Novels

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Furios666
SDF!
SDF!

Novels

Post by Furios666 »

Ok...I want to read novels and I saw a few on these forums here a while ago, but I can't find them anymore by using search.

Anyway, does anyone know some good titles for me to read with a sort of fallout feel of nuclear holocaust story stuff in it? I have the movie "The Day After" and I really liked that one...so books with that kind of stuf and/or fallout of course :)

you know what I mean...

thx
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Uh...the first couple hundred pages of The Stand by Stephen King aren't too bad. Then he starts interjecting a lot of stupid good and evil bullshit about old black women who are uneducated and deaf people with one eye. No, I'm not making any of that up. Fucking coked up retard...
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

yes you are? the deaf guy had 2 eyes, the black woman was uneducated but WISE BEYOND HER YEARS! for chrissakes!

But yeah, the super-natural crap is pretty...crap. But it seems the apocalypse is either sci-fi or fantasy so it's not too bad.
:chew:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

that old woman ruined teh book! (well, im just half-way thru it right now, but she sucks anyway :P)
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

the postman = fallout in paperback
bey.
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

iohkus = fallout enforcer lol :)

hyperion is pretty good, but not so much PA as sci-fi
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

i enforce things in fallout

but what was wrong with postman? it was all like "lol... augmented."

i haven't seen the movie remake of it and dont' really want to
bey.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

The Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield.
Ruben Rooben Reuben
Respected
Respected

Post by Ruben Rooben Reuben »

I found a book called Nuke Rebuke. It's a collection of short stories, artwork, and ...poems...ugh... sang to the tune of bunny-loving college bum-chasers.

Neat to read, though.
"Get your toothbrush and whatever!" - Hans Zarkhov
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Well, since Hammer added a book that isn't pos apoc but good nontheless, I figure I'll do the same.

The Caveman's Valentine by George Dawes-Green.

And on The Stand: I just wish King could get over his fear of black people who passed middle school and add one that doesn't act like Aunt Jemima or Morgan Freeman from Driving Miss Daisy. He's got some sort of problem where if he has black people in his books they HAVE to be uneducated or get seriously injured. And I'm pretty sure the deaf guy lost one of his eyes during the course of a story (I remember him wearing an eye patch). Randall Flag should be president.
Rev
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Rev »

Road side picinic is a pirtty good book, it's what the game s.t.a.l.k.e.r. oblivion lost is based off of.

edited: oh and the shannara series is a good read its post nuke.
There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality;
and then there are those who turn one into the other. --Douglaus Everett
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I just remembered this book I read in highschool called Z for Zachariah. It's a good read, and my English teacher at the time told us all to check out The Day After. Kinda the same atmosphere. That's really what sparked my interest in survival in a post apocalyptic world. Before that I didn't think life was an option after nuclear war.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

Timegod's World-End of the world, rebuilding, and technofied norse myth,really odd, may not be for everyone
The Forever hero-not so much about the end of the world, but about one man's quest to rebuild it, sci-fi-space epic, immortal guy, really nice.
On The beach-Not sure if I got the title right, about the last few people on earth after a nuclear holocaust,only Australia is left, because of wond currents or something.Really a downer, even for an apocalypse book.
Deathlands series-A whole slew of books set in a very fallout-esque world.Only read a few, but I liked what I read, mutants, underground bastions of technology, time travel, guns,knives, giant spiders.....wait a tic, it pretty much exactly like fallout.IF you enjoy Fallout, this is it in book form,mostly anyway.I like 'em.
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

I read Z for Zacariah in the 4th grade--definitely a good read.
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by InvisibleMonkey »

Someone recommended a book called Hellstrom's Hive by Frank Herbert, I have not read it yet, is it any good ?
Irony is a cruel, sadistic bitch.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

The only Frank Herbert I've ever read is the Dune series, and that's absolutely amazing, so probably? I picked up and read the first page of some other book and it seemed a lot like Dune - at least stylistically - so I donno?
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Rev wrote:oh and the shannara series is a good read its post nuke.
No dude, first of all it sucks, secondly, it's not even post-nuke.

The Death Gate Cycle, on the other hand, could be considered post apocalyptic, though not in the ordinary sense. Anyone else read it? (I cannot possibly recommend it more)
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

I should probably read dune and a whole lot of other books... but that involves turning pages and shit, that's why i just watch movies

movies are books for lazy people who need physical representation of a story and setting

i should get some books on tape, read by james earl jones or something, that'd be pimp... fuckin eh
bey.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

The Sandlot pwned.
Our Host!