so, in 00-01 we had a time traveler from the year 2036

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
StrungOut96
SDF!
SDF!

Post by StrungOut96 »

shutters in thought.
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

The man is clearly intelligent, but from what I've read so far, it is obvious he is not from the future for a few reasons.

1) His style of speech and areas of knowledge do not befit a highly trained military personell. He holds no clear lines regarding leaking information. What lines he draws appear because of personal, moral delemas rather than rules set by his superior officers.

2) His refrences are localized too much on what our generation is taught and remembers. He refrences World War II, but never WWI. He believes in Darwinism. He makes refrences to Waco. His focus is always on the United States.

3) He makes no refrence whatsoever to a catalyst for the Civil War (the terrorist bombings of the World Trade Centers).

4) There is no clear reason why he has come to the past. Any knowedge the new military could not acess then, a single uninfluential man could not access now.
One day...
Evil Natured Robot
Respected
Respected

Post by Evil Natured Robot »

It's important to note that he did say that he was on a different "worldline" than we were (think of Sliders, or Back to the Future 2). His presence doesn't change This hoax is a good one because he more or less covers his ass on the obvious questions.

A neat take on the future, too. This one's a class act.
I'll get you, Yoshimi.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Neon Dingo wrote:Even if this time travel stuff is more than likely a hoax, this raises some really cool discussion points about society.

http://communities.anomalies.net/cgi-bi ... 9&t=000024

Read this, the original BBS posts he made in his brief stint online in 2001.
so this was in 2001? Is he some hobo on the street now, trying to ride his 15 minutes out?
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

bloodbathmaster2 wrote:1) His style of speech and areas of knowledge do not befit a highly trained military personell. He holds no clear lines regarding leaking information. What lines he draws appear because of personal, moral delemas rather than rules set by his superior officers.
That's a pretty good point. I guess one possible explanation is that the Civil War was not between two organized forces, I don't personally believe any force of our citizens could win a standing battle against the modern military, but rather more of a guerilla war. By 2036, there would be a lot of organization showing up, but recall that he talked about society being more locally focused. In all, there's less emphasis on entities like the military, and more emphasis on personal aspects of life: Family oriented life, gathering friends you can trust with your life, and a great deal of "personal" religion.
2) His refrences are localized too much on what our generation is taught and remembers. He refrences World War II, but never WWI. He believes in Darwinism. He makes refrences to Waco. His focus is always on the United States.
Remember, he was supposedly born in 1998. If you examine the life he claims to have led, the largest influence on his morals and beliefs would have been parents who belonged to a generation that espoused those very values.
3) He makes no refrence whatsoever to a catalyst for the Civil War (the terrorist bombings of the World Trade Centers).
That's a very good point. He did have a tendency to be very, very specific in certain areas and general in others, which is very common among 'psychics' and the like. It's quite easy to fill in the details yourself, ie the Patriot Act as someone mentioned or Silveira vs Lockyer.
4) There is no clear reason why he has come to the past. Any knowedge the new military could not acess then, a single uninfluential man could not access now.
Actually, I thought the Unix explanation was fairly clever, and the IBM 5100 machine could be rare enough to warrant coming to the past. The real issue is whether the computer has the abilities he describes. Since it's supposed to be a closely guarded secret, I really doubt it's the case. After all, how would this information be learned in 2036 when it hadn't been learned before?
Literacy is overated.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

This guy sells all sorts of useful time-travel paraphanalia at reasonable prices on his website:

http://www.davesplanet.net/store/
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Well we'll know if its real or not when it hits the year 2006, if no civil war has started in America by then, then it must be bullshit. If he is a Time Traveler then the first thing he would have been told was not to mess with time because it could fuck things up, unless its something like T3 where the future some how helps the war happen or something like that, Time Travels hard to explain :?
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

FJ, as Titor mentioned, it was all about worldlines, like in Back to the Future 2 and such. Covers his ass pretty well, don't you think?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Nobody asked him key overlooked questions. Like "If and when Fallout 3 and Mad Max 4?" came out. "Where they any good?" would be the next logical question.
Harriers for the cup.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

He kept comparing stuff like ww2 and how we didn't know about it, but that was 70 years ago. It wouldn't be to hard to remember events that happened 30 years ago mabye? Even memorable stuff like mentioning 9/11 or sadaam hussein mebbe? If something played such an important part in my life I'd try and learn a little more about it.
:chew:
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Johntitor.com wrote:!!! DID JOHN WARN US ABOUT AN ASTEROID IMPACT? !!!

