Paranoid Ravings About The IPLAY Boards

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Doyle wrote:Satan, it's like a death from a thousand cuts. He's changing a lot from the first games. Even if most of his changes when viewed as individual items aren't defining elements of Fallout, if you change enough "minor" elements you end up with a pretty different game.
Well, the old system was far from perfect. I don't like the idea of both RT and TB in the same game either, and Sawyer admits it will probably have a negative impact on the game. That's probably the biggest change he's (well, not just him...) making and most likely where alot of the negative feedback is coming from. The only way I could see that working is if it was on two seperate discs, almost like two seperate games (like the Simulation and Arcade discs for Gran Turismo 2). But, hey, time will tell.

The bottom line is: at least he's making the game. And there's a high probablility that it's not going to be cancelled like Jefferson, BIS just couldn't afford that. BIS doesn't have to make the game. But they are, and they're listening to fan feedback about it. Whether they use good suggestions or not, I don't know, but at least they're hearing it.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

One of the impacts I think that the whole RT/TB thing will have is on the maps themselves. Like it or not, TB and RT games aren't played well on the same type of maps, which we should all know from having played FoT.

TB maps should generally have cover close enough together so that someone can make it from one piece of cover to another in one turn, assuming that they have something like the normal number of APs. RT maps, on the other hand, have to be somewhat over-sized so that in the throes of passionate clicking the player can still manage some semblance of control w/o having to make microscopic adjustments.

Maybe if they stick w/a hexagonal system -- which I understand they are -- or perhaps move to an octagonal system these issues can be resolved. At any rate, I certainly hope so.

Briosafreak is right, though, it's not time to throw in the towel yet, even for those of you who despise the direction the game is going in. Raise your voice! Make yourself heard!

Er...but don't do by calling into question the devs' sexual habits/practices/tastes, insulting their intelligence, or by other infantile means.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Briareus
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Briareus »

Inin wrote:It may seem like JE is tweaking/updating, but anyone who has kept tabs on BIS knows that what they say and what they do are two totally separate things. This is their Standard Operating Procedure.
You're being sarcastic, right? Normally I have a pretty good intuition when it comes to detecting sarcasm, but you got me here.
Inin wrote:I didn't decide that JE was f**cking up F3. Interplay did, when they put him in charge of F3, instead of another Icewind Dale sequel. It's like hiring your gardener who does a damn good job on your lawn, to completely redecorate the interior of your house. JE is making F3 from a D&D mindset, kinda like Feargus' work/quests in F1 and F2(research these).
Remind me never to play poker with you 'cause I swear I can't tell that you're being sarcastic. You got me good.
Grey Fil
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Grey Fil »

My main concern with F3 is actually not about gameplay but the storyline. I´m afraid it´s going to be the kind of game that so many people actually like: fedexing to gain exp and finishing bosses to advance to the next level/city. These things are part of RPG´s but they need to have consistency and plausability. It made a lot of sense to me the timed main quest or the quest to save the girl from the raiders in F1. In F2 some of the quests already had no sense like the sleeping ghoul in the coffin. Most quests in BG or NWN or Windy dale where of this silly type. Killing spiders to get a pair of boots and a bottle of wine for an old hag in another town makes absolutly no sense to me.
Carpe jugulum.
Inin
Regular
Regular

Post by Inin »

You guys did read the title of the thread, didn't you?

Alright, now that you've read it again, re-read what I wrote. Does it make a little more (non)sense?

As for if/when F3 comes out, I'll do what I usually do: Borrow the game or backup copy from someone, if I like it, I go out and buy it. Anybody ever buy a car without test-driving it? Now you know what I mean.

One more before I go back to lurking:

Fallout 3: Tales of the Cali Coast

:p

-Inin
Fight the Good Fight-
and die with the enemies' heart in your hand.
Our Host!