Converting FRMs with FRM2BMP while preserving palettes

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Xax
SDF!
SDF!

Converting FRMs with FRM2BMP while preserving palettes

Post by Xax »

I'm having a heck of a time with this problem. I'm using FRM2BMP to convert Fallout 1 FRMs to BMPs, but the problem is, the resulting images sometimes have bright green pixels that shouldn't be there. When I view these FRMs with FRM Converter, they look just fine; no bright green pixels. I've tried using the various *.pal palette files in master.dat, but none of them solve the problem.

HELP! I'm sure there's a simple solution, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to find it. Thanks!

EDIT: Oy. Came across a program called FRM Workshop which let me export the palette. I plugged the palette into FRM2BMP and was successful. Finally!
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Might want to try Red!Viewer though it outputs TGAs instead of BMPs. I can't guarantee the green pixels to be gone though since I remember having some issues with green pixels...
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

Hey Red, I am having problems getting Redviewer to convert .spr images to TGA. I keep getting the following error message:
Run-time error '9'
Subscript out of range.
How do I fix this?
Red

Post by Red »

Find the "full install" of Red!Viewer. You're missing OCX's (ACtive X controls) which the program uses.

I can email it to you if you can't find it. Remember the "full install" is most probably an older version which you'll need to overwrite with the new version's files included in the zip.
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

Thanks Red, I'll have to look for the full install then.

If I have trouble finding it I'll let you know.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

Step 1: Take a screenshot of Fallout... or in some way get an image from fallout that contains Fallout's palette (go hunt down game images on the web if you have to... dont remember where I got my palette).

Step 2: In your fav. photo editing software, load that image and save the palette. If you're still getting the same green pixel problem, load that palette you got from the image (DO NOT REMAP COLORS!, simply load colors as they are). That should fix things, since the palette values are numbers, and I dont believe that the image converter you're talking about remaps colors.

Alternative 1: Get the gif2frm and frm2gif programs (if both exist). I believe they do a much better job. (but the can't make ground sprites though, at least I dont think they can *happy because he knows how to do it otherwise :p *).

Alternative 2: Take screenshots of Fallout and cut/paste the objects out of them. This can be ardious - make sure you get a clean shot of the object without the "hand" or "arrowhead" cursor obscuring it, and you'll want to bitmap pixels out of it from the background. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you've got a whole buncha images in mind (but it works if there's a select few you desperatly want).

*Note: Remapping colors means that a program changes the color index values in an image to best fit a new palette. It's a very useful feature when converting truecolor images to 256 color and you need them to conform to a specific palette (such as Fallout's). Some paint programs call it "Forced Palette", "Custom Palette", or "Remap Colors".
Our Host!