What should I get?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

What should I get?

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Which game should I get?

Arcanum....I've wanted this since I first saw it..Just never got around to getting it...Now it's $15...

Neverwinter Nights & Expansion...My friends have this...They talk about it all the time..

Gothic 2...I got Gothic 1 the day it was released...Fucking awesome game...I'd have to pre-order this and wait for over a month to get it..

Warcraft 3...I enjoyed the original Warcraft...I loved Warcraft 2...I've heard nothing but positives about Warcraft 3...
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Arcanum. I just bought it. It runs so slow on my computer that it'll probably take the rest of my life to beat unless I upgrade my video card, but from what I've played so far it's awesome. It's basically Fallout with a different setting and a slightly more complicated rule system.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

depends:

Arcanum= made by fallout boys, and is extremely long, and good gameplay/story (never played actually)

NWN= diablo2 crowd/gameplay. I heard bad stuff about this... that it was not so hot.

warcraft3= I hear this game is very complex... if you like RTS' get it, I think it's a great one.

as for gothic, I know nothing.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I'de go with Arcanum. Plus as you said in another post ((I forgot where...though I think it had to do with Arcanum ironically enough)) money is strained and you can nab Arcanum for like 20 bucks.

Neverwinter wasn't bad, but unless you play with some friends, its not that great.

I haven't played Gothic and Warcraft 3 isn't bad, but I shall forever cuss at Battle-net because other people kill my Taurens...regularly. Guess the undead has a hankering for hamburgers.
Harriers for the cup.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

hey

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Arcanum- Get this GAME NOW. I like the game alot it has lots of options, making tons of replays.

NWN- The game is crap, the single player is incredibly boring and feels like they spent very little time making it. If you would like to play fan made mods then you might like it more, because there is alot but most of them are dungeon crawls. Bioware promised they would make high quality mods for the community, but all they gave was a mod with 2 hours of linear gameplay.

Warcraft3- It's a standard blizzard game. Addicting gameplay, but after you play a lot of games you figure there is no variety in the game patterns. It came to the point were everyone did the same thing, and if you tried something differen't in a competitive game you WILL loose unless you greaty overshadow your oppenents skill. I've played thousands of games in WC3 and got pretty high in skill, so I may notice things like that compared to someone who buys it to just play it once in awhile for fun, and not the competition. At the release of WC3 Blizz promised clan tags and online tourments, which they never gave until the expansion, which pissed me off. I've played with the WC3 expansion and it has alot of stuff packed in it, Blizz really tried to fix the problems with the original and they did pretty good, never the less I gave up on it and dont want to get involved into it too much anymore. It's not a complex game, it's newb friendly.

Gothic 2- I never played this or the first one. I would like to try it if I could find the original, supposedly the second is even better(who knew?).
Garf
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Garf »

Download some of their demos and find out. I know arcanum still has one.

I personally couldn't get through the Arcanum demo without quiting due to boredom. Though it has been said to be a really good RPG. I just can't stand the dwarves and magic stuff.

NWN wasn't fun imho.

W3 was alright, little too cartoony for me. I prefer Rise of Nations.

Gothic 1 also has a demo, it's actually a pretty fun game. I remember this guy (I forget his name but I kept calling him Tony) in the game who follows you around and keeps asking all these stupid questions for like hours in the game. I finally got tired of him, took him behind a building in one of the towns and slit his throat. What's neat is after you "kill" someone you have to do a "finishing blow" or they still live, so while he was trying to get up and fighting for his life I promptly stuck my sword on his chest and thrust while saying, "Bye Tony". All 'n all it's a really good game with less linear things then most RPGs. I was surprised at how some of the npcs and factions would double cross you, even setting up elaborate means to kill you. Like you really can't trust anyone. In most RPGs when someone says "Go to Town A and talk with X Person for more info" you go there and it happens, in this game though sometimes you might arrive and are surronded by people wanting to harm you as soon as you say your name. Etc..

Havn't played Gothic 2 yet.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

The one thing to note about Arcanum is the slow start. It took me 3 tries to finally really give it a chance and it turned out to be fucking excellent. The demo bored me. Then I borrowed it....found the same elements from the demo in it...bored. Finally heard many cool things from the same friends I borrowed it from, and I didn't believe it was the same game. Bought it, gave it a serious go and after the first town, the game became interesting and involved. If you want deep you can't go wrong at all with this one. I wouldn't be put off by the 2D graphics as I feel for a tile based system they still look really nice, and the game IS humongous.

NWN is alright...if you like to see things in fully 3D well there you go...and a couple of quest/story elements were well done but its really quite linear. Nowhere as deep as Arcanum...and really, I feel they shouldn't even be in the same category. Anyway, NWN isn't a bad game at all, just a little superficial. I hear the Expansion is a better single player game than the main one, and even a few of the mods are apparently pretty decent, so that extends its life dramatically. This is your casual rpg'er.

