Cool beans

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

wouldn't your bones like...shatter though? I'd prefer to have a robot exoskeleton than bones though. Insects have survived longer than most species with a crusty outer shell, so it's the way to go? Cheers mate.
:chew:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Megatron wrote:wouldn't your bones like...shatter though? I'd prefer to have a robot exoskeleton than bones though. Insects have survived longer than most species with a crusty outer shell, so it's the way to go? Cheers mate.
but it's liek you need to stay small insect and have a small dick and stuff if you were like an insect, no ?
you would like dat ?
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I'd have a retractable tentacle penis with armour plating. I need it.
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by InvisibleMonkey »

That just screams The Wrong Trousers.
Hahaha, that is so The Wrong Trousers.
Wallace and Gromit pwn. And that penguin is damn evil, he needs to be shot.
Briareus
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Briareus »

Megatron wrote:I'd have a retractable tentacle penis with armour plating. I need it.
Dude, lay off the Hentai for a while. Seriously.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

eventually, when it gets cheap enough lazy able people are going to start using it and that will be when humanity begins to degenerate physically after millions of years of evolution

eventually we'll just be blobs of brain matter put inside robosuits, a la mr. handy
bey.
Garf
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Garf »

Let's just skip all the BS and move onto being talking heads in jars like so many sci-fi movies have predicted.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

iohkus wrote:eventually, when it gets cheap enough lazy able people are going to start using it and that will be when humanity begins to degenerate physically after millions of years of evolution

eventually we'll just be blobs of brain matter put inside robosuits, a la mr. handy
ah, so brains in strong reliable metal bodys are evil, weak infectable squishy bodys are good?

Robots are the way forward m8. Mankind depends on tools for it's survival, changing shells is the next step forward. And if we build self-aware AIs incharge of things, why need soft humans anymore? So yea, everyone needs to become a cybork for mankind to survive. Plus you get chainsaw arms BZZZZZZ
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

That is so much bullshit. The human body is essentially the same as every other animal, but due to our constant use of tools we have had little chance to evolve because there is no need. I say do away with automated tools and live like we are supposed to!
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

not really. Humans use their intelligence to get ahead, we have no natural weapons, can't survive in any other climate besides room temperature and are pretty useless without clothes, cooked food, weapons etc. The only danger of us being wiped out is from other humans, if we discard what we've evolved into in an evolutionary blink of an eye, another species with high intelligence would start the process again.

I dunno? I'd like a robot body though, nothing could stop me besides stairs.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

GO CHANSAW ARMS!!! On the plus side, no Hammer to ass-rape you. No ass to rape.
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

WEll , wouldn't you like to see what we would have become if we hadn't invented tools?
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Meh, chainsaw arms or bone-blades of doom, I'm satisfied.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

InvisibleMonkey wrote:WEll , wouldn't you like to see what we would have become if we hadn't invented tools?
Cats have a life expectancy in the wild of 2 years. Living domestically they can reasonably expect to live for 15-20 years. This even though they have not had the "hindrance" of using tools for the past 50,000 years which "interfered" with their evolution.

Regardless of what we "would have become" we can still count on our lives outside of civilization being "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short". We're better off improving civilization -- humanity's "protest against Nature" -- than sitting around getting misty-eyed about romanticized possibilities.

Remember, "evolution" by "natural selection" is a species' adaptation to its environment, whatever that environment might be. Humanity's greatest virtue is that it no longer tries to adapt to its environment, but rather adapts the environment to itself. All it has to do is to make sure that its greatest virtue doesn't become its greatest vice.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Garf
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Garf »

InvisibleMonkey wrote:That is so much bullshit. The human body is essentially the same as every other animal, but due to our constant use of tools we have had little chance to evolve because there is no need. I say do away with automated tools and live like we are supposed to!
Naa, evolving takes millions of years and the state that we're at right now has only been around for like 50,000 years so little to nothing would be noticiable. If anything though what does evolve is we keep becoming smarter. Not a bad thing, heh.

Some studies have shown that the average male's feet has gone up in size since the Mesopotamia days (3500 B.C.E.). Though it could just be our different eating habbits changing our bone structure over the years. Not really sure.
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

You know cats aren't exactly the rulers of the forest. We are much different than cats are. And the world is extremely over populated right now, and if we had a short life expectency then it would become the norm.
Garf
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Garf »

InvisibleMonkey wrote:You know cats aren't exactly the rulers of the forest. We are much different than cats are. And the world is extremely over populated right now, and if we had a short life expectency then it would become the norm.
Hmm.. I hope you're not an Anarchist :) . Destroying 5,500 years of human work towards improved civilization is not the answer, heh.

When "man" first adapted the environment to his needs it was only semi-hazardous areas. He then started adapting places like the desert, the tropics, the tundra, etc.. Now he has adapted the depths of the ocean and can even inhabit the most coldest or warmest spots on the outer globe.

It is only logical "man" will take the next step of adapting an even worse environment to his needs.. i.e. Other planets. That's the next huge step, though it probably won't be seen in our life-time.

This is just my opinion though.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

InvisibleMonkey wrote:You know cats aren't exactly the rulers of the forest. We are much different than cats are. And the world is extremely over populated right now, and if we had a short life expectency then it would become the norm.
And neither were any of our forebearers. People have still profited from anything that reduces their succeptibility to disease, which is the big killer, if nothing else because it renders things more succeptible to other things that will end it.

Come again on that bit about short lifespans and over population being the norm.
Garf wrote:...Other planets. That's the next huge step, though it probably won't be seen in our life-time.
Considering the notorious lack of profit associated with space exploration, I'm w/you on this one. Unless either; a) it becomes an absolute necessity due to our having depleted everything worth mentioning here, or b) we cast aside our current economic model and seek other motives besides profit.

OTB
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Come again on that bit about short lifespans and over population being the norm.
What I mena is that now, the average lifespan is maybe 70 somthing or so. But if you lived without all the high tech equipment that basically does everything for you, the lifespan would be lower, for a while thus lowering the human population to a more manageable level. And that if the lifespan was around 50, which is when everything starts to wear down, then people would start to mture much sooner in life, so it would basically be the same as it is now, just happening sooner. That's how I see it anyway
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

InvisibleMonkey wrote:What I mena is that now, the average lifespan is maybe 70 somthing or so. But if you lived without all the high tech equipment that basically does everything for you, the lifespan would be lower, for a while thus lowering the human population to a more manageable level. And that if the lifespan was around 50, which is when everything starts to wear down, then people would start to mture much sooner in life, so it would basically be the same as it is now, just happening sooner. That's how I see it anyway
Wouldn't birth control be a better solution than having everyone drop dead much earlier?

While I agree w/"quality over quantity", unless someone is laying somewhere writhing in pain because of something eating their insides people do not generally say, "You know, I've lived long enough, I think I'll go out and lay me down to sleep...forever." There really is no such thing as "lived long enough", at least not in the span of years that humans have achieved at this point. (Documented, that is. Please, no biblical patriarch arguments.)

You are on to something about the "maturing sooner", since it was common practice in the past to shunt people off into marriage as soon as they hit sexual maturity, but that would lead to a population explosion itself if people were more resistant to disease. In the ancient Mediteranean world infant mortality within the first two years was something approaching 60% and that was due to disease. Accompanied w/a high rate of death among women due to childbirth or complications arising from it this was an effective check on population growth. Take these factors away, and you'll have humans multiplying like rabbits since they will be mating much sooner, which is a better way to have a population explosion than simply extending the lifespan. This is why cockroaches outnumber us, even though they have no medical technology.

OTB
Our Host!