Political correctness?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

What do you think of Political Correctness?

Empty (for security reasons, if you choose this you are a geek, pick a real option)
No votes
It is necessary in our society
14%
It is not necessary in our society
68%
I don't care
18%

Total votes: 22

Walks with the Snails
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Walks with the Snails »

HappySuitcase Man wrote:It's bullshit. I have nothing against refraining from using racial slurs and the like, but when it reaches further, it crosses into thought control. Let's say that you want to discuss whether the Vietnam "Conflict" was a violation of international law. Well, if you argue that it was, you just fucked yourself up the ass, because you’re degrading the actions of a crapload of soldiers. It's next to impossible to discuss the main issues of the war, now. If you get people riled up enough, you'll be due for "sensitivity training." Sounds positively Orwellian.
No, no, no. Remember rule #3 of political correctness. America is always the bad guy. Especially white, male, Christian Americans, as they are of course the root of all evil. So degrading the actions of America's soldiers is always okay, unless you specifically criticize any minority groups of soldiers, in which case you're evil. You can say Vietnam was a violation of international law in the heart of Berkley if you like without getting lynched, I assure you. Political correctness is mainly about being polite to the "right" people, everyone else is fair game, and any amount of slander against them is heartily enouraged.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Walks with the Snails wrote:No, no, no. Remember rule #3 of political correctness. America is always the bad guy. Especially white, male, Christian Americans, as they are of course the root of all evil. So degrading the actions of America's soldiers is always okay, unless you specifically criticize any minority groups of soldiers, in which case you're evil. You can say Vietnam was a violation of international law in the heart of Berkley if you like without getting lynched, I assure you. Political correctness is mainly about being polite to the "right" people, everyone else is fair game, and any amount of slander against them is heartily enouraged.
Highly true.

Making fun of men: Funny
Making fun of women: Sexist
Making fun of Christains: Funny
Making fun of Muslims: Evil
Making fun of Jews: Antisemetic (I find it funny there's a word specifically for this)

You can even see it in the way the media reports things too. Remember a few years ago with the church burnings? Notice that they focused on the churches that were predominately black congregations. Never mind that church burnings that year were at a low, and never mind that most of the churches burned that year weren't just black churches.
------------------
Mikey
Regular
Regular

Post by Mikey »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:Making fun of Jews: Antisemetic (I find it funny there's a word specifically for this)
it's actually anti-semitic. but SP, what's so strange about it?
semite is just another word for jew, just like mussulman is a synonym for muslim.
so if i'd say anti-mussulman you'd find that odd as well?

it's not a word invented for the sole purpose of defining that something is against the jews.
nein! das ist verboten, goddammit!
Darkness40k
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Darkness40k »

Over a 1000 years of persicussion and a 6million death toll holocost, might invent a word for racism against a people. Don't you think?
To quote a source from '96:
"hopefully Political Correctness will soon dissapear up one of it's own orifices, of its own choice."
What a shame that never happened.
Sounds like a BNP website quote.

The thing about PC is this:

By hiding, or banning a word, you do not destroy tehf eeling behidn a word. You drive racism udner ground.
Much like drugs.

There is different racism. The racism of a majority over a minority has power (i.e. white agianst black in the US/UK) but the other way round, has no power.

I can't remember the last tiem I even took notive when some one called me a cracker (not that its happen more than twice) but call me a yid, and your dead.

Racism attacks minority, a majority has nothing to fear from racism, after all to a majority its only words, to a minority its slavery or death (although mostly in modern times its not getting a good job).
IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY WAR
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

Another thing which really infuriates me is the American trend of associating the country of 'origin' with American. For instance, African-American, Italian-American, Irish-American etc... This has to be the height of PC nonsense. Why do these people feel the need to associate themselves with another country or continent. I probably would be correct in assuming that their birth certificates said 'American'. This political correctness simply helps to fan the flames. By pidgeonholing people in different groups you dissociate them from the other group thereby giving them something to attack.

Frankly, I think this idea is moronic and I will use myself to prove it. All Cro-Magnon life apparantly originated in the Olivudu[sp?] gorge in North Africa. I am now African English. I have red hair and blue eyes a predominantly Celtic trait. I am now African-Celtic-English. Throughout the millennia the bastion which is enland has fallen to many invaders. The Celts, Romans, Jutes, Angles, Saxons and the Normans. There is problably a possibility that throughout time my bloodline has been mixed with let us say half of these groups. I am now African-Celtic-Anglo-Saxon-English. People who claim on to older antiquated ideas are the reason for the large amount of politically correct bullshit in our society today.
Walks with the Snails
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Walks with the Snails »