W3 as stated above is Blizzard standard fare. Can't really miss but you really only get what you get. Its a fancier version of the first two with some rpg-like elements regarding your 'characters'.

If you loved Gothic 1, I'd say go for 2 then...beyond that I have no opinion.

Cheers
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

Arcanum-Perfect Roleplaying experience. Great system and story.

NWN-Pure utter hyped shit, it does the D&D rules about as good as Dark Alliance did and the single player is just repeated fed-ex quests.

WarCraft 3-Bleh, I didnt like it, it's probably the worst WarCraft. WC2 was okay, because it was simple and quick, but all of them are rather cartoony. My personal favorite RTS games are Age of Mythology and Medieval:Total War.

Gothic 1-Havent played it, but i've heard good things.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I went ahead and preordered the US version of Gothic 2....Should be arriving sometime in early November.....

BTW, Tony's name is actually Mud...And he'll stop bothering you if you just beat him senseless...

If you want to fight in a town and not have everyone gang up on you, put your sword/weapon away and just fist fight..Can't kill anyone, however, no one else gets in on the fight.

German companies make me mad...They released the German version early in the year...Released the UK/English version to the rest of Europe and Australia a few months ago....But gotta wait forever for the US version to come around..
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Arcanum is really a great game that I still play on regular basis. But it has some minor faults like the magic vs technology/guns issue and well.....bugs.

NWN wasn' t that bad considering I never played the whole single player campaign, since it bored me to death after 3 chapters, but I' ve been spending hours on modding with the Aurora Toolset. Man, you really can get to town with that one. Most of the mini-campaigns thingies I make for my friends aren' t linear at all. If you like modding, buy this one. Around here it costs only 25 Euros so that' ll be around 20$ if I' m not mistaken.

Warcraft3 was fun but right now it is collecting dust on the shelf and I won' t bother buying the expansion.
He who keeps the old akindled and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Upon rethinking, Neverwinter nights reminded me of Diablo in 3-d except.....maybe acouple of other differances which escape my mind at the moment. Other then that, it was pretty much Diablo rehashed at me.
-Walter
Harriers for the cup.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I hated Diablo...No matter how many times I tried to play it...Just hated it...Since you made the NWN/Diablo connection, I'm certainly never going to pay for NWN...Maybe someone will just give it to me like they did Diablo, so I can hate it for free, too.
Garf
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Garf »

ExtremeDrinker wrote:I went ahead and preordered the US version of Gothic 2....Should be arriving sometime in early November.....

BTW, Tony's name is actually Mud...And he'll stop bothering you if you just beat him senseless...

If you want to fight in a town and not have everyone gang up on you, put your sword/weapon away and just fist fight..Can't kill anyone, however, no one else gets in on the fight.

German companies make me mad...They released the German version early in the year...Released the UK/English version to the rest of Europe and Australia a few months ago....But gotta wait forever for the US version to come around..
Yeah that's his name Mud. I loved killing that basket-case.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Why'd you even bother asking for advice if you didn't take it? Most people said get Arcanum and they hadn't even played Gothic....
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

satanisgreat wrote:Why'd you even bother asking for advice if you didn't take it?
In case you haven't noticed, let me let you in on a little secret so as to save you a lot of time and effort:

People don't follow advice.

So, the next time someone asks you for advice, give them the most outrageous piece of advice you can think of. Since you're wasting your breath anyway, you might as well have a little bit of fun.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Get The Adventures of Bayou Billy for the NES. It will rock your world, guy.
Jawz II
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jawz II »

get sum cojones!
Drugs R Fun
MorGan
Regular
Regular

Post by MorGan »

Neverwinter nights original campaing sucks. But the game has allready so much custom stuff like mods and models and all kind of good s**t that its worth buying even only for those. I love the editor and am trying to learn all the skripting thingies so i can finally make my mods reality... Arcanum was fairly good... but at that time i didnt have net so i couldnt get any patches or anything. Gothic 2 was great! I giganticly enjoyed it allthough it worked kinda slowly. The bad thing is that Gothic 2 works smoothly only if you have more than 512 RAM. I have 256 so good bye smoothness... I think i'll go play it again...
Ó_o
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I did take the advice...Someone said if I like Gothic 1 so much to go ahead and get Gothic 2...

As for Arcanum...My girlfriend made me write a Christmas gift list for her while she still has a job...So most likely, I'll get it from her at Christmas. Everything else on this list was outlandlishly expensive...(new motorcycle, PS2, 5Megapixel camera)...I was going for the "Just get me Arcanum" angle.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

You better delete that NWN game from your list before I'll friggin' rip your throat off.

Go for either Arcanum or Gothic.
Hello New Jersey
Our Host!