Cavern horror

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Cavern horror

Post by Calal »

I finally decided to write something down so here goes my first try at some fanfic. I might warn you that English is not my maternal language so grammatical and spelling horrors are bound to occure.

The story takes place in post-apocalyptic Europe so the names might seem a bit weird. Also, many of the references might be lost on those unfamilliar with the fopnp setting I' m working on. Ah well, just tell me what you think of it.

Thx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cavern horror part 1

The air was damp and reeked of mildew. Little light shone through the cracks in the rocks, illuminating only a small part of the surroundings. Concentrated moist gathered on the ceiling of the cave and formed small drops that fell downwards, bursting open onto the cold, stone floor with a deafening sound. At least so it seemed to Mark.

He was just moments awake, his head hurting and his temples pounding. He had no idea how he came to be here, no idea as to how his hands came to be covered with blood. Was it his own blood? He didn’ t seem to have any major wounds, only small scratches on his arms and legs. His bandaged right leg didn’ t seem to show recent signs of bleeding. No, it wasn’ t his. Perhaps it belonged to the mangled human corpse that lied next to him? Then how did it came to be on his hands?
Marcus shivered when he threw a glance at the corpse and for a moment his stomach seemed to turn. He had seen death and Brahmin mutilations before but this was something different alltogether. The man died no natural death, that was for sure. But to have been maimed in this way? Something really big and nasty, a bloodthirsty predator had to have done this. Another shiver ran down his spine and suddenly Marcus felt very unease by the thought of this thing still being nearby. Quickly he jumped towards the rusty pump-action shotgun he saw lieing nearby a moment earlier, grabed it and scuttled back. There he sat now, his back against the rocky wall of the cave, shotgun close to his chest. He closed his eyes and prayed he hadn’ t made to much noise.
An eery moment of silence ensued, the sound of falling drops and his own breathing and heartbeat seeming almost unbearable. Fuck! Was this thing even loaded? Marcus checked the chamber of the gun. It was empty. Just his luck. To be out here, wherever that might have been, with no ammo and possibly being hunted by an unknown ennemy. He had to get out of here, fast. No delay, he had to act now. Much against his liking he quitely crawls towards the corpse. The horryfying prospect of having to rummage through the mutilated man’ s pockets made him nervous. He put the gun down beside him and sat there on his knees for a moment.
Hesitantly he rolled the corpse over with his both hands. A squishing sound followed as the corpse’ s internal organs dropped out of the abdomen. The warm sensation and stench reached Marcus’ nostrils and he let go of the corpse in horror when he caught sight of the dead man’ s face. On all fours he crawled backwards towards the wall again, abandonning his gun. He crawled up into a ball as if he his own bodyheat would bring him comfort. But it proved to much for him. Soon he started to heave and let go the little contents his stomach contained before. Trembling he put his sleeve to his mouth and wiped away the rest of saliva from his mouth. Tears were formed in his eyes.
God! He had known this man. His name was Joneph, they used to travel togheter. Joneph was a former City-NW 2 ganger and had a knack for close quarter fighting. Fragments of his memories seemed to return as he remembered them visiting the dieing town of Moselle. They had been low on rations and other suplies and those greedy bastards of Iron Hills had refused them entry and shelter.
There were others in their party too he remembered. Pjotr, the Ghoul doctor and Yianna, a female gunslinger. The four of them had had their share of adventures already after they had teamed up at Abbey-sur-Rheims. So it seemed like a good idea at the time to accept the plead for help from the Counsil of Four at Moselle. What could have possibly been dangerous or difficult in tracking and bringing back or killing an escaped convict, a deranged murderer and rapist that plagued the town and hidd somewhere in the surrounding hills? He wouldn’ t pose a threat to their experience. At least it seemed that way untill they found out their prey had already been killed when they had found it. It’ s tracks had led them towards a cave that had been guarded by tribal eddifices depicting a large hulking monster or god. Recent offerings in the form of all manner of goods near the entrance seemed a bit strange but no further thought was given, the execution of the contract had been more important at that time. After passing through some natural passageways they had found their escaped convict, mutilated in a horrible manner; his limbs torn from his torso. Some of the limbs had shown signs of still lukewarm saliva. The only thing after that which Marcus could remember was an almost deafening bestial roar coming from behind them and gunshots being fired in response. After that he must have passed out.