Is it possible that John Titor warned us of an impending asteroid strike before 2014?

From the CNN article:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/09/0 ... index.html

"Asteroid '2003 QQ47' will be closely monitored over the next two months. Its potential strike date is March 21, 2014, but astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered."

On February 26, 2001 - John Titor was asked about the date of his departure:
"I'm guessing the date of your return to the future is April 19th."

JOHN: That is a day to remember but I was thinking more along the lines of March 21.

Was this John's way of warning us? Did he give the date of an asteroid impact in 2014 that would precede a civil war in 2015?
Was he warning us or something?

He also said something about staying away from Washington DC but I cant find the date anymore.
Destroyer Of Lols
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by Destroyer Of Lols »

Ah yes... I've read almost all of this website...
This was 2000 at the time of the posts and he said in a fax to Art Bell(Radio show host...), that he saw two buildings in New York that didn't exist...

Maybe he was hinting at something?

I choose to take the "time will tell" route on this matter. If this world he talks about really becomes reality, the world will be a much better place indeed...

I basically believe that the breakdown of American society as we know it WILL happen, take the Roman empire for example: Spreading their borders, their culture, their government, their language, and POOF. Gone.

A civil war so soon would not surprise me though... PATRIOT II is so close to being passed, it's insane... Have any of you actually read the predecessor to it, PATRIOT I?

"Just shows you they can FUCK with you anytime they want!"-George Carlin

No shit.
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by InvisibleMonkey »

I don't know, I mean this civil war is less that 2 years away. The kind of thing that is happening now with protests and whatnot has been happening for years. And do you know how many buildings there are in New York, there are tons. And in 33 years a number of things can happen to buildings. And doesn;t thid guy live in Florida? I don't think he would be making many trips to New York. And if there is a World War I doubt they are going to be teaching Geography or World History, especially since the bombs fell in the MAJOR cities. Come to think of it a lot of buildings would be gone in Ney York, I mean it IS a MAJOR city after all...
Irony is a cruel, sadistic bitch.
Destroyer Of Lols
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Well good job! You're a skeptic! So am I!

I did not say that he was right, now did I? I said I will wait.

Also, there is no one named John Titor in Florida, multiple people have tried to track him down. Which is the very reason he wouldn't give out his name. Also, I bet he's lying about living in Florida too...
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Destroyer Of Lols wrote:Well good job! You're a skeptic! So am I!

I did not say that he was right, now did I? I said I will wait.

Also, there is no one named John Titor in Florida, multiple people have tried to track him down. Which is the very reason he wouldn't give out his name. Also, I bet he's lying about living in Florida too...
Didn't he have a relative working for IBM in '75? That's the reason he was sent back in time the 1st place right? Why don't they check out ANY Titor from IBM in 75. Not like they had hundred's of employes back then, even if that mattered.
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Well like the "Destroyer of Lols" said his name may not even be John Titor, at least I think that is what he is saying. Also I wasn't referring to YOU in person, you're so self-absorbed, I was talking about John Titor's little fraud.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

InvisibleMonkey wrote:
Silver wrote:Why don't they check out ANY Titor from IBM in 75. Not like they had hundred's of employes back then, even if that mattered.
Well like the "Destroyer of Lols" said his name may not even be John Titor...
Not to mention that even if this person were a blood relative it wouldn't mean that they had the same last name.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Destroyer Of Lols
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Silver wrote: Didn't he have a relative working for IBM in '75? That's the reason he was sent back in time the 1st place right? Why don't they check out ANY Titor from IBM in 75. Not like they had hundred's of employes back then, even if that mattered.
They've tried that too. The people investigating are at the UFO and Anomalies.net boards.

One of them got a letter back from the technicians that worked on the machine. Though I can't seem to find it at the moment... It's at one of the websites listed at the main John Titor website.

This is the machine: http://online.sfsu.edu/%7Ehl/c.IBM.5100.html
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

InvisibleMonkey wrote:Also I wasn't referring to YOU in person, you're so self-absorbed, I was talking about John Titor's little fraud.
Nag nag nag, and I was talking to you in person? Go be invisible for a while, thanks.
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Sorry I wasn't talking about you Silver I was talking about "Destroyer of Lols"
Our Host!