
http://www.3drealms.com

As for 'legal' sites for other games, you just have to poke through them. Learn what games have been announced as 'free', like System Shock 1 and GTA2.
where can you get the first system shock from?
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

try www.the-underdogs.org for abandonware games, if the games aren't actually there for download, there is a link to the company who sells the game
Hertston
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hertston »

Yeah, the Underdogs is a terrific site.

As Thor said, there's usually a link to buy if a game isn't available for download. That's very useful, as you'll often find the only place selling a particular game is fairly obscure, and you would never have found it otherwise.

It can also be bloody annoying on occasion if they don't have it any more.. or won't ship to where you are.
Apocalypse 2077
Regular
Regular

Fantastic!

Post by Apocalypse 2077 »

Cheers Thor!
After Y2K the end of the world became a cliche... there are now only personal apocalypses... - Max Payne

I love the smell of napalm in the morning! - Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore, Apocalypse now
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

I guess that Apogee is no more.... damn they made a ton of great games.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Apogee = 3drealms
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

I was actually able to by Crusader: No Remorse from CD Access a while back. That place is a pretty good location to find some old games, and buying them is usually a better idea than downloading them- Downloads usually leave out movies, sounds, music and even graphics and textures. Stick with buying the old ones, and download only if that's your only choice.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I found this site today courtesy of Thingsmagazine.

Rebelstar Classic Games Remakes

The Christian version of Elite sounds rad, I think you must trade bibles or something and convert the heathen on other planets?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Fantastic!

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Apocalypse 2077 wrote:Cheers Thor!
pas de probleme

@Valdis about that crusader thingy, I got that game a while ago, but wasn't able to figure out a decent config file to start it. Guess I am not 1337 enough, or something, heard that game fucks with the cd-drive, too ?

Any hints on what I have to do to get it started ?
My system is like an old pentium 2 on an lx board, I have a Win9x partition, soundcard is some onboardchip that can emulate Soundblaster or those Roland cards, if I am informed correctly.

edit: I tried out this emulator VDMS for Win2000, too, but it won't work for this game in particular ?
Myrrdin
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Myrrdin »

Crusader is actually listed as compatible with Dosbox, probably *the* best thing to make oldies run on new machines.
Organized religion is the first thing that will be put up against the wall and shot when the revolution comes.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

It does!

Great I've been wanting to play that game for awhile.

Damn shitty XP.
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

Thor Kaufman wrote:
Apocalypse 2077 wrote:Cheers Thor!
pas de probleme

@Valdis about that crusader thingy, I got that game a while ago, but wasn't able to figure out a decent config file to start it. Guess I am not 1337 enough, or something, heard that game fucks with the cd-drive, too ?

Any hints on what I have to do to get it started ?
My system is like an old pentium 2 on an lx board, I have a Win9x partition, soundcard is some onboardchip that can emulate Soundblaster or those Roland cards, if I am informed correctly.

edit: I tried out this emulator VDMS for Win2000, too, but it won't work for this game in particular ?
I think it has something to do with EMS memory or something similar. Either you have so much memory that the game thinks you don't have any (keep in mind that in 1995, 300 megs of RAM was still a distant dream). It works fine on Win98, so yeah.

I recomend the second game in the Crusader series, No Regret. It's a better overall game, and is available for download at The Underdogs for free.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

mahaha i finally found starflight and starflight 2 for download.
i cant tell you how much time i spent playing these.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

What kind of game are The Crusaders?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

thx for the tips, I'll try them out

Regarding the DOSbox link, the guy on top of that site is supposed to be that Ordos dude from Dune 2 ?
I wouldn't want to play it again, was just a pain in the ass to move every damn single unit, think I gave up on the 3rd mission, it was just too annoying and boring.
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

Isometric 2d action games. Shoot-em-up style.
Nightkin244
Respected
Respected

Post by Nightkin244 »

i grew up on apogee games, from monster bash to commander keen(he was a pimp!) and DK series, man i loved those games!
Our Host!