He sat there, still shivering. He had to move. He picked up all of the little courage that remained inside him and closed on to the corpse of Joneph. With an expression of disgust on his face he went though the pockets of the torn jacket, trying not to look towards the corpse’ s visage. Great! He knew he had seen Joneph stash away some buckshot shells in his vest. ......5, 6, ...7, 8 shells. Not much but it had to do. Marcus put the shells in his pouch. He checked the nearby slingbag next. A flare or two, some dried meat, a stimpak and a pouch containing bottlecaps. He slung the slingbag over his shoulder, picked up the shotgun he had left there earlier and loaded as many shells into the pump-action shotgun as possible. He still sat there crouching. Time to go he thought. Carefully he headed into the adjacent room, ready to react at the slightest danger.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcus unwraped the foil from the flare and knocked it’ s end on the cavewall. The force of the blow ignited the flamable substances held within the container and soon the room became lit by a dim and foggy red light. Slow rising smoke projected all sorts of creepy and dancing shadows on the cavernous wall, playing tricks on Marcus’ senses. His heart kept beating in his throat with the intensity of a raging Brahminbull, but Marcus knew he had to try to get out of there. This was no time to let his fears take over his common sense. Still, what common sense was there left after having seen the mangled corpse of his former companion? And what had happened with the rest, Pjotr and Yianna? He still couldn’ t remember anything after the attack.
A sudden sound on his right alarmed him, like falling pebbles in the distance. Quickly he flinched, retreated towards the wall with his back, dropped the flare and gave a strong yank at the shotgun’ s pumping mechanism; the clicking sound telling him the gun was ready to spray lead. He felt a slight shift in the air and turned towards it waving the shotgun in front of him. There! He saw something moving and almost instantly squeezed the trigger. The nozzle of the firearm lit up and unleashed a deathwail that ecchoëd between the rocky walls. Then there was only silence and smoke.
This was getting all to much for Marcus. His heart racing and his breath choking. Sweat dripped from his forehead down on his nose and cheeks, blurring his vision. Nervously he wiped his face clean with the dirty sleave of his vest as he blinked with his eyes. The smoke cleared up and he could clearly distinguish something bloody lieing over there. He dared not to move and so squinted his eyes. It looked certainly smaller than he had imagined ............ Carefully he scuttled a bit closer.
A huge-looking rat! A goddamn rat! In all his paranoia he had shot a goddamn rat! It might have been a giant one but after all it was still a rat. Marcus cursed aloud and kicked the critter’ s torn-open corpse against the wall. He stood there for a moment, catching his breath, trembling, almost crying. He closed his eyes and flung his head backwards, going through his greasy hair with his free left hand. Then he sighed, walked towards the flare and picked it up once again to continue his escape.

He felt at peace lying there in the grass. The wind moved playfully through her golden locks carrying her sweet scent. Through their clothing he could still sense her heartbeat, feel her warmth and comfort. She loved him he knew. Even if he had to go away for a little while once more. He moved closer towards her and planted a gentle kiss on her forehead while he stroke through her hair.
“ You‘ ll come back, won’ t you?�
“Ofcourse I will, you know that very well. It’ s like I told you before; one more trip and I’ ll have enough caps for some decent Brahmin.�
“I know, but why do you have to leave now? Father doesn’ t aprove, with the harvest coming soon. We could really use the extra muscle now that the Duke drafted Simon and Peter into his army.�
“Your old man is to pesimistic. I’ ll be back even before the next moon.�
“I don’ t know, I have this feeling....�
“Will you stop it already? Everything will be fine. This is suppossed to be an easy errand.�
“You promise?�
“I promise.�
“Here, take this along. It was my mother’ s. I’ ve worn it every day since she died. Now I want you to have it, to remind you of me and the promise you made, wherever you’ re going.�
“Your mother’ s ring?�
“Hey, carefull. I’ m suppossed to get that back.�
“Don’ t worry. I wouldn’ t even get a beer for that one.�
She punched him in the arm and he pretended it hurt. They both laughed.

