The Fallout Chronicles

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
Canis Lupus
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

The Fallout Chronicles

Post by Canis Lupus »

I am creating an animated series called the Fallout Chronicles. I am doing this mainly because I want to provide some entertainment to the Fallout fans, entertainment that Interplay cannot seem to be able to provide at the moment.

Thus far, most of the Chronicles will be centred around a squad of Enclave warriors as they ascend in profile and experience the soldier's life in the wasteland.

I'll be placing the Chronicles with their sound files compressed on Newgrounds, unless I can find someplace that'll be able to host the raw, beefy Chronicles with full optimisation.

I am posting this here both to receive feedback and to have something to back me up in case someone decides to steal my idea and/or work.

So, any suggestions?

At the moment I am debating whether I should make the abbreviation 'FOC' or 'FC', as Fallout is one word, though FO is commonly used.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Ahh, I see you are taking this one baby step at a time. Ok, use FOC. Next question?

Actually I have a question for you: Who is doing the voice acting?
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

Yes, FOC.

Also, only start it if you know you're going to do it consistantly and consistantly well each time. And don't make any promises you can't keep.

That's what I picked up from my failed comic. Hope your cartoon goes better.

Yea, fill us in on the details, here.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

What have you made before? Since it's going to be animated (and hopefully not look like shit) and it takes a while, have you had any experience?

I was also thinking about making a cartoon but
- I have a 56k modem?
- I need to give my drawing pad back.
- I'd probably get bored.
:chew:
Carib
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Carib »

Cheers, much luck.
Canis Lupus
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Canis Lupus »

Franz_Schubert wrote:Actually I have a question for you: Who is doing the voice acting?
I guess I'll have to 'recruit' people... It's gonna be like a dating agency. Damn.

And so far, I've spent about five hours on it and I'm making the background for the first scene. Which is good because I'm taking my time, but is also bad because I am currently working on the intro to the first one.

Well, the basic plotline for the 'first mission' of that squad I was talking about is:
The Enclave uses a particularly bug-infested canyon to train its recruits in the areas of moving targets and such. Recently, the station where the recruits will stay during that phase has not contacted Persto (the equivalent of Navarro that sits just on the Nevada side of the California/Nevada border) in a while. (Sweet Jesus! Bit of a cliché, I know)
· This squad gets to go back there and see what happened.
· Base overrun by bugs. Easy enough for a first mission (I didn't want to get straight into the Brotherhood vs Enclave action until later) but... tricky enough for some decent action.
· What is behind the sudden coordination of so many bug species? That's correct - roachor! :badgrin:

I just want to know if I'm doing anything that deviates too far from the original Fallout theme. Don't worry, tech is not going to be rampant - there's still plenty of broken shit with Vault-Tec written on it.

EDIT:
Another question - should I put Interplay and 14 Degrees East in the 'special thanks' section? Interplay fucked up big-time lately, but they did create Fallout. And 14 Degrees East... Well, you know.

BlackIsle's in there. They did nothing wrong.
Canis Lupus
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Canis Lupus »

In addition to the above post, I have a couple more questions.

1. Anyone know where I can find a good map of Nevada? I can't find my Encarta CD.

2. I'm currently making it that new Enclave soldiers don't get powered armour, though I'm not sure if I should keep it that way. If they didn't, it'd take away the anonymity and inhuman air of the Enclave, but if they did, it would be hard to distinguish characters. Also, I want to keep the human side of the Enclave characters in there.

3. Below is a pic of the sky first scene. The big grey thing with the red outline is a cloud-to-be, while there others are obviously finished clouds. Do they look like clouds? Keeping in mind that this is an animated series.
Canis Lupus
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Canis Lupus »

Here is a half-done image of the first scene - it's everything from the horizon upwards. I still need to do the foreground. What do you think?

PS: Answer my damn questions!
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Don't bother crediting 14 degrees east, they skewed the plot and for the most part, people agree that their game was not the true Fallout plot. As for a name, FoC or just "The Chronicles" will work. Credit BIS for sure, and perhaps the original Dev team individually?

Also, you talked about the armor taking away the human side of the characters, but it wouldn't at all. It adds that anonymity you talked about when they are murdering/killing/fighting/massacring babies. You can show quick flashes of their faces behind the mask that either enjoy or are disgusted byw hat they are doing, but the primary character development would be through vocals that that point. Their MAIN development would be when the fighting is done and the armor comes off, talking, sitting around a fire, eating, etc.

As for distinguishing between armors, that is the easy part. Use color schemes and decals, stains, rust marks, kill counts, all the things that they would do to individualize their armor. That far out in the field without the Enclave brass around, I think things like that would be common.

