Duck and Cover Forum Index


Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

 Support DAC!
 Some opinion questions for ya'. View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular


Joined: 20 May 2002
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure if this should be under here, or modding. I suppose if it's in the wrong place I'll get yelled at and have it moved.

Okay, well my Fallout: Tactics mod is almost finished with the design doucment. Just a few minor problems that I need to overcome. All the stuff to get acros smy vision is in there, only thing touchy subjects remain. The subjects that I need your help to make sure I'm doign the right thing with.

Are movies worth the download time? Their main perpose would be to give flavor to the mood and give a little bit of background to the characters. They would most likely be rather short.

Unlike FoT, haveing just semi-nameless recuits is going to be a very rare thing. Most of your people are for a one-mission-only basis and not allowed to die or you fail. Is this too far of a reach form the typical FoT game?

Would a delay and maybe an extra staff member be worth a very RPG style to the maps? The campaign as a whole is hopefully going to have this either way.

Would name such as "Fallout Shelter no. ###" be rather looked down upon, due to it's closeness of it to vaults? Granted, there would be real numbers there, but they current aren't thought of.

Should I stay away from speculated items? Such as where things come from, things that aren't completly confermed, and such like that?

The most important one now:

Considering how I want to do this, would it be okay to make this post-Fallout: Tactics? Not really a sequal, but something that happens because of one of the endings.
Likewise, would it be bad to show said ending upon opening the game, so everybody knows what ending is being taken into consideration?



Thanks for your time, since I'm just a lowly n00b.
View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 414
Location: San Jose , CA

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 12:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shadowvalor wrote:
Are movies worth the download time? Their main perpose would be to give flavor to the mood and give a little bit of background to the characters. They would most likely be rather short.


Depends on how big the movies are but I'll probably download a couple of movies for a FOT mod.

Quote:
Unlike FoT, haveing just semi-nameless recuits is going to be a very rare thing. Most of your people are for a one-mission-only basis and not allowed to die or you fail. Is this too far of a reach form the typical FoT game?


A challenge is alway nice it might also be like StarCraft where important people have to live but have a little more offensive power than other people(just a little suggestion :wink: ).

Quote:
Would a delay and maybe an extra staff member be worth a very RPG style to the maps? The campaign as a whole is hopefully going to have this either way.


I would wait so that your maps get some better development done on them.

Quote:
Would name such as "Fallout Shelter no. ###" be rather looked down upon, due to it's closeness of it to vaults? Granted, there would be real numbers there, but they current aren't thought of.


I can suggest that you use a vault that hasn't been used yet but what your saying would be fine with me.

Quote:
Should I stay away from speculated items? Such as where things come from, things that aren't completly confermed, and such like that?


I'd say to just leave things with a little bit of mystery unless you want the player to know exactly what you have or are doing.


Quote:
Considering how I want to do this, would it be okay to make this post-Fallout: Tactics? Not really a sequal, but something that happens because of one of the endings.
Likewise, would it be bad to show said ending upon opening the game, so everybody knows what ending is being taken into consideration?


Post-FOT sounds fine, I think another mod was going with the ending of the rebel mutant army though.
View user's profileSend private message
Kreegle
Guest





PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 12:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

1) I don't mind movies. You could think about an option for those poor saps who don't have broadband, but...

2) Doesn't bother me at all.

3) I don't quite understand what you're after...

4) Again, doesn't bother me.

5) It's best not to try and spin the universe to fit in with your mod - but feel free to be a little adventurous smile

6) Nope, again, I don't mind

Good luck with it!
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 1017
Location: Stone of Light Land

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 12:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Feel free to release it as is. However you could make the movies a seperate download so people with slower machines/less available time to download just skip. It's better to release a not so good map, than no map at all. At least you get to learn something from possible mistakes, its not like its a commercial product! smile
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular


Joined: 20 May 2002
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Depends on how big the movies are but I'll probably download a couple of movies for a FOT mod.

They most likely won't be all that large. They'll most likely only be the things I can't do though gameplay.

Quote:
A challenge is alway nice it might also be like StarCraft where important people have to live but have a little more offensive power than other people(just a little suggestion ).

The 'unique' people usually have a custom item that can only be equiped by them, and some extra perks. Al their SPECIAL stats and skills are standard. What extra they have a little more than devasating, however.

Quote:
I can suggest that you use a vault that hasn't been used yet but what your saying would be fine with me.

Originally, it as going to be a vault. After some consideration I've decided it can't be a vault, because they are exparaments. Instead it's a government bunker, houseing some of the US's more important people and military figureheads. Don't worry, I'm doing my best not to make it as cheesy as that sounds.

Quote:
Post-FOT sounds fine, I think another mod was going with the ending of the rebel mutant army though.

Nothing to do with the rebal mutant army. I think I'm going to skip the "what happened last time" so the player is more unsure of what's going on. I've already rewriten the design doucment to provide a more interesting bad guy than what I had originally planned. Also, I guess rather than Pos-FoT, it could be considered more Post Fallout2, as there are some allusions to events in that game as well. Same diffrence, though.

Quote:
It's best not to try and spin the universe to fit in with your mod - but feel free to be a little adventurous

I'll try. I don't want to piss off the other hardcore Fallouters, ya'know.

Thanks for your opinions. I appricate it.
View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 1017
Location: Stone of Light Land

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shadowvalor wrote:
I'll try. I don't want to piss off the other hardcore Fallouters, ya'know.


