Cult Status

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Cult Status

Post by Alphawulf »

The Fallout series has gained something of a cult status, as have many other games and movies. But in the eyes of the makers/artists and businessmen/investors of games and movies is gaining a cult status a good thing?
Last edited by Alphawulf on Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Yes. Cult status is cool. Cult cult cult. Join the atoga cult. Street cred you know?
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

If there wasn't a cult following for FO games, there would be no new blood out there waiting...no...begging for FO3 to be made. Without said following, the FO liscense might have ended up scrapped.

Take Rocky Horror Picture Show...I bet at least 50% of the cult following are in their teens/twenties...Too young to have even seen the thing in theaters...But that 50% were introduced by the existing 50%'s cult following..Now we're all sweet, happy, transvestites from Transexual, Transylvania.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

o/ Rocky Horror Picture Show is utterly fantastic. Frank N Furter!
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Jack_Deth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jack_Deth »

Movies good
Games bad
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Fire Baaaaaad! FIRE BAD!
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by InvisibleMonkey »

Fire's good, you can do anythign with fire. ANYTHING
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Spam baaaaaaaaad!

Cult status of a movie or game is great. The studio becomes famous or infamous and to be a part of that cult? It's great, although elitist traits are bound to come up.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Mr. Green wrote:Cult status of a movie or game is great. The studio becomes famous or infamous and to be a part of that cult? It's great, although elitist traits are bound to come up.
Unfortunately a studio can't trade on that fame/infamy. Which is why the stuffed shirts looking at the Perot-esque pie graphs would rather have one solid, block buster that no one remembers six months from now than a half-dozen cult favorites.

I'm sure that the designers take pride in games w/cult following -- quickly, someone ask MTC & co.! -- but they can't really trade on that, either.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

I agree with OTB. If you start your own game development team, then you call your friend and say, "I made a game that's a cult hit.". He'd reply, "So you're broke?" then you'd say, "Yah...".

Plus Fallout has become a cult game. When it first came out it was a fairly main-stream PC game, although it did seperate itself from the other games by being the best damn PC or any other game ever. Can you remember what other games you bought or were coming out when you bought Fallout?
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Vangers? Baulder's Gate? Dark Forces? Dark Forces II? SkyNet?
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I got Full Throttle around the same time......That liscense just died.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

I wouldn't call a buncha fans a "cult". There's no belief system, we don't rape minors, maybe "unquestionable gathering", or "a group of geeks with a common liking", but definitly not a "cult".
Hello New Jersey
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

the guardian wrote:I wouldn't call a buncha fans a "cult". There's no belief system, we don't rape minors, maybe "unquestionable gathering", or "a group of geeks with a common liking", but definitly not a "cult".
Come over to my place, and I'll initiate you into the Mysteries of Fallout after we've watched a few "blue" movies, and checked the stock of lubricants. :p

Maybe then you will agree that this is indeed a cult.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Yossarian
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Yossarian »

"unquestionable gathering"...I like the sound of that...

We could also take on the proud name of "Fallout Orthodoxy" and go on messily excommunicating each other...

HERESY! HERESY!
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Then everyone will start taking us seriously.

And OTB... Uh, I only watch "red" movies, sorry.

Wait...
Hello New Jersey
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Cult status isn't really a good or bad thing, it's just different. I don't think the developers of movies ever really make products with the intention of them becoming "cult favorites". Cult products are just products that are usually good in some sort of quality or qualities but for whatever reason they never caught on with the mainstream. Maybe they were poorly marketed, only appealed to a small niche audience, were overshadowed by a bigger product, are hard to find, etc.

The main motivations behind making a game or movie (in the best case senario) is to get the product made while maintaining your artistic integrity, then to expose as many people as possible to it. So no one really wants their product to acheive "cult status", they'd rather it be something everyone's heard about and knows for better or for worse.

Often things that are referred to as "cult" items actually aren't, or were at some point but no longer are. I wouldn't concider Fallout to be a cult game because most of the people I talk to have at least heard of it. There were ads for it in gaming magizines and it's usually mentioned somewhere in web sites and magizine Top RPG articles. I'd just say it's an excellent RPG with an extremely loyal fanbase.
Grey Fil
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Grey Fil »

I think it is a cult game. At the time it was released the CRPG genre was mostly dead because the games had fallen into the high fantasy-fedexed quest stereotipe, and they where not produced because they where boring to most players. Fallout revived the genre by having all the things that a good RPG should have. It has the essential of a ROLEplaying game, roleplaying. It´s not derived from PnP games conceived to milk the consumer cow with rulebooks to regulate the rules in the rulebook, its rules are simple yet efficient. Character creation gives you freedom and (at least for me) playing in such a magnificent, misterious and dangerous world is addictive. The powersthatare saw this magnificent work and thought: -Hurray the RPG genre is alive, let´s revive all those old licenses that whe keep in the safe. And a lot of games with dwarfs, Exp. points and quests reapred, the same old games played again by a new generation.
Fallout was not perfect. Remember Gifted, Ian and the hours spent waiting for your turn in combat. But it has enough of the good things to keep a lot of silly people of all ages, colors,genders,and creeds daydreaming waiting for the next one.
Carpe jugulum.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Fallout is cult - those who like it, like it a lot. I AM HARDCORE?!
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

atoga wrote:Fallout is cult - those who like it, like it a lot. I AM HARDCORE?!
Yeah, but same with the Matrix or Metallica. But they're not cult, they're mainstream. I'm sure there have been plenty of people who played Fallout and said, "yeah, that game's pretty good" and that was it. They just don't post on websites such as this.
Our Host!