Pictures look really nice.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Janus Matchell »

Thats a pretty nifty idea for a story. FOC seems like a pretty viable option for a storyline so start cranking them out I wanna see what its like.
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Obviously because this thread was so neatly burried under a ton of new stuff, the FOC isn't really being worked on. If you think it's a good idea, you can do it.
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Janus Matchell »

Canis Lupus wrote:Here is a half-done image of the first scene - it's everything from the horizon upwards. I still need to do the foreground. What do you think?

PS: Answer my damn questions!
Hey Canis the link you posted takes me to this page does not exist/ this page can't be displayed. Can you post a link that does work please?
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Janus Matchell wrote: Hey Canis the link you posted takes me to this page does not exist/ this page can't be displayed. Can you post a link that does work please?
That's because, as ExtremeDrinker pointed out, there is no work being done on this. This thread is ancient; I don't even think this Canis Lupis guy even comes here anymore, so its downright retarded to ask him a question.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

Janus Matchell: 20 posts a day, all of them stupid.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

[0.19% of total / 20.67 posts per day]

Wow...That's certainly craptacular. I think he's the love child of megatron and neon dingo.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Wow. I've "only" got something like 5 per day? And I'm the spammer?

Post by Guest »

Fallout Ranger:

[0.14% of total / 19.14 posts per day]

Hey look at this guys!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/fallout_ranger/GhettoGoose.bmp
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

you see: my fist
in your nose
twat.

plur,
gimpy

p.s. stop post digging you silly cock mongers
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Reopened at the topic starter's request. Please try not to spam.
Canis Lupus
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Canis Lupus »

Hey, thanks a lot for that.

Alright , I've decided to start again on this, from scratch rather than with what little I had before, and ask here about everything before I go through with it, so I get to know what people want.

I've abandoned the old thing, with the clouds and the sky and the bunkers, maybe you might remember it. But I've got Flash MX now and things will look and be a lot better, although working without a drawing tablet (my other one was damaged) will be hard, at least until I get another one for Christmas.

Now, first, to address new issues:

I've begun to doubt whether the Enclave will be a good focal point for the series in the Fallout fans' eyes - something called the Fallout Chronicles should surely be about the original storyline of the Fallout games, right? But I really don't want to make this based on the stories of FO1 or FO2 because they've already been told, and I don't want to have to think up a character for the Vault Dweller/Chosen One that everyone will be happy with. So the issues here are:
  • Do you approve of the series being focused on the Enclave?
  • Does the title, 'Fallout Chronicles' suit something based on the Enclave?
Scope
The series will be centred around a squad of Enclave troops. I've been seriously thinking about making the leader of the squad a Sergeant Horrigan, and have the series set before Fallout 2 at first, but then overlapping with it, and Horrigan becoming a Secret Service agent, but I don't know if that's such a good idea, or where things would go from there. Input?

A brief timline, which needs a fair bit of filling out:

1. Horrigan and his merry men do some stuff
2. Chosen One begins his quest
3. Horrigan and his merry men do some stuff
4. Horrigan becomes Secret Service agent, don't know what's in store for the squad though yet - maybe they serve with him, maybe they remain grunts - your ideas?
5. Horrigan blows up the farmer and his family
4. Chosen One blows up the derrick, and Horrigan
5. Horrigan's merry men do some stuff(?)

Anyway, there is going to be some kind of storyline obviously, and the squad does missions and shit towards their goal. That's actually the whole plot so far, so it needs a fair bit of work. Oh, the 'fight the bugs for a training mission' idea has been scrapped, because it was shitty, because people are better targets than bugs, and there a plenty of people in the wastelands. I also was thinking to have some Enclave vs BoS fights - but am unsure of where in the timline to put these, if at all.

Do you approve of Enclave vs BoS fights? If so, where in the timeline do you think is the right place?

Now, to clear up some stuff from earlier in this topic:
jetbaby wrote:Don't bother crediting 14 degrees east, they skewed the plot and for the most part, people agree that their game was not the true Fallout plot. As for a name, FoC or just "The Chronicles" will work. Credit BIS for sure, and perhaps the original Dev team individually?
Good idea. So they go in the credits as:

The original Fallout development team (Or should this read 'The original Interplay Fallout development team'?)
Black Isle

jetbaby also made some good points about using the Powered Armour but still having a human side to the characters, I'll go with those ideas.

Is that it already? There seemed to be much more that I could talk about floating around in my head last night. But I guess this'll do for now. Oh yeah, I'm aware of that awesome Fallen Angel series, but that's not Fallout and this is, so it's different.
Our Host!