Half-Life 2 benchmarks released, trailer inside.

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Half-Life 2 benchmarks released, trailer inside.

Post by Neon Dingo »

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=3619

The filesize of this trailer is massive. It's 116MB. It's not that long, but in my opinion it's worth the download just to see the SHINY OBJECTS.

It's basically to show off the lighting and textural effects in HL2.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1863

Here's a really good article about the HL2 benchmarks.

Interesting to know: The Radeon 9800 kicked the GeForce FX's ass. In fact, even the 9600 kicked its ass.

nVidia claims the next batch of drivers will fix this problem and give you 1,000 free hugs. I'm pretty skeptical about this.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

They always claim it's the drivers and the next batch will always make it better. You can only tweak something so much.

HL 2 comes out on my birthday, but regretably I'm not going to buy it just yet. I've got iron out some troubles with the company not sending me my freaking computer parts.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I'm unsure, cancelled my order last night. Until I hear all this shit about steam worked out I think I'll try toee, then stalker. I'll save hl2 until I can get it for a smaller price.
:chew:
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Steam... Vivendi sees potential to fuck some more money out of the people who already bought the game... Because it's so popular.

People hate Steam, and it will die undoubtedly.

God damn it.
Banko
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Banko »

steam always crashes on me. it's a pos and stalkers graphic are better then hl2's. hl2's grpahics are trash.. they ook like ut2k3 with some doom 3 feautres....
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

I tried the wonders of Steam today.

instalation went nuts, crashed three times after that, it generaly gave me the impression of beeing the worse piece of crap Valve ever devised :rant:

Now that i found out my GeForce FX won`t run the damn game i won`t buy it, and move on to other things.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Screw you filefront, you used to be cool. now your just another fascist "wait in line" site.

"Your 5 minute Download window has expired: try again?"-- after waiting in line for 190 minutes, here comes another 190 minutes... ahrg

I'm not gonna buy HL2, it would be too much of an investment, I would need all new internal hardware for my comp, and plus steam moved in and you know about steam. so there.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Banko wrote:steam always crashes on me. it's a pos and stalkers graphic are better then hl2's. hl2's grpahics are trash.. they ook like ut2k3 with some doom 3 feautres....
not really.................
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

the beta of steam worked wonderfully for me, but since (just like when they released the beta) valve's servers are overloaded there has been alot of problems with it. Took some effort, but I got it working okay now *knock on wood*
Nuclear Ghandi wrote:People hate Steam, and it will die undoubtedly.
Valve has phased out Won, they now have steam. I highly doubt it will "die".
Nuclear Ghandi wrote:Steam... Vivendi sees potential to fuck some more money out of the people who already bought the game... Because it's so popular.
What the crap are you talking about? If you already own the game you won't need to buy it again. The only way they'll make money off of steam is with future games it will allow you to buy them over steam, meaning you won't have to go to a brick and mortar store to get it. Sounds like an interesting idea to me, I'll be curious to know how it turns out as well.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Briosafreak wrote:I tried the wonders of Steam today.

instalation went nuts, crashed three times after that, it generaly gave me the impression of beeing the worse piece of crap Valve ever devised :rant:

Now that i found out my GeForce FX won`t run the damn game i won`t buy it, and move on to other things.
Who says a Geforce FX won't run the game?
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

The benchmarks. HL2 runs like shit on GeForce FXes.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Banko
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Banko »

i tihnk those benchmarks ar e flawed when teh highest performign card at a reasonable only gets like like 50 - 60 fps... valve is stupid. I'll be laughing if this game flops...
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by InvisibleMonkey »

It won't, I mean it's Half-Life2. But, yeah Nvidia is a huge cash whore, it's all quantity over quantity.

Radeon > GeForce
Irony is a cruel, sadistic bitch.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Briosafreak wrote:I tried the wonders of Steam today.

Like POOPERSCOOPER said, who said GeforceFX won't run Half-Life 2? It seems to prefer Radeon over Nvidia, but it will work on both. And anyways there is absolutely no way you can't buy Half-2 and move on to other things. Half-Life 2 is an intricale part of fulfilling your life, at least it is in my life... that's sad. I prefer Radeon over Nvidia.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

If any of you would take the time to read the article you'd know that nVidia worked closely with Valve to ensure it would work perfectly (albeit on lower settings). They had to make some huge sacrifices, but in case you didn't know, gameplay makes the game, not the graphics.