Hmm, I concider myself a hardcore Fallouter(since I am fanatic about anything FO), but can't really think of how you could piss me off, with releasing, something I "might" not like.

Let's be reasonable here.
If I don't like a game/mod, I don't play it, period. If I don't like a movie, I'll think twice about seeing another from the same director. I don't like a TV program(me), I use the remote. I don't see why people should behave like sharks or cannibals. We could restrict hooliganism, can't we control our other brutal instincts?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular


Joined: 20 May 2002
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 5:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Flamescreen wrote:

Hmm, I concider myself a hardcore Fallouter(since I am fanatic about anything FO), but can't really think of how you could piss me off, with releasing, something I "might" not like.

Let's be reasonable here.
If I don't like a game/mod, I don't play it, period. If I don't like a movie, I'll think twice about seeing another from the same director. I don't like a TV program(me), I use the remote. I don't see why people should behave like sharks or cannibals. We could restrict hooliganism, can't we control our other brutal instincts?


I thought about keeping my mouth shut here, but oh well.
Awhile ago, there was a post on the Vault13 news page, with them makeing a big thing- A big hooray thing- about a mod going under. It was Fallout 2.5 if I remember correctly.
To tell you the truth, that kinda put me off to the whole Fallout community, as it was very uncommunity like. I don't know who the creator of the Fallout 2.5 mod was, but I was already somewhat against the person who posted the news. Mainly because of how I have seen him act before.
Since then, I forget who posted that, and I don't care to remember because I would rather just be on even or friendly terms with everyone I can be right now.

Anyway, I'm sorry to say not everyone has the same feelings you do.
View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 2102
Location: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 7:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well that was the gang over at V13 who had a disagreement with Dolo - the guy that planned on making Fallout 2 1/2. So they had a personal vendetta against him. They are a very small minority and the map rat community here at DAC would never be that hypercritical about someone else's work. It's very counterproductive.

While those individuals have migrated over to DAC in recent weeks, I wouldn't listen to their critiques or let them sway you from your work. Just stay dedicated to your vision and be happy with what you do accomplish. It is always more than what the critics are capable of.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
endocore
Regular
Regular


Joined: 21 Apr 2002
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 10:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I completely concur with the advice offered by Flamescreen and Jimmyjay86. In response to all the topics you're soliciting opinions on in the initial post of this thread, my two cents worth is that you should focus only on making a campaign that you yourself will enjoy and be satisfied with. If you do this, you will find that many others will also enjoy and appreciate the campaign if you decide to share it with other mappers/players. Focus on a vision of a game that you personally think will be fun to play, and then make it happen.

Part of the problem with Fallout Tactics as it was released was that it tried to be all things to all people (so to speak), and of course failed miserably in that respect. Given that everyone's definition of what constitutes a "fun" game is unique and personal, if you try to incorporate too much of what you think others may enjoy into your maps you will probably end up with games that lack focus. Furthermore, given the time involved in making an FOT campaign, I think it's hard to stay committed to such a project unless you enjoy it on an intensely personal level, and such commitment may wane if you spend hours trying to do things in a map only for the purpose of making your map palatable to as wide an audience as possible. As someone with an existing body of work out there for download I assure you that you will spend far more time playing your own map(s) than anyone else ever will, and that you should not expect much response to your work other than from the "regular" map rats who frequent the FOT mapping forum here at Duck and Cover. Therefore in my opinion it's just not an effective use of your time as a hobbyist to do anything other than make a map that will primarily be highly entertaining for yourself. If your maps don't suit other players, don't worry--they can their own maps, too, and hopefully will do so.

As for the "FOT sucks" crowd, I wouldn't give any thought whatsoever to attempting to tailor your maps to them, because the fact of the matter is that they aren't going to play them anyway. I think it's evident from their rantings over time that no possible game, no matter how sublime, could ever be made using the FOT engine that could ever possibly satisfy them, and that it's a waste of time to even attempt to do so. Those folks aren't interested at all in what you might do with FOT, they're only interested in venting their disappointment and anger with Interplay. Therefore their concerns should not enter into the your design philosophy at all.

Endocore
View user's profileSend private message
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular


Joined: 20 May 2002
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 11:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Having just wasted one of my best friend with guass rifles and vindicator miniguns, I don't feel half bad.
Better than I did before. I can't say that some of the replies here didn't boost my feelings, and confidence in the FoT community.

Sure, I'll be the person who will play it the most. I'll be the one that remembers how much of a bitch that map was. I'll be the person who will be the first to say "that doesn't look right."
Perhaps me and a few other people, depending if I gather any sort of help.

True, it's my story, putting aside the baseline Fallout elements.

Yet, games are made for people have to fun playing. If people don't play it, they can't have fun, and it's completely pointless. Most of my questson shave to do with pointless stuff that I could do without.
I don't need fully rendered movies that take an entire day to render in 3D Studio. I have a picture a thousand times more vivid in my head.
I don't care what the name is, the game is what it is.

Public input helps things evolve as a whole as well. I don't plan on taking into consideration what everyone says, but if you look up at the items posted in reply, they're pretty much what I expected.
If I didn't ask that last question, the final 'boss' in my design document and sketchbook wouldn't be near as awsome as he is now.

Thanks for your advice Endocore. I appriciate it.
Now, I must return to helping my friend so I don't utter decimate him next time around in FoT.
View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


Jump to:  



View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group