Marcus woke up with a shock when a drop hit him straight in the face. He must have dozed off. How long had he been asleep? He couldn’ t recall. He knew he had crawled into a small space between some rocks, barely protected, but anything was beter than being caught unaware in the open. Carefully he tried to get up. Before him lie a huge natural cave with various cavernous tunnels leading further into the depths and a small natural lake. This place was a maze. He had followed some of the tunnels only to end up back here again. His joints ached and he felt weary and tired. Marcus opened the slingbag in search for some dried meat, only to discover he had already eaten all of it. He closed the bag, sighed and sat down. This was suppossed to be an easy errand he mumbeled to himself. Almost instinctively he reached for the ring he wore and gazed at it. The ring had seen better days, the metal had lost it’ s glitter and the inscription on it was all but readable now. How he wished now he had never left the farming community. Thinking of the one place ever he had be calling home made his throat soar.
He stood up and dragged himself towards the small lake. The water looked inviting although he knew there was danger in drinking from it. If only he had a geiger counter. Marcus kneeled near the bank and put his gun beside him on the ground. He drank hastely of the cool water with both of his hands and then decided to submerge his head, washing of the dirt. When he resurfaced and reeled his head backwards a nearby bestial roar surprised him from behind. It was very close, to close for comfort. His shaggy hair hung in his eyes, diminishing his visibility to near blindness when he jumped for his weapon. Something heavy hit him in the neck and his vision turned red. Everything faded.

Marcus opened his soarfull eyes. His throat was dry and his head ached as he lie there on the cavernfloor. He tried to move but couldn’ t. A sickening crunching noise alerted him and he saw a huge shadow cast on the cavewall in front of him. The beast was feeding on something and must have left him for dead. Better not attract any attention and play along he thaught as he closed his eyes again. He heard movements. As if the beast was dragging something along deeper inside the caves. The sounds grew louder as the beast passed him by. Marcus couldn’ t control his curriosity to catch a glimpse of the thing and risked to open his eyes. He saw a corpse being dragged along. A headless corpse. A terribly maimed corpse, the ribcage torn open by razor-sharp claws and teeth. A corpse wearing a ring on one of it’ s fingers. A corpse wearing his ring! As he realised the horrifying extend of the truth Marcus let out a soundless scream that spoke louder than any other sound he had ever heard. After that there was only desolation and silence.

Last edited by Calal on Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
He who keeps the old akindled and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher.
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

hit it calal, its good so far :) bring on part 2.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Long paragraph :P

Interesting view of Yurop. The story's short but sweet. It seems interesting... so show us part 2!
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Bloodgeon11
Vault Scion
Vault Scion
Location: this great country of bombing the crap out of others

Post by Bloodgeon11 »

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad to see people taking renewed interest in the fan-fic section!
"Science fiction wiggers" is my new favorite phrase.

"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
-"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
"Ask a glass of water."
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Allright, I just finished the second part. Any comments, advice, criticism?
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

part 2 was interestingly darker than one, some spelling mistakes, but still readable and atmospheric :) is there more?
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Errr, no. That' s where it ends. But I have some more ideas for European Fallout fiction. I' ve been working on something about the downfall of Hamburg but it will be something different alltogheter storywise. But that' s far from done actually.

Spelling mistakes heh? So you volunteer to check and correct it? :p
(No joke, seriously, I could use the help of someone fluent in English)

Hehe, thx for the support mate.
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

damn this volunteering shit hehehe :) its a good story and if you need help with anything in the next one, just pm me, i'll do my best to rectify it for you Calal :)
Our Host!