Once upon a time...

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Nordic Avenger
SDF!
SDF!

Once upon a time...

Post by Nordic Avenger »

Yes indeed once upon a time I headed this project. Sadly now the website and project itself are in miserable shape. More-so the former but that's just a matter of opinion.

Anyway, here's the story.

So this is back when Fallout 2 was fairly recent and I was working my way up to Frank Horrigan still hoping to find the G.E.C.K. and save Arroyo. The Interplay Fallout forums were a great hubbub of info and pleasant discussion on various topics; one such topic was modding. When I first learned of the idea I let it sit on the back burner for a while until I was certain I had done everything that there was to do legitimately in Fallout 2. Hell I even had a go at the Fallout 1 demo; but that's besides the point… After a while the idea struck me again so I figured that I could do a little research and find what resources were available to a modding nüb such as I. After reading a few tutorials and mucking about in the .dat files I became more adept to working with/in them. Once I was confident that I could lead a modding project I jumped into action. Posts went all over the place and the word spread, soon I had assembled a crack-team of modders to get the whole thing started.

Our plan was to steal the Fallout 2 engine via reverse engineering [somewhat] and create a Fallout 3/Expansion to hold off the rabid appetites of others [including ourselves…] Things were going good, a new story was in the works, we discovered a secret .html file on the Interplay servers which had screen shots and a few descriptions of the Fallout 2 mapper. Also while rummaging through the .dat files we found some of the left out cities you hear about now and a few files from the actual Fallout 2 mapper! [Interplay, you lazy bastards.] This and more were uplifting all of our spirits and work went now into 2 things; storyline and mapper. Having only a background in BASIC, HTML, and TI-83 my only hope for making the mapper lied within the "Visual Java" pack that I had received for free in the mail after I had called in response to an article in a magazine saying I could get a free demo; however they goofed and sent me the full version [Rok!]. I sat down with some Java and trudged through it eventually getting things to work out until one morning I woke up and went to turn my computer on. Lights blinked and fans spun but my hard-drive wouldn't purr anymore. The monitor turned on and all that was to be displayed was a horizontal cursor which did, as horizontal cursors tend to do, indeed blink. I tried every trick in vain and was eventually forced to bring her to the doctor. She had Chernobyl. $200, a new motherboard and a corrupted hard-drive later I was back online, but sadly I had lost every last little bit data that was on there; and as such the project was gone.

Just for anyone who knew/cared/didn't-even-know-about-it-but-had-time-to-kill.
Shadowrunner
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shadowrunner »

oh man! bad because a new fallout would been cool
Our Host!