Cool beans

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Cool beans

Post by Doyle »

<a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 0821084042" target="_blank">Robot suit helps people walk.</a> It looks a bit too bulky to me, although the final product might take up less space than that prototype in the picture.
Literacy is overated.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

That just screams The Wrong Trousers.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

I am interested in the Army's exeskelton project, from what I've read it seems like it could possibly work, plus it's hardly bulky.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Damn crazy technology multiplying quadruples of times since the 50's... I swear, Fallout's not too far away. It just SCREAMS power armor!
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

That think on his/her back is not part of the "suit."

It's a backpack. (so it may not be extremely clunky afterall)
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

A backpack with a fan and wires coming out? Anyway, I was refering to the leg pieces. Those bits at the joing look like they're jutting out at least 4 or 5 inches.
Literacy is overated.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

I agree, the legs look all I-had-a-really-fast-growth-spurt-concentrated-in-my-legs.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

I want one of those just so I can be lazy.

(I bet you would have to relax your legs entirely for it to work, but if you're parilized, that's already done for you!)
Grey Fil
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Grey Fil »

It actually doesent look very bulky. And the final product will probably be half the size. I bet every person with difficulty in walking is hoping they finish it soon. But if the backpack (wich is part of the system) is heavy it might be a problem for some people. And the US army exoskeleton project must have been initiated by some Fallout fan. That system will probably be used in urban warfare scenarios where heavy protection for infantry is most important and useful and the loss of stealth and agility are not a great disadvantage. What is the latest info on that project?
Carpe jugulum.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Grey Fil wrote:...the US army exoskeleton project must have been initiated by some Fallout fan.
Sorry GF, but ideas like Power Armor and Exoskeletons have been around since before even the oldest FO designers and/or fans were so much as itches in their pappy's nether regions. :lol:

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

The US version is pretty bulky (so far as the pictures I saw a few years back)..The Japanese can't make things bulky or heavy...Think about it...They're like little yellow Leprichans..
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

With very, very small genitals.
Grey Fil
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Grey Fil »

ideas like Power Armor and Exoskeletons have been around since before even the oldest FO designers and/or fans were so much as itches in their pappy's nether regions
That would be something like 60´s or 70`s, are you serious? I never found any reference about it before.

As for the Japanese making smaller stuff, one friend of mine once said something like:
The europeans theorise, the americans build prototypes, the japanese make thousands of miniaturized versions and the chinese millions of illegal copies. :lol:
Carpe jugulum.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

grey Fil wrote:That would be something like 60´s or 70`s, are you serious? I never found any reference about it before.
That's cause it was TEH TOP SEKRET PROJEKT.

Japanese really know what they are doing most of the time... I wonder how they have created such a standard of hard work without revolts (throughout their history) (do they still have an emporer?)
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Strapon2 wrote:
grey Fil wrote:That would be something like 60´s or 70`s, are you serious? I never found any reference about it before.
That's cause it was TEH TOP SEKRET PROJEKT.

Japanese really know what they are doing most of the time... I wonder how they have created such a standard of hard work without revolts (throughout their history) (do they still have an emporer?)
i think it has something to do with their way of life, it's like obeying and not questioning authorities and the like, Keiretsu and stuff
for more details ask the japan experts, i am not that much into japanese culture
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

As Hammer mentioned...Could be the small genitals...Maybe their rulers all have giant schlongs..
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Plus they have some crazy-scary secret police activity in Japan.
Literacy is overated.
Briareus
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Briareus »

Wait, it's only $8k? :shock: Damn, that's cheap.
Evil Natured Robot
Respected
Respected

Post by Evil Natured Robot »

This is a good way to start actually making exoskeleton machines and getting them out on the market. From what I've seen and read, there has been an ongoing attempt to design exoskeletons for the army, for moving heavy objects, etc. Most of the problems have been centered around the back and legs, balancing the load-carrying ability of the machine with actual usability by a human. Starting off by making one for people who aren't try to, say, carry a piano seems like a good idea.
I'll get you, Yoshimi.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

I want movement assisting leg braces that make me run really really fast. Boy would that be sweet.
Our Host!