Was "destroy user" ever implemented correctly

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
bertgoldstein
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Was "destroy user" ever implemented correctly

Post by bertgoldstein »

I've been trying to create a suicide bomb weapon, and I figured the easiest way to do that would be use "destroy user." But when I do that, the character I gave it to will explode taking 1000 damage, but everyone else in the blast radius will be knocked down, but take no damage, even if I set it to insanely high AP damage.

Is there some special way to set it up to work correctly, or is this just another thing that never got finished.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It's "destroy user", right? It's not supposed to kill anyone else. It's useful when you need to kill a single char. Just make it an explosive trap?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

I think it does work correctly, I think destroy user was itended to be used for trapped or faulty weaponry.

Have you tried giving a tagname to some explosives in the entity editor and then adding them to someone's inventory? Then using triggers to start the timer on the explosives, perhaps when the actor sees one of the player's squad. Something I keep meaning to tryout myself, to see if it'll work.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:I think it does work correctly, I think destroy user was itended to be used for trapped or faulty weaponry.
IIRC the only weapon it was used for in the game was the Hover Bots' suicide ram attack.

I was going to set up a weapon called a "Lunge Mine" modeled on a suicide anti-tank weapon used by the Japanese in WWII (6' pole + A-T mine + determined individual = knocked out Allied tank) and I remember what I did was to check/tick "Destroy User", but also to set a damage range and a radius for it.

Requiem's idea should theoretically work for something more akin to a suicide bomber, and you could set the trigger conditions for something like the bomber only having a certain %-age of HP remaining or something similar. However, this was used in Macomb in the core campaign, and I've never seen that bomb go off. (Can't remember what the conditions were, though, which is something I need to check for my Redux version...)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

OnTheBounce wrote:However, this was used in Macomb in the core campaign, and I've never seen that bomb go off.
It doesn't and it won't because they used normal dynamite though later, in St Louis with Burke, they did something similar with modified plastique which worked.

What you need to do is make a copy of the dynamite (or other explosives) and change it to a item trap instead of a timer trap, tick it activated and tagname it. Then place this dynamite in the actor's inventory and also trap the actor, in the level editor, with the edited dynamite. Then using the trigger from Macomb when the actor is hurt the bomb will go off and will also do damage to others.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Good to know that. Thanks guys.
Happy New Year to everyone here.

I'll be posting less here, from now on, but I'm finally getting somewhere with editing.

Enjoy.
Our Host!