Is DAC dead, or...

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Is DAC dead, or...

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Is DAC dead/dying, or is there just nothing at all happening in the Fallout world...Or MOD world...Or game world...NMA is still updating daily.

Have our news wranglers gone on strike/holiday?

Noticed this on NMA...Doesn't look great, but it's fallouty:

http://salus.cubewarfare.com/index.html
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I prefer that both sites don't have the same news all of the time, it makes it seem as if they are competing. It's probably just a busy time of year as people start school and try to pack in the last fun activities of summer.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I'm still around (sort of), but almost nothing has been going on this past week (aside from the usual stalker screenshots all over the web). I can tell you new stuff is just around the corner. A Fallouty RPG type game is gonna be announced in the next few days to a week, and DAC is supposedly getting stuff directly from the developers. So that should keep me busy for a while.

I think a little break was ok.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

All the really important Fallout 3 news is announced on DAC as well as NMA, so it doesn't matter. I don't bother looking at the rest of NMA except for the news anymore (too boring). DAC's hardly dead.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

I don't bother looking at the rest of NMA except for the news anymore (too boring).
Really? We`ve reached the levels of posting we had early last year, the last really active period on the forums,so it`s hardly boring these days. But DAC is more about the forums and the community, and NMA about news and info, so they complement eachother quite well, gives a nice balance to the Fallout community.

And DAC doesn`t seem dead, NMA had periods of over two weeks with no news for a while, and soon got back to normality.
Last edited by Briosafreak on Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Yes I realize that, but almost all of the NMA community stuff is spam, and it isn't even interesting and/or funny spam, just mindless spam. And if I want do discuss info I can do so on DAC already, it's not like the discussions don't happen. I rest my case.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

You got to be kidding, ask On the Bounce if the discussions he`s having there are mindless spam.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Actually there seem to be more BIS developers chatting over at NMA where they don't stop here as often. And there probably is more spam here than at NMA.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I don't see why DAC should post all the forum bits. First off, we just haven't got brave souls like Brios and Dan at NMA to scour the IPLY forums for relevant bits. And if we still decided to do that kind of news, we'd just have pages and pages of stuff copy pasted from NMA. I think it's best if we leave the gruntwork to the NMA boys, God bless 'em.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Atoga, Briosafreak is right. There's actually quite a bit of good debate/discussion going on over at NMA. There are some intelligent, educated people there that have good, involved discussions. That's not to say that there isn't any spam or spammers, but on the whole the forums are pretty decent.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I don't see much of a discussion over there. Most of the news doesn't get any comment and there's not much stuff speculating on Fallout 3. Sure it has 4too but that's about it.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

atoga wrote:I don't see much of a discussion over there. Most of the news doesn't get any comment and there's not much stuff speculating on Fallout 3.
Are we talkin' just the news forums, or the forums in general?
atoga wrote:Sure it has 4too but that's about it.
What more do you want? Free cyber-hookers or something?! "Me byte you long time, GI!" :lol:

OTB
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

OTB wrote:Are we talkin' just the news forums, or the forums in general?
All the forums.
4too, while extremely witty, can't hold down the fort all on his own.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

atoga wrote:
All the forums.
There's plenty of discussion going on. Look at the threads on Guns, Religion, Imperialism, etc. Those are involved topics that aren't spammed w/less-than-witty one-lines and/or flames. People are putting plenty of thought into them.
atoga wrote:4too, while extremely witty, can't hold down the fort all on his own.
Nice of you to say he's witty. Most of the people on these forums think he's whacked and/or stoned out of his gourd. (That's just because they don't get his allusions, though. Not to many people on these forums that can allude Jung in one breath, and crack a dick joke in the next.)

I don't suppose that you read the posts by people like welsh, Sander, or Kharn, to name just a few? Or is it that you do, but have weighed them in the balance and found them wanting?

OTB
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

OnTheBounce wrote:There's plenty of discussion going on. Look at the threads on Guns, Religion, Imperialism, etc. Those are involved topics that aren't spammed w/less-than-witty one-lines and/or flames. People are putting plenty of thought into them.
Well some people might think religion, guns, and lasers are dope as a rope, but I find it's actually rather boring. Especially with some of the idiots over there.
OTB wrote:Nice of you to say he's witty. Most of the people on these forums think he's whacked and/or stoned out of his gourd. (That's just because they don't get his allusions, though. Not to many people on these forums that can allude Jung in one breath, and crack a dick joke in the next.)
I always just assumed, when someone would say he "doing drugs" or "has been smoking something" or "needs to put down the crack pipe", they're just saying it because using phrases such as those makes you a king of comedy.
OTB wrote:I don't suppose that you read the posts by people like welsh, Sander, or Kharn, to name just a few?
Those guys are pretty good posters, and there's a few others that seem okay. But mainly I think of the NMA forum as a place for the order or commenting on FO3 threads on I'play. So I go in there everyone once in a while and skim the threads, if something catches my eye I read it, but most likly won't post anything anyway.

Pretty much the same way I read the 'Codex too in point of fact. DaC's the only forum I read in almost it's entirety, and that's largely just an old habit.

(of course much <3 for Brios)
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

4too a very cool guy. I love reading his prose, it's a real treat. He's smart, funny, and the kind of person I'd love to hang around in real life.
axel wrote:Well some people might think religion, guns, and lasers are dope as a rope, but I find it's actually rather boring. Especially with some of the idiots over there.
They can be interesting discussions, but the things said there are just generic internet discussions where people raise random, often off-topic points and prove nothing. They're hardly interesting, and it's not like anything is being said that I don't already know. Boring.

Still, NMA has its cool parts, Brios is indeed a good guy, and his news royally pwns, and from what I've seen, Kharn, Welsh & the rest seem pretty smart. But frankly, it's not worth my time.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Duck and cover is a great website, but you can't expect something that focuses on a narrow topic like, "Post-Apocalyptical" Games to be very active, although DAC is pretty active for this subject matter. All in all I'd rather have real news being posted once or twice a week, than some random posts being posted every day, like some websites do.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

What I was getting at is that DAC had new news on a daily basis for the past......7 months.....Then the past two weeks, it's slowed way the hell down. I wasn't bitching..I was just asking....DAC is a damn fine site...When I needed info that V13 didn't have, I came here...When V13 shut down, I came here for the forums and the news..One big happy site...Never really got into NMA...Maybe I'm biased.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

atoga wrote:They can be interesting discussions, but the things said there are just generic internet discussions where people raise random, often off-topic points and prove nothing. They're hardly interesting, and it's not like anything is being said that I don't already know. Boring.
I was kind of surprised when you suddenly went *poof* and were just gone after reasoneably active posting. Ah well...You shouldn't have insulted Malky...Heh :p

Hmmm, perhaps I will paraphrase a man wiser than myself to aptly describe the situation:

Eric Cartman: "Screw you guys...I'm going home."
All in all I'd rather have real news being posted once or twice a week, than some random posts being posted every day, like some websites do.
Good, subtle hinting there.

And: 4too does rule, but his posts do give me a head-ache.

Also; I've known DaC as long as I've known NMA (years 'pon years 'pon years), yet I've never gotten into DaC either. It's a good thing too that these two places are so different, they fill up each other's "flaws" (so to speak) and this way, more people can find their niche. Those that don't like the NMA spirit just go here, and vice versa.

Oh, such happy people.

PS: OTB, Nabokov is a pedophile. Ehehehe.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Kharn wrote:PS: OTB, Nabokov is a pedophile. Ehehehe.
Only a pseudo-lapine deity would think to say that. :lol:

OTB

PS Er...shouldn't you be using the past tense, Kharn?
Our Host!