Compare and Contrast

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by InvisibleMonkey »

Except receptionists, they call "security"

EVEN SECURITY DOESN"T HAVE GUNS!!! What is up with that.
Irony is a cruel, sadistic bitch.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Fallout Junkie wrote:huh?
Just being sarcastic me young lad. But it is the Doom capital, the supposed cause of the Columbine massacre. (Hah, massacre? Barely.)
Last edited by Nuclear Gandhi on Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by InvisibleMonkey »

It's only a massacre cause it was the first of many.
Irony is a cruel, sadistic bitch.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Not a massacre when compare to other OLDER atrocities. HISTORY CAUSES VIOLENCE!
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Back on topic.

Game Rank (my opinion)

1. Half-Life 2 (so freakin amazing)
2. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (a Falloutish underdog)
3. Doom III (hometown developer)
4. Alphawulf Forever (It'll be groundbreaking...when it comes out)
Last edited by Alphawulf on Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

1.S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
2.HL2
3.DOOM 3
4.Uhh, there's a four?

Those are my rankings.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

I'll have to put HL2 as my #1. It looks to be the hot shit that everyone will love right off the bat.
Stalker=1.00000001, Falloutish, and damnright cool.
doom=3.9 not a huge fan of doom... if my dad gets a sweet computer I'll buy it for him, he likes that mindless crap ;)
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

I'm going to sleep. Remember "Alphawulf Forever" the best game that you'll ever play. When it comes out of course.

Screenshot of Alphawulf Forever.
Last edited by Alphawulf on Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

My cousin's played the alpha for doom 3. He says it's really cool. The single player game that is. He says certain things annoyed him. Like the ridiculous amount of smoke that came out of the pistol's barrel. He said the AI was quite decent as well and that imps were a lot trickier to fight than they ever were in Doom.

As far as graphics go. I'd say Halflife looks better. Then again I've little faith for that game. I've little faith in games these days at all. They're good looking games. However gauranteed if they add multiplayer to doom 3 they will ruin it. The time has come for the "fill-your-opponent-with-fifty million-bullets-in-an-absurd-10-second-circle-strafe-festival" to be buried in the past. I haven't liked crackout FPS games like that since 1997. For some reason people (and I'm really tempted to refer to them as idiots) like this style of gameplay.

The inverse kinematics they were going to implement in halflife 2 was promising until they said they'd probably trim it out for multiplayer. I can see why. Still. The concept of these games with life-life graphics having multiplayer which is pretty much exactly like doom or unreal or fucking counterstrike is absurd. It just breaks the illusion of being there. That's more than half the appeal and it's utterly destroyed when you see garbage like that.

I don't know where someone got off saying Doom was mindless and Halflife wasn't. They're both essentially shoot em' ups. Halflife's puzzles were hardly puzzles. Because one is more story oriented makes the "game" itself none the less mindless. It's blowing people's brains out. It's not like it's some kind of military strategy game. All these types of FPS games are cheap thrills.

I want cheap thrills in the form of shooting someone and crippling them in some sort of way. Easily. Not by pumping a million bullets in them. Like shooting someone in the foot unaware while they're wandering around and stalking them as they leave a trail so I can bait and manipulate them. You can't do that in retarded circle strafe festival games. They're repetitive and boring.

So in the end... graphics don't matter to me so much as the experience that they portray. If it sucks. The graphics could be immaculate and I'd still call it horseshit. So I can't really say until I've actually played the games. However out of Doom/Halflife. My outlook for halflife's gameplay is... less optimistic.
Last edited by Burnov on Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

I'm gonna have to go with STALKER since I won't be buying HL2 until it's cheaper and I'm bored with whatever it is I have. And I'm not a big Doom guy. So STALKER get's my vote.
JohnPnP
I play with my P(n)P
I play with my P(n)P

Post by JohnPnP »

Well, HL2 is also at the top of my list. I even have it reserved at my local gameshop.
I am from Texas (Lubbock, actually) and I do own a gun. Several in fact. Although I hunt quite a bit.
EzekielLyne (8:34:01 PM): would you be the one they make fun of?
EzekielLyne (8:34:31 PM): like "This here is John, the retarded gamer, he enjoys madden 2005, and grand theft auto
EzekielLyne (8:35:02 PM): and he is eagerly expecting the arrival of the next Lara Croft game
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Alphawulf wrote:I'm going to sleep. Remember "Alphawulf Forever" the best game that you'll ever play. When it comes out of couse.

http://www.nukewinter.com/screens/pc/dn ... -large.jpg
That's a screenshot of Duke Nukem Forever.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Anything with "forever" in the title is gonna suck ;)
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Based on what I've seen, Stalker gets my vote because I like the setting better then HL2 or Doom 3
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

Alphawulf wrote:
I'm going to sleep. Remember "Alphawulf Forever" the best game that you'll ever play. When it comes out of couse.

http://www.nukewinter.com/screens/pc/dn ... -large.jpg

That's a screenshot of Duke Nukem Forever.
Lol! Oh my god. Is that what they're calling it now? That's the most retarded shit ever. You're right though... dnf10-large... sure sounds like Duke Nukem Forever to me. I'll bet that's what they call it in the UK or something. They always change product names to something retarded there when they get exported. Probably because brits hate, audacious ass-kicking american stereotypes. I think Duke is cool. I've changed my vote. Even though DNF looks inferior. It gets my vote as most promising, assuming they actually release the fucker.

... however calling it alphawulf forever is hella gay.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Burnov wrote:... however calling it alphawulf forever is hella gay.
This is the first I've ever heard of it being called Alphawulf, as far as I know, it's still in development and still being called Duke Nukem Forever. (and that screenshot is extremely old)
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

It was just a bad joke. It's not called Alphawulf Forever. It's an old screen of "Duke Nukem Forever" using a Quake Engine I think. Are there any newer screens with a different engine?
Last edited by Alphawulf on Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Vicious stupidity nuked.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Nuclear Gandhi wrote:AHEM, you guys fucking forgot someone. (I shwear, quit leaving out S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)

Don't fucking tell me these graphics are worse than HL2 or Doom 3, because if you do, I'll kill you.
If you are looking for a sidekick, ... I'm not Muhahah. But I will help you kill them!
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Gladly! You can be SILVER:THE RABID STALKER FAN-BOY!
Our Host!