Scan 32

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Scan 32

Post by satanisgreat »

I have a couple programs on my computer that need Scan32.exe to run. I think I fucked up awhile ago and deleted it somehow. Does anyone know where I can get it? I've tried download.com and googled it, but I can't find it.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

A quick run through Yahoo with the keywords "Download Scan32.exe" showed me that Scan32.exe is a program used by virus scanners. I couldn't find the file for you to download, but you might want to consider reinstalling it from your antivirus cd, assuming you have one.

Chances are you didn't delete it, but a virus called Bugbear did, or so claim more then just a few sites on the list...
Hello New Jersey
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

I don't think I have a virus... well, I'm pretty sure my computer doesn't, anyway.

And I don't have the original CD, either. Oh, well. Meh. Whoever gives me a virus is wasting their time, anyway.
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

On a similar note, my IEDLL.EXE file is corrupt. I have no fucking clue what it does, as everything works fine, but seeing the notice every time I start my computer is getting annoying...
One day...
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

When I start up my computer, I see an installer trying to install something. Microsoft Works, I think. I don't have the CD and it needs it to install whatever it's trying to install. Pain in the ass.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

That sounds like a virus to me, dude...I've had them at random times for the past 12 years...I used to make them...Find some freeware anti-virus and do a quick scan.

I had one for about 10 seconds last night...But these things are kind of predictable, so I found all the files it had installed, deleted them and the registry entries it put together before it even started doing anything. I take it back...My computer did roar at me...And the monitor made some pretty colors...But I cleaned it out with no problem...I got it from connecting to my friend's network last night...One of the 6 computers on his system had this thing. I just happened to have edited his router settings to open the exact port the virus needed to get to my computer. Pain.

If you don't want an anti-virus program, then find a good registry editor..That's an easy way to find a modern virus.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

viruses suck- my parents' computer has turned into a virus-magnet, and they won't be deleted (well, some of them). Can't delete them from the disks either, as they suddenly become write-protected. Now THAT's a pain in the ass!
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Files that are write protected can be deleted by going into start mode, or starting the computer at the DOS prompt..Or you could find a program that gets through write protection and can delete the files...They're available.

The best protection against getting a virus on your computer is to not get onto the internet, don't get email, and don't download anything (on your computer)....Just find some friends with broadband, download whatever you want with their connection, scan the files, put them onto a CDR, and take them home.

If you absolutely can't live without posting to DAC or doing internet searches for projects, local libraries often have internet connections for free, as do most universities (just have to have a form of ID and sign in).
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

I also have a weird virus, everytime I turn on my computer a message pop's up and says something like, "I could deleted your anti virus program, but this is not the case" or "I could disable your firewall" once it even said "Hey I'm getting bored sitting here, maybe you should report me :)".

Fucking weirdo's out there
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

I suggest you talk with your online friends and find TEH MOL3 because this sounds like an edit in the startup rather then a real virus. Maybe SOMEBODY gave you Backdoor, it's a very hillarious trick 16 years old like to do.

Try running msconfig.exe and disabling something fishy in the startup... That's all I can think of
Hello New Jersey
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

I've tried that but all the "fishy" files just enable themselves again.

F..r..i..e..n..d..s?
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Yeah, the idiots you chat with to who write "lol i nokw its cool" a lot
Hello New Jersey
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

the guardian wrote:Yeah, the idiots you chat with to who write "lol i nokw its cool" a lot
What the IRC #Fallout channel guys? Even if I did ask them I wouldn't be able to understand what their saying or they would refuse to tell me, I know they love me but they don't have to spread their love into my computer system.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Another similar one; What the Hell is DDhelp?

Every time a 3d program crashed on my PC (generally a repetetive crash that occurs every time a certain event occurs) the game dissapears and I;m told DDhelp has crashed. Then I must reboot before i can run any program utilising a 3d engine again.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Quick search for DDhelp have revealed to me that DDhelp connects with Directx.

Reinstall Directx, could do the trick.
Hello New Jersey
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Done that enough times in the past
I think it's just me trying to run games with a minimum spec GF2MX... not too well ventilated. everything too hot, everything making weird noises... ack.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Punch the computer.
Worked for me in the past.
Until it stopped.
Hello New Jersey
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Damn, I managed to haiku a reply.
Hello New Jersey
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

I've smashed every part of my PC into oblivion. Infact it's done more good that harm by far.. I used to get a constant freeze-up bug. A solid kick in the right place made the fan judder and start again, and the computer starts workin again. And a nice kick once made the CDROM eat my sister Sims CD. Mwahaahahahahhahah!!!!!! :badgrin:

Although about 1 month later, while the PC was still and tranquil, without so much as a judder or a shake, the CDROM made a few odd noises during my install of FOT...

When i finally removed the cd out by holding the whole tower unit upside down and shaking it. A few splinters, and two halves,.
The splinters had shattered, however the halves were neatly cut with a smooth plastic edge, like an instantly cauterised wound... The only thing i can think of that would do this is a laser of the strength that does't actually exist yet... And I'm sure the reading laser in my CD rom shouldn't even be powerful enough to be visible. However it sliced a CD in half perfectly.

Arr.
Our Host!