Darkness40k wrote: The thing about PC is this:

There is different racism. The racism of a majority over a minority has power (i.e. white agianst black in the US/UK) but the other way round, has no power.
Uh, huh. Tell that to the next corporation that gets shaken down by Jesse Jackson to pay off his next mistress. Or the innocent people in Philadelphia who were beaten and robbed in the race riot a couple of years ago and found out the fury over "hate crimes" only cuts one way, as the police ignored their complaints. Or the Border Guards getting shot at when the Mexican Army makes incursions across the border, who then get ignored by the government and the press because nobody wants to be seen as saying anything bad about Mexicans. They're all are American examples, but I imagine similar things happen in your country.
I can't remember the last tiem I even took notive when some one called me a cracker (not that its happen more than twice) but call me a yid, and your dead.
Well, that's how you feel, I guess. Personally, I draw my identity based on what I know, what I believe, what I'm capable of, and what I've accomplished. I really have no interest in defining myself based on my race, nor do I judge others based on theirs. So someone can toss whatever slurs they want at me, it really doesn't matter. It just proves their own ignorance.
Racism attacks minority, a majority has nothing to fear from racism, after all to a majority its only words, to a minority its slavery or death (although mostly in modern times its not getting a good job).
Uh huh. Ever hear of affirmative action? It's kept plenty of better-qualified people from jobs or schools because they just happen to be in the majority. And a racist from a minority can launch physical, mental, and legal attacks against other individuals or groups just as easily as someone from the majority can. In a climate like today's, they're much more likely to get away with it, too. It doesn't make it any more right.
HappySuitcase Man
Regular
Regular

Post by HappySuitcase Man »

Walks with the Snails wrote:No, no, no. Remember rule #3 of political correctness. America is always the bad guy. Especially white, male, Christian Americans, as they are of course the root of all evil. So degrading the actions of America's soldiers is always okay, unless you specifically criticize any minority groups of soldiers, in which case you're evil. You can say Vietnam was a violation of international law in the heart of Berkley if you like without getting lynched, I assure you. Political correctness is mainly about being polite to the "right" people, everyone else is fair game, and any amount of slander against them is heartily enouraged.
Proclaiming America as the bad guy is okay, as long as you don't make any specifications, in which case, you're some pinko commie. America's image isn't exactly the bad guy, just that bumbling idiot who tries to help the world, just messes up. At most, you can say that America's is trying to be the world's police officer. Anything more, it's "Get your anarchist ass outta this country, OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone." Sometimes even that's too much, as some U.S. guardian of political correctness will say, if we didn't send our benevolent aid, they'd just complain we aren't helping at all!" This is pushed even by those "liberal folk" i.e. people who say they love Latinos and immigrants, as long as they don't move into the neighborhood. Remember all the trouble Politically Incorrect got into when Bill Maher suggested that bombing cities 100 miles away was somehow less cowardly than suicide - bombing the World Trade Center?

Let's take another look at Indochina. People got up in arms when we bombed the wrong village, but when we hit the right village, no one gave a shit, except for "those raving Marxists." Say you do some research on the subject, and you conclude that America attacked the country of Vietnam. This would imply that the U.S. wasn't fighting back the evils of Communism in our humanitarian efforts. Now, proceed to prepare a life where everything you say is greeted by groans and eye-rolling. Again, political correctness dictates that America failed our humanitarian mission to save the people of Vietnam. In reality, the U.S. achieved its major goal in the war against the peasantry -- Indochina was destroyed. There is now no danger that Vietnam will provide for a good example for other countries in the Indochina region. The message got sent. Either starve under globalization, or get tortured to death by U.S. funded - terrorism.

Suggest that the U.S. did anything bad on purpose, and you're fucked. If you ask Political Correctness, Saddam Hussein turned crazy in 1990 (certainly not while we were his buddy), or that America was never his ally. Forget that the atrocities he committed while he was our little puppy was just as bad as post - Kuwait Invasion relations. Unless you wanna be some pinko, that is.
This is my signature.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Darkness40k wrote:Racism attacks minority, a majority has nothing to fear from racism, after all to a majority its only words, to a minority its slavery or death (although mostly in modern times its not getting a good job).
Tell that to the South African blacks under Apartheid.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

HappySuitcase Man wrote:...U.S. funded - terrorism.
No, no, no! Get it right HSM!

The US is a gov't, part of the status quo, ergo it does no engage in terrorism. It engages in counter-terrorism. (The methods of which are largely refinements on German anti-partisan operations on the Eastern Front during WWII, I might add...)

