Asian Cinema thread

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Jack_Deth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Asian Cinema thread

Post by Jack_Deth »

avenger69ie posted about Battle Royale so I thought we could start a topic about other good asian movies.

Of course there are Hard Boiled, The Killer, and the rest of the Woo movies. Some others though...

Versus (Evil Dead + cyberpunk)
Fulltime Killer (Andy Lau is cool in this one)
Mission
Full Contact (Another Chow Yun Fat one, I think this one is overrated but has a couple cool scenes)
Brother (cool Yakuza comes to the US movie)

Anyone else care to post some others ?
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

ichi the killer
:chew:
Jack_Deth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jack_Deth »

I was also going to say, no anime.. hate that stuff :P
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

only asian cinema i like is their pr0n
bey.
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Anything by Akira Kurosawa. My personal two favorites are The Seven Samurai and Yojimbo. Yes, I've brought him up before--now I have a legitimate reason to do so.
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Generally I don't watch many foreign films as I don't like reading movies much. But there's some good ones.

Anime is shit. It'd be a lot better if it was live-action and STEVEN SEGAL WAS IN IT!
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Megatron wrote:ichi the killer
That's one sick muthafucka. I wish they put Jet Li in Mad Max'szz Thunderdome and let em face it off. I know where my money would be at.
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

Crouching Tiger hidden Dragon, Armour of God, Police story, Meals on wheels, heheh the list goes on... i've seen Versus, its gorey almost to a sickening point, the dialogue is rubbish but teh gun and swordplay are quality, The killer was great, had some hilarious scenes in it, but above all, i reckon if you have never seen any asian film before, make sure your first is battle royale.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Asian Cinema thread

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Sonatine or Violent Cop are other Kitano films worth mentioning I guess

I downloaded them, too, once in a while but didn't get the english subs to work properly, thus I didn't watch them

may anyone tell me then how to add those freaky subs via virtualdub or whatever program needed ? :x
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

there is alot of good anime. just avoid the ones with swords and shit and you will be good.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

Blue Gender was good in a Post apoc kind of way...well for anime it was good
Jack_Deth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jack_Deth »

avenger69ie wrote:i've seen Versus, its gorey almost to a sickening point, the dialogue is rubbish but teh gun and swordplay are quality, The killer was great, had some hilarious scenes in it, but above all, i reckon if you have never seen any asian film before, make sure your first is battle royale.
Yea, Versus does have awful dialog. I need to watch it with just subtitles and see how it is. I would say.. Hard Boiled or The Killer for asian film, moreso Hard Boiled to me cause I like little to no plot :)
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

avenger69ie wrote:Blue Gender was good in a Post apoc kind of way...well for anime it was good
No, Blue Gender was shitty anime. Jesus, no wonder you people hate anime--do yourselves a favor and not watch anything that comes on TV involving anime except Cowboy Bebop. Nine times out of ten it is pure shit.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Tetsuo the Iron Man

Fucking insane movie, totally avant garde, it inspired the Borg on Startrek, even the scene in in ST First Contact where Picard sees that thing pop out of his cheek? It's an incredibly less violent homage to this movie. It's about a couple guys who turn into metal and fight each other - interspersed with some pretty psycho homoerotic imagery. It's a hard movie to watch, but if you like movies that are out there, this is THE movie.

I do like some anime too, the Patlabor movies are great detective stories, Akira is well animated if a bit cheezy with the whole "spirit of life in all objects" bullshit. Um. Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade is too, there wasn't really a particular reason why this movie couldn't have been filmed with live actors, theres no crazy ass non-real stuff happening. They just wanted to animate it and it looks good?

And FIST OF THE NORTH STAR!!!!
VIOLENCE ++
FISTS FLY HEADS EXPLODE BAM BAM BAM
I <3 it even thought it's animated like omg bad. Still has a nice cozy place in my heart. :'-!
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

GODZILLA
Hello New Jersey
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Why isn't western cinema as violent or gory as asian cinema? To say america is meant to be a violent culture full of dumb rednecks who hate black people or whatever moore said, the movies aren't violent at all?
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Seriously, American cinema - and American media in general is totally pussy. The amount of blood I like out of a movie can't even fit into any of the rating categories, and we can't even show nudity on public television. DESPITE THE FACT WE ARE THE MOST EVIL AND MORAL-LESS NATION EVER. Ok? What's the deal then?
Jack_Deth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jack_Deth »

I brought that up with someone I was talking to them and they said its because they express themselves through the movie while we would rather just kill someone in real life.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Oh, sorry, I hadn't realized that I was a closet murderer until this moment :-!
Sure america sucks people, but really WTF? Do you really believe that stuff?
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

People like to point the finger at the US because it's a big, easy target. Nevermind the fact that there's plenty of other countries with much bigger, more disturbing problems, or the simple fact that everyone's country is guilty of at least something retarded.
Our Host!