...but the GeForce FX still blows and I'm buying a Radeon 9800 Pro!

I learned my lesson wasting $500 on a Celeron PC and $100 on a GeForce4 MX... I'm going for the best I can get.
i tihnk those benchmarks ar e flawed when teh highest performign card at a reasonable only gets like like 50 - 60 fps... valve is stupid. I'll be laughing if this game flops...
Or maybe "teh highest performign card" can barely handle it because the game is so advanced and ahead of its time? They're really pushing the envelope here, and that's a good thing for the game industry.

Someone said earlier that HL2 has crappy graphics. Please report to a euthanasia center immediately.

Half-Life 2 is going to sell like hot cakes, no matter how demanding the hardware requirements are or how much Steam blows.

I heard somewhere that you're going to have to subscribe to Steam.

Steam needs to stop being buggy. It worked perfect in the days of beta. What the hell happened?

I actually liked it back then. The messenger was really great.

Edit: OK, so Steam isn't a subscription-based service after all. Fuck the petition. It's Steam's first day. Of course it's going to have some problems, especially when it has what the Simpsons likes to call "Three Stooges Syndrome."
Last edited by Neon Dingo on Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Since it's not even been out for long yet, and they're still working on perfecting it, and it's going to be free, I don't see why we need to go signing an online petition against it. Most of the people who signed that petition signed it because they thought they were going to have to pay for Steam. Personally if Steam get's patched up nicely and works fast, I have no problems with it.

As for suicide bombers and the U.N. I think we don't need the U.N. to stop suicide bombers, if something needs doing the U.S. will do it on it's own, Bring Em On! Screw the world and their opinions, ours is the opinion that matters!
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I think I'll trade a radeon 9600 for my geforce fx WHOOAAA D0000000D

we'll see eh 10fps on next-gen cards MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH SUBSYSTEMS
:chew:
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Neon Dingo wrote:If any of you would take the time to read the article you'd know that nVidia worked closely with Valve to ensure it would work perfectly (albeit on lower settings). They had to make some huge sacrifices, but in case you didn't know, gameplay makes the game, not the graphics.

...but the GeForce FX still blows and I'm buying a Radeon 9800 Pro!

I learned my lesson wasting $500 on a Celeron PC and $100 on a GeForce4 MX... I'm going for the best I can get.
Or maybe "teh highest performign card" can barely handle it because the game is so advanced and ahead of its time? They're really pushing the envelope here, and that's a good thing for the game industry.

Someone said earlier that HL2 has crappy graphics. Please report to a euthanasia center immediately.

Half-Life 2 is going to sell like hot cakes, no matter how demanding the hardware requirements are or how much Steam blows.

I heard somewhere that you're going to have to subscribe to Steam.

Steam needs to stop being buggy. It worked perfect in the days of beta. What the hell happened?

I actually liked it back then. The messenger was really great.

Edit: OK, so Steam isn't a subscription-based service after all. Fuck the petition. It's Steam's first day. Of course it's going to have some problems, especially when it has what the Simpsons likes to call "Three Stooges Syndrome."
Fanboy.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Nah not really... HL2 has alright graphics, kinda like NOLF 2, but I've seen so much media being tossed around that I've decided to stop expecting much from it, and let myself be amazed when I'm actually playing it.

Steam = Shit.

They should never have proposed the idea, goddamn bastards... they're killing off low-connection users that way!!

Haven't tried benchmark yet.... Fileshack = shit... made two accounts now, none of them work...

Regarding the graphics card wars: The 5900FX has the potential to outrun the Radeon cards.... BUT WHO'S MAKING THE BETTER DRIVERS NOW, HUH???? nvidia is pwned in this round.
Testicular Pugilist
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

The fucking absolute top-of-the-line GeForce FX card runs Half-Life 2 at thirty three FPS. And that's with no anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering, something anyone who owns a high-end video card should damn well expect to use. HL2 is going to run like crap on nVidia's top of the line model while soaring on ATI's mid-range one.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Our Host!