Tsk, tsk. You should go and re-read your Chomsky. ;)

OTB
Last edited by OnTheBounce on Sun May 26, 2002 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappySuitcase Man
Regular
Regular

Post by HappySuitcase Man »

Walks with the Snails wrote:
Uh huh. Ever hear of affirmative action? It's kept plenty of better-qualified people from jobs or schools because they just happen to be in the majority. And a racist from a minority can launch physical, mental, and legal attacks against other individuals or groups just as easily as someone from the majority can. In a climate like today's, they're much more likely to get away with it, too. It doesn't make it any more right.
This brings up another point about Political Correctness. In Political Correctness, there is one word you should never utter -- class. Unless you're talking about school, you're fucked. According to PC, the U.S. is a class - free society. That's where affirmative action comes in. Let's compare two people -- A white - trash kid who grew up in some shit town in Alabama, and a black kid who grew up with private tutors and a wealthy business executive for a father in Orange County. Of course, since the U.S. is a class - free society, then we need to put the blame on race for holding people back. Therefore, the rich black kids race held him back, while that white trash was given every opportunity in life.

Here's another example. You've all seen those charts where health, mortality, quality of life, etc. are measured? Well, have you noticed that they're all broken down by race? Some professor at John Hopkins University broke down the statistics by class. The results came out to be what made the most sense. The white factory worker and the black factory worker's stats were about the same. Same case with the white business executive and the black business executive. He then proceeded to send the results to all the medical journals in the U.S. Since the U.S. is a class - free society, the analysis was skewed from the beginning (according to propaganda and PC). Strangely, the leading medical journal in the world, located in England, took it in right away.
This is my signature.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

actually the U.S funds the I.R.A in ireland that bombs stuff and are generally terrorists...I think.
:chew:
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Mikey wrote:semite is just another word for jew...
Actually, that word's been hijacked. "Semitic" refers to all of the those peoples believed descended from Shem, the son of Noah. These are basically the people that originated on the Arabian Penninsula and migrated out into Mesopotamia (modern Iran/Irag), the Mediterranian coast and the Nile Delta. So it actually includes all of the Arabic peoples as well. Through misuse it's rapidly loosing its meaning, though.

OTB
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Darkness40k wrote:Sounds like a BNP website quote.
What does this mean? I hope it's not what i think it means - it actually came out of an old magazine i found in my attic from '96, and which got me thinking to create the topic. I don't discriminate against people until i know what they are like and i treat everyone i have just met equal. I just believe in speaking my mind.
So what does BNP mean? :?

EDIT: also just realised that i don't think the internet even existed in '96. (certainly not like it does now)
DOUBLE EDIT: i think we're straying off the topic at hand, guys, we've gone from political correctness to racism and the way things are going, unless we get it back on track, it could become a crap throwing match, and get the topic locked, e.g the Thread of a Billion Posts.
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

The BNP is the British Nationalist Party.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Yeah, no more racism :roll: (even though we're not being racist at all, in this thread, just stating opinions and facts to back them up, just because you start to talk about another 'race' of people negatively doesnt automatically make you racist, and we havent even talked negatively in this thread except about the U.S)

To: Pyro
Posted: Sat May 25, 2002 12:38 am
Subject: Stop it
You'd better chill on the racist shit. Just a warning. I don't want to have to ban you. Again.
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Thanks, boywoos :)
But seriously, find it a little offensive that i was pigeonholed like that. The quote in question came from an old copy of Gamesmaster I found in my loft (where they were reviewing the rather gory game Gloom [i think that's what it's called]).
I know it's a litlle sad, it just got me thinking.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

bnp is a political party in england that people seem to think are nazis.

the bnp want all the minorities out of britian. Or something.
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Thank you Pyro, i didn't actually know that. I could take offence at Darkness 40K's remark, but i won't, because i'm not a racist or a nazi, so tthe remark completely misses me. Hell, i'm so liberal i don't mind anyone i meet, unless they are real nasty to me. I only have a problem with the fear that most people live in now due to political correctness, feeling as if their words are being scrutinised. I feel that it is OK in doses, but it has gone crazy of recent years. :(
gauss
SDF!
SDF!

Post by gauss »

i say FUCK pollitlcal correction!!! all these fucking gooks and swell guy dancing around like they are REALLY offended.. you ever watch BET comedy??? all these dirty negroes talk about is making fun of crackers and spics!!!! but is that ok?? yeah its ok because blacks were slaves... thats fuckign gay.. that and the jews, they arent the only people who suffered!!! fuck those swell guy!!!

my 2cents... (for your mother so i can sex her)
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

I think this topic should get locked actually. I regret creating it if it's just going to degenerate like this. I created it for intelligent debate, and that's how it started off, which is a credit to the maturity of the people on this forum.
Our Host!