Is it just me... or is swift learner useless?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Is it just me... or is swift learner useless?

Post by Radoteur »

Average Skill pts per lvl is 15, right?
That's what it says in the manual... i think.

So 5% of 15 would be .725 which is less than one freaking skill point.
For it to do Anything one would need 20 skill points. Pfft.
Educated for me. Wasted an entire perk on stupid swift learner.

Ps: I used the Gifted trait so i get 14 skill points normally. If i use educated 3 times do i get that one extra skill point?
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Doesn't Swift Learner give you a 5% bonus on your Experience, not skill points?
This is Gonna Hurt
Respected
Respected

Post by This is Gonna Hurt »

Swift learner boosts EXP, which is not that noticable but always a good thing.

The SP boost is from the educated perk, which adds 2 points per level.

Neither of these is useless.
I'm not evil, I just like making things explode

"...It IS hard to speak with six inches of knife sticking out of your face. They mostly just gurgle. And bleed." Black Mage
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

Swift Learner is really useful if you have them like 200 :o ... otherwise, I'd take something else... :roll:

Educated is much better, but then again as FO doesn't have increasing skil point need that depends of the level of the skill like in FO2 (like raising 1 point of Big guns takes 1 point in FO in all skill levels, but in FO2 it increases so after 100? level in skill you need 2 skill points per 1 point in the skill....), I never see any reason for Educated. My skills are usually good without it... 8)
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Warlord wrote:Swift Learner is really useful if you have them like 200 :o ... otherwise, I'd take something else... :roll:
No, Swift Learner gives you 5% more experience per level of the perk per encounter, just like Rat Keeng and This is Gonna Hurt said. It has nothing to do with skills at all.

If you kill a radscorpion worth 30 EXP, with Swift Learner, you're getting 32 EXP. If you kill a raider worth 50 EXP, with Swift Learner picked twice, you're getting 55 EXP.

It has nothing to do with skills.
Educated is much better, but then again as FO doesn't have increasing skil point need that depends of the level of the skill like in FO2 (like raising 1 point of Big guns takes 1 point in FO in all skill levels, but in FO2 it increases so after 100? level in skill you need 2 skill points per 1 point in the skill....), I never see any reason for Educated. My skills are usually good without it... 8)
I'm pretty sure Fallout did have the sliding scale of skill points beyond 100.

Try playing a Low Intelligence character sometime, Educated is really nice for those.
------------------
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

What I meant was that if you have 200 Swift Learner perks via cheating, then you have an exp. multiplier of 10. Then it is useful.
Example: You kill a mutie and get 500 exp. Now with (cheated) 200 Swift Learners, you get 5000 exp. instead of 500.
The point of this all, is that Swift Learner is almost of no use at all. You can do much better to take something else. Don't waste valuable perks on Swift Learners. even the Here and Now is better, although I never use that either.

And When I played first, and everytime after that, FO through, it sure didn't have sliding skill thingie. 1 point of skill always costed 1 skill point unless the skill is/was tagged.

But don't believe me, go play the game once again. It may have been that I have an old version, but I can't recall anything of the oppsite and I just finished the game yesterday.
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

The Swift Learner perk isn't useless. It may not be your first choice, and to be honest i wouldn't pick it either, but it still has it's use.

I have the European version of Fallout 1, and there's no sliding scale on skills, getting a skill from 50% to 150% will take me 100 Skill Points, unless it's tagged of course.
This is Gonna Hurt
Respected
Respected

Post by This is Gonna Hurt »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:
Warlord wrote:Swift Learner is really useful if you have them like 200 :o ... otherwise, I'd take something else... :roll:
No, Swift Learner gives you 5% more experience per level of the perk per encounter, just like Rat Keeng and This is Gonna Hurt said. It has nothing to do with skills at all.

If you kill a radscorpion worth 30 EXP, with Swift Learner, you're getting 32 EXP. If you kill a raider worth 50 EXP, with Swift Learner picked twice, you're getting 55 EXP.

It has nothing to do with skills.
I'm pretty sure Fallout did have the sliding scale of skill points beyond 100.

Try playing a Low Intelligence character sometime, Educated is really nice for those.
Fallout has no sliding scale. You can hit 150+ in small guns by level 5 or so if you're so inclined without any real hardships.

Basically the sp boosts are really, really good for people like me who want 3 different combat skills and all the noncombat stuff, too
I'm not evil, I just like making things explode

"...It IS hard to speak with six inches of knife sticking out of your face. They mostly just gurgle. And bleed." Black Mage
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

Guess i should read more carefully.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Saint_Proverbius wrote: Try playing a Low Intelligence character sometime, Educated is really nice for those.
Actually, Educated is only available to characters that have 6+ INT. So while it would be very useful for a dum-dum, a dumdum can't have it. IMHO, I don't think that Swift Learner or Educated is all that good.

At 180,000 XP points, which is about the most you can have in FO1, or will have, let's see how much XP Swift Leaner would give you:

180,000 x .05 = 9000 XP for the first level of SL.

2nd level: 18,000 XP.

At the most, you would gain an extra level from the two levels of Swift Leaerner. So, you could do that, but at the trade off of two perks that you could use other wise. Hmm, looks like a pretty substantial trade off to me. IMO, I don't think an extra XP level is worth two perks.

And as for Educated, the same would apply. And if you realy worry about having skill points, you can just get a skill up to 100%, Tag! it, and lower it back to 100%, leaving you with a bev of free skill points to use at your discretion. And you have the added benefit of a skill Tagged for likely (if you're smart) further use. But overall, Educated would be a better choice for, as This is Gonna Hurt said, "people like me who want 3 different combat skills and all the noncombat stuff, too".

Well, Educated would be much better in FO2, because of its sliding skill sscale. But, of course, we are discussing its viability in FO1.
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

Yep, Educated is better in FO2 as is Swift Learner, 'coz the max level in FO2 is 99 and in FO 21....
Our Host!