Fallout 3 city names and area

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Dark Xenomorph

Fallout 3 city names and area

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

I think that Fallout should escape the wasteland cluthes of California and go into CANADA!! just think u got neo toronto, new canadian dominion, and the barren wasteland of Saskawan!!
king_ota
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by king_ota »

All of North America would be cool (lets see lets hit the ncr, then toronto [which is held under martial law by violent hockey players] and then blowed up Ny wher we will get some real irrated pizza mmmmmm...)
Hail to the King!
Its good to be the king!
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

king_ota wrote:All of North America would be cool (lets see lets hit the ncr, then toronto [which is held under martial law by violent hockey players] and then blowed up Ny wher we will get some real irrated pizza mmmmmm...)
Hockey players i like that idea!
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

I'd like to see the names of cities not be like they are now. I prefered Fallout's system of having all new city names as opposed to Fallout 2's city names where they were clearly spelled out for you. I liked discovering that Necropolis was Bakersfield, for example. There was none of that in Fallout 2.
------------------
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Yeah, I liked that in FO too. To me it was like it was hinted they changed the names as in some sort of a tribute to the dead and in the same time the names lost their meaning when people realised the devastation so Boneyard or Necropolis seemed better fit.I thought it was a very good idea. Give me back Boneyard will ya!
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

Flamescreen wrote:Yeah, I liked that in FO too. To me it was like it was hinted they changed the names as in some sort of a tribute to the dead and in the same time the names lost their meaning when people realised the devastation so Boneyard or Necropolis seemed better fit.I thought it was a very good idea. Give me back Boneyard will ya!
Bakersfield, interesting. i wonder where THE GLOW would be in real life...
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Wromg quote Dark... :D
king_ota
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by king_ota »

It is alot better when you have to guess the names and they are not give to you (like san fran in FO2) but it would be cool to have cities in locations where you would know what they are (like you could call the remenats of baltimore the harbor) Also citys that formed form old towns that survived the war would be cool (mabey my town could be a city in FO3)
Hail to the King!
Its good to be the king!
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

The FO1-way all the way!
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Dirty
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dirty »

The Glow is somewhere out near Palm Springs.
SHAZAM!!!!!
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

thx for the info...
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Even the fictional locations in Fallout had new names, though..

The Glow was West Tek before the war. Military Base was Mariposa. BOS Bunker was Lost Hills.

Fallout had the "world has moved on" feel to it. People no longer stuck to the conventions of the past either because they felt no loyalty to preserve the previous names or they didn't know them. Fallout felt alien really, like you were in a world that wasn't California until you bothered finding out the old names.
------------------
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

just look at the world map! its in the same area idiot!
Knight
Respected
Respected

Post by Knight »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:I'd like to see the names of cities not be like they are now. I prefered Fallout's system of having all new city names as opposed to Fallout 2's city names where they were clearly spelled out for you. I liked discovering that Necropolis was Bakersfield, for example. There was none of that in Fallout 2.
How do you know if it was Bakersfield? It does not say it anywhere in the game. When I was playing it I lost my sense of direction and had to adjust to the alien feel. :?
"The new world is a dangerous place." - Knight
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

How do you know if it was Bakersfield? It does not say it anywhere in the game. When I was playing it I lost my sense of direction and had to adjust to the alien feel. :?
The holodisc from the book seller in the hub indicates this and the town map is kind of a giveaway as well.
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

I'd love to see it on the East Coast. They could even come to NC and my city could be ranamed Wasted Forests. :P
Genghis Khan
Regular
Regular

Post by Genghis Khan »

I think it should be in Washington since fallout seem to be moving north with each game (in FO1 & FO2) and also since NCR is probably growing still stronger and spreading.
I think Washington would be pretty much untouched by the "Evils of Civilisation" so plenty of frontier towns and maybe a few abandoned military bases.
Knight
Respected
Respected

Post by Knight »

That would be cool except for the fact Washington happens to be the capital of the USA...the main target for another countries nukes unless the USA stopped most of the nukes with a laser sattelite network from orbit! :)
"The new world is a dangerous place." - Knight
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

First we had:
Genghis Khan wrote:I think it should be in Washington since fallout seem to be moving north with each game...
Then we had:
Knight wrote:That would be cool except for the fact Washington happens to be the capital of the USA...
There are two places in the US of A commonly known as "Washington". One is the city "Washington, D. C.". The other is a state located north of Oregon. Oregon, incidentally, is located north of California. Do you now get the impression that Genghis was referring to the state of Washington, and not the District of Columbia?

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Genghis Khan
Regular
Regular

Post by Genghis Khan »

Yes that's what I meant. That’s where Seattle resides the windy City and all that.

I Just want to see more of the Wastes without knocking back civilisation a notch or two.
Our Host!