Pink Floyd's Best Album?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Pink Floyd's Best Album?

Post by iohkus »

Piper at the gates of dawn - by Syd Barret

gg,norm

post Barret floyd = suck.
bey.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Dark Side of the Moon. Yeah, it's popular and blah blah blah, but I still look at it as their best. Wish You Were here is a close second.

I can't listen to Piper without laughing my ass off, especially "Bike". lol.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

You could have made this topic in General Discussion, you know. I'd move it myself, but THE (wo)MAN WON'T LET ME! Anyways, I'm too young to know which album a given song came from. But hey, my favourite Pink Floyd track is probably Comfortably Numb. What's that from?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

The Wall. That's a good movie too. One of their better albums as well.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

i don't know, pink floyd w/ barret is totally different, i like it more with because he's so fucking spaced out and genuinely fucked in the head with all his LSD induced songs, no bling bling, just genuinely FUCKED in the head. how many artists are like that now?

barret brought out some fucked up trippy shit in the first album, floyd without barret is like the doors without jim morrison, led zeppelin without bonham, sabbath without ozzy

but i must admit even floyd without barret is still quite good... just not as good as it was with barret.

"Wish You Were Here" was actually a song about wishing that barret was still in the group, but that's fucking bullshit, if they were his real friends they wouldn't have let him get so fuckign carried away with drugs and let him get sent to a mental asylum for the better part of his life
bey.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

There's a tape of Barret tripping off mushrooms you can buy. It's called Syd Barret's First Trip. I bought it cuz I was interested, but it's like ten minutes long, and there's no sound, plus I don't even know what he looks like, so it could have fucking been anybody for all I know. I pawned it for three bucks.

The rest of the band was probably doing the same stuff he was, he just got way out of control and reacted worse to it than the rest of them. Acid effects people differently, and Syd's honestly the only person I've ever heard of that's done enough to be institutionalized for the rest of his life. I know people who are on permanents trips, rumors have been started around town that I'm on one actually (can't really prove it either way, to tell you the truth), but they're somewhat functional.

I just hate when people are like, "dude, what's your favorite Floyd album?"

And I say Dark Side. And they're like, "but dude...Atom Heart Mother! It comes with this weird German thing I think is a Satanic Ritual or something!"

"Yeah, it's a recipie for cake. The album kind of sucks."

"But dude, Works! Every song on there is killer!"

"Works is just a compilation album. I have all those CDs anyway."

"Dude, Echoes...Ummagumma"

And so on. Alot of people who get into Floyd get all excited when they find a new CD they think is rare or something and think no one else has heard it. Just because it's an obscure Floyd CD doesn't mean it's better than the other ones, just that it's obscure. I'm not saying that's the case with you, I'm just saying that's how it usually works. Maybe you do like Piper better than the other ones, I just thought most of the songs were cheesy or just weird for the sake of being weird.

Dark Side of the Moon, on the other hand, is a masterpiece. Not only the best Floyd album (in my opinion), but also one of the best albums ever.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

satanisgreat wrote: And I say Dark Side. And they're like, "but dude...Atom Heart Mother! It comes with this weird German thing I think is a Satanic Ritual or something!"

"Yeah, it's a recipie for cake. The album kind of sucks."
Didn't Tool do something similar in Ænema? Only differance was that Tool gave the recipe for Weed Brownies ((Eggs supposibly neutralize the effect, so you hear Maynard constantly yell "Keine Eier" or "No Eggs!")).
Harriers for the cup.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Wolfman Walt wrote: Didn't Tool do something similar in Ænema? Only differance was that Tool gave the recipe for Weed Brownies ((Eggs supposibly neutralize the effect, so you hear Maynard constantly yell "Keine Eier" or "No Eggs!")).
Yeah, something like that. Only the one in Atom Heart Mother was an actual piece of paper that came with the CD.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

when i say all of post-barret floyd sucks i really mean that it's great, just not as great as their 1st

i challenge anyone to find a more spaced out tripped out album.
bey.
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by DJ Slamák »

I really dislike psychedelia. I mean, it's creative and all, but "not to be used with psychedelia" is one of the big-print points in my Lifetime Ear Warranty. No offence to Barrett lovers, he has some more... "traditional" songs too, and I can listen to those, but psychedelia... no, thanks.

As for the albums, my top five are (listed randomly) Dark Side, The Final Cut, The Wall, WYWH, and AMLOR (yes, I even like some post-Waters PF, though The Division Bell was rather crap). Beyond that, it's a blend.

Hey, I never said I was an expert.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Pink Floyd's best album?

- there is none
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Yes, yes, Cradle of Filth or Slipknot or Metallica or some other shitty hard rock band, Kash. Hooray. Now buzz off.

I have to agree with satan here--while Pink Floyd has had really great songs on all their albums, Dark Side of the Moon is probably the one that pwns my face the most consistently.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

The Barrett influence was very spacy and produced some very good ambient tracks. I enjoy a lot of the early stuff with Waters. Animals is a very good concept album and just about any one of them is great to listen to whilst stoned.
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

Wish you were here...
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

If you don't like it Kashluk, you don't have to reply.

Although I really like almost all of their albums, a few stand out as best.
I really like Atom Heart Mother, mainly the Atom Heart Mother track.

Meddle, of course. Echoes is just perfect, but the rest of the album is also good.

Wish you Were Here was great for obvious reasons.

So was the Dark Side of the Moon.

Another one I really like is Animals.

The Wall was great, but I liked it less then the rest of their albums.
Bridgeburner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Bridgeburner »

i also like dark side of the moon the best.

my father was at the 'legendary' the wall concert in london. kewl huh?
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Kashluk wrote:Pink Floyd's best album?

- there is none
I thought it would never happen, but I'm going to have to agree with Kash on something...

Having seen two geezers actually get into a fist fight over this very question some years ago, I borrowed "Wish you were here" and "Dark side of the Moon" from a mate and totally failed to see what all the hooha was about...
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Viktor wrote:
Kashluk wrote:Pink Floyd's best album?

- there is none
I thought it would never happen, but I'm going to have to agree with Kash on something...

Having seen two geezers actually get into a fist fight over this very question some years ago, I borrowed "Wish you were here" and "Dark side of the Moon" from a mate and totally failed to see what all the hooha was about...
As with any art you really have to follow the progression of the music from the earliest albums to their last. Their direction will start to make sense then. It also helps to eat a couple psylocibin mushrooms while listening to it too....
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Jimmyjay86 wrote: As with any art you really have to follow the progression of the music from the earliest albums to their last. Their direction will start to make sense then. It also helps to eat a couple psylocibin mushrooms while listening to it too....
I've never quite seen the appeal of any art form that requires the audience to take drugs to "get it".
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

i got into floyd, the doors and zeppelin all at the same time whilist visiting my uncle, i was 13 and not on drugs, we just drove around in his limo through atlantic city and listened to it, u don't need drugs to enjoy it, but it sure sounds a whole lot better with drugs, just like everything else

i just got 2 grams of shrooms because i'm a shroom newb3, my friend says 3 is really good but 2 is good for newb3s.

i hope i don't get institutionalized like barret :(

drugs are the best thing to happen to humanity.

i plan on looping a whole bunch of floyd and zeppelin when i trip, but i don't know if it's a good idea to do it inside?

and who the fuck is kushuluck? he sucks.
bey.
Our Host!